Different types of PCOS??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-04-2009, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My GP seems to think that if anything, my 'problem' is PCOS (he says I have low testosterone that falls slightly below the 'average' and that to him that is an indicator of a type of PCOS)???.... I said I do not think that this fits at all as I have normal cycles (okay - slightly longer than the average - though has been shortened on a variety of vitamins - but nothing outstanding) and I ovulate regularly (but what do I know?). He says that there are different types of PCOS though. Does anyone know about these different typse? Do you have PCOS? - What type? A different type that what is classified as the most common form of PCOS?

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 03-04-2009, 06:22 PM

There are not different types of PCOS, but there are levels of severity. A great site to check out is www.soulcysters.net which is dedicated to PCOS. You may still have PCOS even if you have regular cycles. In fact, you may not have any symptoms except for hormone levels being wonky and still have PCOS--(although typically it's high testosterone). Sometimes it takes quite a while for any of the symptoms to wag their ugly heads! I have PCOS although I was just Dx in December and never knew until then. I have very few symptoms...weird cycles and excess estrogen.
#3 of 6 Old 03-06-2009, 04:40 AM

YES
there is very much different types of PCOS, this is because it is a syndrome and not a clearly defined disease, that site that was mentioned is very very good, read through the Newbie roadmap and it will teach you a lot, including that the the standard medical breakdown of types is:

1. traditional PCOS -
- anovulatory, increased androgens, no insulin resistance

2. endocrine syndrome X -
- anovulatory, increased androgens, insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes

3. non-traditional PCOS -
-anovulatory, normal androgens, obese, insulin resistant or type 2 diabetes

4. non-traditional PCOS -
- ovulatory, increased androgens, mild insulin resistance

5. idiopathic hirsutism -
- ovulatory, increased androgens, no insulin resistance

i myself was a 2 and now am more like a 4, this is a very good step in my book.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#4 of 6 Old 03-06-2009, 04:41 AM

ps low testosterone does not sound like a reason to suspect PCOS and doctors often like to blame a lot of PCOS, read up on things and ask you doctor to explain his thinking

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#5 of 6 Old 03-13-2014, 10:41 AM

I have PCOS and the doctor told me that its when the Testosterone level is higher than the estrogen level and thats it causes an imbalance in your body. What is the action of course that your fellow doctors decided to take for. you. mine put me on Mediformin and all it does is makes me hurt worst and constantly have diarraha everyday

#6 of 6 Old 03-22-2014, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

Hmmm I'm pretty sure I'm a type 4. With my son they really thought I was ovulating but we just didn't conceive until clomid, no real explanation as to why. I definitely have a lot of IR, both parents are type II.

Just starting TTC#2 and had some midcycle bleeding/spotting? Very weird. Didn't see a lot of O symptoms this month. Last month I had a 33 day cycle. This is about my 5th cycle PP I think, we are still nursing but not at night.

ecstatic about BFP #2 after another round of Clomid,
TWINS!
EDD 2/15/2015
thrilled to welcome #1 after 17 months of ttc, 1 round of Clomid

DS LG  08/03/12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page