Help! I just had to get X-Rays without the iron apron! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 12-18-2003, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not happy today. I had a car accident last January and have had residual pain, so I agreed with my chiropractor's suggestion that I get some more x-rays to see if there were any changes in my spine. I figured it would be okay (though not ideal) since we are taking a break from ttc (I'm on CD 9 or 10 of my "break cycle").

In the clinic next door to my chiropractor, there is equipment for x-rays, so my chiropractor does the x-rays himself using that equipment. My chiropractor knows that I've been trying to get pregnant, though I think he forgot it.

Anyway, we get over there and he is telling me where to stand, and I ask him to please give me a lead apron. He looks around only to discover that they don't have any. He offers to send me to a walk in radiology clinic, but I would have to pay for that out of pocket whereas my chiropractor has a lien on my settlement and will be paid by my attorney when my pain and suffering settlement is received. The walk in clinic does not take liens.

Ssssooooo...I basically couldn't afford to leave, but I have been really desperate for answers and didn't feel like I could afford not to do the x-rays if it would help speed my recovery (which would ultimately help me have a healthy pregnancy).

My chiropractor said that the x-rays were columnized by a lead shield so that basically the x-rays would be directed only at my neck/head region. He also said it was relatively low levels of radiation, which is why that clinic doesn't keep the aprons around. He said it is basically the same level of radiation a person gets on an airplane (ultraviolet rays). He said if I was pregnant the x-rays would be contraindicated, but he didn't know whether getting the x-rays could effect my ability to get pregnant. I also asked about how long it would take for the radiation to leave my body, and he said that is something he doesn't remember learning.

I ended up agreeing to do them, but I asked that he not do more than 3 or 4 pictures, which he was very good about. Am I crazy? Was this a total screw up or will things be fine? How much did I put myself at risk here? Anyone know anything about x-rays? I wish I had some information...or better yet, some comforting information!

Sierra

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
#2 of 13 Old 12-19-2003, 01:38 AM

X-rays, are generally considered a no-no when pregnant, so most holistic folks considered them a non while TTC.

OTOH, people do do things before they know they are pregnant, and have babies that are just fine.

I've heard that seaweed, (kelp, dulse) is said to be a guard against the effects of radiation exposure. So if it were me, I'd cut myself some slack, eat some miso soup, have a seaweed salad, and Ball my chiropractor out for not having an apron.
#3 of 13 Old 12-19-2003, 01:56 AM

Sierra --

You're fine (in my totally not-professional opinion). I was looking up rad levels (rads are what they measure radiation in, isn't that a cool new thing to know?) and your x-ray is really low on the scale.

Maybe you want to do a google search, but everything I saw leads me to believe you're fine

hth!

BTW, I'm wishing you a speedy recovery My little sister had a terrible car-accident related injury a year or so before she concieved my niece. She had had PID several times and had been told she was infertile. I believe that after the settlement (a year or so after the accident), she got some chiropratic care -- not enough, as she's still in chronic pain -- and that may have helped with her conception. We don't know, but I agree with your belief that the chiropractic care will help you, and thus your chances of concieving! All the best
#4 of 13 Old 12-19-2003, 11:39 AM

sierra,

try not to worry too much about it. before i knew i was pregnant with dd i had 4 dental xrays taken without the apron ("could you be pregnant?" "no" ) . of course i worried about it the entire pregnancy, but i still had an uncomplicated pregnancy. you probably still want to go do your own research on ridding any 'leftovers' from your body. maybe try asking in the healthy home and body forum?
#5 of 13 Old 12-19-2003, 11:48 AM

Sierra, hopefully I can put your mind at ease.
I am a Registered Veterinary Technician (retired) and because animals do not stay in one place while the technician runs behind a lead wall, we of course always had to stay right with them. We wore our docimeters (device to detect level of radiation absorbed) on the outside of our cloths and lead aprons to be on the safe side (Health Canada regulation) After 9 years of taking x-rays (and I worked at a referral practice where we took LOTS of x-rays) my cumulative (and the meter does not account for your body getting rid of the radiation over time) count was equivilent to if we directly x-rayed the meter itself 4 times, and I litterally took 40 x-rays a day.
As a further way to put your mind at ease, we took x-rays of my cat yesterday, using a large plate with the intention of splitting it (you do this by placing a lead sheet over the half you want to use next) Well since my cat was trying to kill us, we forgot to put the lead on the plate, when we developed it there was a half centimetre area where there was mild exposure beyond where we had focused the cone, and that was with an old x-ray machine, the technology today is SO far ahead of this machine, no comparison.
In my slightly more educated opinion, you are just fine, so don't worry about it--K?
#6 of 13 Old 12-19-2003, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the comforting words! I feel sssooooo much better. I am eating a lot of nori today because I happened to have it around the house, and I'm going to drink lots of water to help my body deal, but I am feeling much less worried, and I know that it might not even matter.

Thanks again everyone!

A very relieved,
Sierra

#7 of 13 Old 12-20-2003, 11:09 PM

T
Hi Sierra! I feel like you are a long lost friend!
I hope things are going splendid in your life. Wishing you
only the best.
#8 of 13 Old 12-20-2003, 11:30 PM

FWIW -- I had two series of CT scans done on my pelvis before I knew I was pregnant with my son.

The radiation levels even then were not enough to worry the doctors overmuch, and I had a live fetus in direct path of the radiation.

My son is perfect, despite much agonizing on my part. Based on all the reading I did when I was worrying about this, I'd say you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Just thought I'd share my experience to hopefully give you a little peace of mind.

Carrie
Mama to Nate (11/02) and due 4/12/11
#9 of 13 Old 12-21-2003, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter

Missgrl, I feel like I am long-lost too hee hee hee. I miss you much and hope we don't ever fall out of contact.

PaganScribe, thanks so much for sharing your story. That really helps!

Sierra

#10 of 13 Old 12-27-2013, 11:39 PM

Hi, i had two dental xrays during the 8-10 weeks of my pregnancy. The thing is i was not provided with a lead apron. I'm quite worried about this as I am carrying my baby girl, 21 weeks now going to 22. I know the beam was not directed at my ovaries or pelvis region (i hope) but am worried about scatter or background. Does anybody know anything about this?

#11 of 13 Old 12-27-2013, 11:52 PM

Hi, i had two dental xrays during the 8-10 weeks of my pregnancy. The thing is i was not provided with a lead apron. I'm quite worried about this as I am carrying my baby girl, 21 weeks now going to 22. I know the beam was not directed at my ovaries or pelvis region (i hope) but am worried about scatter or background. Does anybody know anything about this? Please help me How much did I put my baby at risk here? :(

#12 of 13 Old 12-28-2013, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Why would you post the same exact thing 10 times?

Kyle and Jordan - Married June 22nd, 2013

TTC #1 since October 2013.

My chart -

One loss - March 2014 (5 weeks)

BFP on June 13, 2014 - EDD 2/25/2014
First Beta at 12DPO-186. 15DPO-598!

#13 of 13 Old 12-31-2013, 02:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I deleted the duplicate posts.  I think the take away from this thread is that it really isn't a thing to worry about, and I don't know that you will get any further information here.  I think it is more of a concern in the first trimester when the baby is in the embryonic stage and there is a lot of cell division going on, but I'm not really sure because I'm not a medical professional.  You may want to talk to your OB or midwife about your concerns, if you really cannot get past the anxiety. Pregnancy can be  a time of much greater anxiety, and a greater feeling of vulnerability. Best wishes to you in a healthy pregnancy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page