What can cause really early ovulation? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-04-2009, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've looked around on the internet, no help. Two cycles ago it looks like I ovulated on day 5, after a period that lasted 2.5 days. The whole cycle was 17 days long, which means my luteal phase was 12 days.

I can't be 100% certain that I ovulated at all during that cycle, because that was the first cycle I charted and I don't have enough bbt's to say for sure that there was a significant rise. But I had two low temps on day 4 & 5, then a spike on day 6, and it stayed up until I got my period again. So....it could be. What would cause such an early ovulation? Anyone had this happen?

Jen, mom of  two amazing girls, b. 2/16/06  and 1/29/10 hbac.gif

#2 of 9 Old 03-06-2009, 04:48 AM

what was your cycle before that like? you said the AF was short, was it also light? when i had a persistent cyst one cycle, i had break-thru bleeding when i would have normally gotten AF and then the cyst either O'd or popped and i got a period about 10 days later after the progesterone from that cyst faded away, i was fine the next cycle, things like that just happen, we really only notice it because we watch everything so close.

the other thing is that it could have just been a strange egg or a stressful month, you might never know why you have the occasional strange cycle, and as long as they are not often, they are nothing to fret about

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#3 of 9 Old 03-06-2009, 06:43 AM

The only times I have o'd early are after an annovulatory cycle. If you don't have 6 pre-o temps to compare, it's really hard to say. It may be possible that the 2½ days of bleeding were actually ovulatory "spotting" and your LP was 17 days. Sometimes, there are just too many variables to really know what happened.

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
#4 of 9 Old 03-06-2009, 11:38 AM

Are you taking any kind of supplements? I have read that Vitex can make you ovulate early.

Amanda:- mommy of 4 boys ages, 5, 4, and 2 & Welcome, Kyler! 11/27/09 via emergency c-sec.
#5 of 9 Old 03-06-2009, 06:38 PM

am in the same boat, wondering the same thing...this cycle, period lasted about 4 days, I had EWCM on day 5, spiked temp on day 6 and I FEEL like I already o'd...i'm on CD 8 today - this whole cycle has caught me by surprise since I didn't expect it so soon...we BD'd last night but we may have missed our window!

btw, it's my 1st month using my CBEFM and it isn't counting it as high yet...DH asked if it was "time" last night since he knows I've been charting and monitoring...all I could say is "who knows, it's all a crap shoot"

oh, well...i guess if AF comes in a couple weeks, it'll be that much sooner we can try again.

and interesting comment about the vitex, i am taking it and just increased my dosage a couple weeks ago...
#6 of 9 Old 03-07-2009, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Interesting thoughts - it could well have been the cycle after an anovulatory cycle. I wasn't charting during that one but it was only 21 days long. One of the ob's at the practice I go to insisted that was still within normal range, but everything else I've read says 24 days is the lower end of normal.

Anyway, I should have added that I'm 39 years old, which might have something to do with this. So far, in my current cycle, I'm on day 22, which is the 9th day of high temps after my shift, and I think we timed the bd-ing well, so here's hoping!

And yes, I'm using vitex, but I just started that recently - I wasn't using it during those short cycles. I think this time it might have helped regulate things. Or maybe it's just a coincidence, and my cycle would have gotten back on track anyway. I have been really careful with my diet, also, which I do believe has helped. I'm feeling better, anyway, and able to get up in the morning without caffeine for the first time in quite a while, and that's saying something for me!

#7 of 9 Old 03-07-2009, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariel0419 View Post
am in the same boat, wondering the same thing...this cycle, period lasted about 4 days, I had EWCM on day 5, spiked temp on day 6 and I FEEL like I already o'd...i'm on CD 8 today - this whole cycle has caught me by surprise since I didn't expect it so soon...we BD'd last night but we may have missed our window!

btw, it's my 1st month using my CBEFM and it isn't counting it as high yet...DH asked if it was "time" last night since he knows I've been charting and monitoring...all I could say is "who knows, it's all a crap shoot"

oh, well...i guess if AF comes in a couple weeks, it'll be that much sooner we can try again.

and interesting comment about the vitex, i am taking it and just increased my dosage a couple weeks ago...
That's almost exactly how mine was, almost to the day! We tried to catch it, but we only bd'd the one time and it was probably too late, if there was a chance at all that cycle. Good luck with the CBEFM - let us know how it works for you guys! I thought about buying one a while back, but then I heard about FAM and decided to try that first.

#8 of 9 Old 03-08-2009, 12:26 AM

I've read that vitex will regulate cycles so that is great for your case!! But I've also read that it can make you O early or later, too! I guess it just depends on the person. Hopefully you will notice a great differance and get your BFP soon! Best of luck and TONS of babydust!!!

Amanda:- mommy of 4 boys ages, 5, 4, and 2 & Welcome, Kyler! 11/27/09 via emergency c-sec.
#9 of 9 Old 03-08-2009, 08:07 AM

Last month I Od on cd10 and I swear it was the maca. I hope it happens again this month.

Whatever will be, already is...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page