TTC with Maca~ stepping into spring - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 144 Old 04-09-2009, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well... it goes well into smoothies - especially with lots of berries (you can still taste it a little, but it is subtle) It tastes good in hot chocolate too, but the powder is kinda grainy, so it settles to the bottom. :
Also I have bought empty capsules in a drugstore (size 00 is good) and stuffed them with the powder using gloves - it made maca really easy to take, and still affordable. Just turn on a good tv show and get going. My DH also takes it and the capsules make it so much easier.
Good luck!

sleepytime.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 144 Old 04-09-2009, 04:02 PM

It tastes pretty good in a smoothie, actually.
I find that if you blend it really well (in a blender) rather than mixing it with a spoon that it tastes much better. When I blend it with some apple juice, it's almost palatable!

Sheila, mother to William and Min Hee, wife of David
#123 of 144 Old 04-12-2009, 08:37 PM

bumpity bump

sleepytime.gif
#124 of 144 Old 04-12-2009, 08:47 PM

Name: Chrystina
What kind of Maca you are taking:Macafem cap(along with OneADay prenantals)
How much Maca you take: 6 a day (3 morning & 3 at night)
How has it changed your cycle so far? Haven't had a cycle yet!!?? since January comeing off Birth Control

Here is my story:
My husband and I wanted to get a head start on TTC but it has been a lot harder than I thought to get pregnant, so that is why I'm here.
I just got off Birth Control in January 09. I just started Maca so it can regulate me and make me start my period since I haven't had a "normal" period yet so it keeps leading me to believe that I am pregnant but the preg tests keep coming out negative.
I either want my period to come on or be pregnant this waiting game is so annoying. I've had spotting to light blood that only lasts when I wipe so I don't know if that’s my period or that is implantation bleeding.
If anyone has suggestions or stories about their Maca journey I would love to hear them and will be open to anything.
So glad I'm not the only one out there trying Maca (I thought I was, lol), and so relieved and glad I found people to talk to that can help!!!
#125 of 144 Old 04-12-2009, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome IngramBaby#1 I added you to the OP

Whatever will be, already is...

#126 of 144 Old 04-12-2009, 10:33 PM

Thanks for the add:
#127 of 144 Old 04-12-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Name: TatianaTiger
What kind of Maca you are taking: Maca Magic Capsules
How much Maca you take: 2000mg/day
How has it changed your cycle so far? I'm not sure, it's my first day
Hi everyone,
I'm just beginning taking maca and I'm so excited to see how it impacts my cycle. Recently I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and my cycle is really long and irregular, averaging about every 42 days. I'm hoping maca will help with both my thyroid and making my cycle more regular.

Can maca make your cycle shorter? Or does it just help with regularity?

jog.gifkid.gif

#128 of 144 Old 04-12-2009, 11:59 PM

Quote:
TatianaTiger-Can maca make your cycle shorter? Or does it just help with regularity?
I think it is suppose to make you more regular. Just becuase of what I know form reading about Maca how it stimulates the endocrine system (the one in charge of regulating hormones) to keep the body hormones balanced.
It has not made a difference in me yet, probably because I just started the maca pills, I'm hoping it regulates me out enough for my period to start (I'm coming off Birth Control) but I think it is suppose to regulate you out. Hope this helps!
#129 of 144 Old 04-13-2009, 01:05 AM

Ingram- I hope it helps too! I know it helped me out immensely! Good luck!

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#130 of 144 Old 04-13-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
lauren31-I hope it helps too! I know it helped me out immensely! Good luck!
Thanks I need all the luck I can get, lol. Good luck to you too!!!!
#131 of 144 Old 04-13-2009, 11:00 PM

Well... in my first cycle on maca - I am CD20 and still haven't O'd. I don't think it's maca, as much as my stress and obsession over TTC. I'm going to keep taking it and hoping, but I think I'm going back to the Dr to have my thyroid rechecked...
Hugs to everyone here...

sleepytime.gif
#132 of 144 Old 04-13-2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
I don't think it's maca, as much as my stress and obsession over TTC. I'm going to keep taking it and hoping, but I think I'm going back to the Dr to have my thyroid rechecked...
Sorry your feeling stressed!!! Hopfully the maca can start working for you soon!!! Good Luck:
#133 of 144 Old 04-20-2009, 07:55 PM

Sweetie - so sorry - this happened to me too. I have since found out that if you stop taking the vitex (not sure about maca - but could be the same deal as it supports your hormones), you can trigger a miscarry. They suggest you take throughout the first trimester and then slowly ween off once the baby has started taking over production of the hormones. I wish someone would have told me that before I stopped. I found a bunch of forums that told you to stop, but it's not true. Stay on it!
#134 of 144 Old 04-21-2009, 05:29 PM

thanks. i actually stayed on the maca, but dropped the vitex about 1.5 weeks before the miscarriage, but I'd be interested to know more about this, as I've helped a woman concieve on vitex and she stopped immediately, and has been b'h fine (shes in her 2nd trimester).

I'm taking maca here amd there but with no regularity...yet. I stopped a week or so into the miscarriage.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#135 of 144 Old 04-22-2009, 03:58 PM

I've only been taking Maca for about two weeks but I think it's helping. My cycles are very long and irregular. My period came today, two days earlier than the period before this one 41 vs 43 days It also came really suddenly and forcefully. Usually I spot for a long time, up to a week, and they my period will come. Well this time, not spotting at all. TMI, but it was dripping in the toilet bowl this morning when I used the bathroom. That's how it started. I think this is a really good sign that Maca is working and helping to regulate my cycles.

I can't say for sure that the change is 100% Maca. Last month I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and started thyroid meds about 3 weeks ago. So both the thyroid meds and Maca were different.

jog.gifkid.gif

#136 of 144 Old 05-18-2009, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Bumpity bump

Whatever will be, already is...

#137 of 144 Old 05-18-2009, 06:56 PM

Hi there,
I posted this in a separate thread, but was directed here. I am TTC #3, after getting lucky on the first tries w/ 1&2. I guess I am a bit older now!
So after 6 mos of trying, I have decided to try maca. I just purchased a huge bottle of royal maca from whole foods. The dosing is 1/3 tsp = 833 mg of gelatinized root powder, and the suggestion is to take 1/3 to 1/2 tsp a day. Isn't that a low dosage? I feel I've seen women on here talking about 1-2 tsp a day, or dosage of 1500-2000 mg a day. Am I right? What are people taking?
I also read all about the "cocktails" people make to get it down. Can you cook it? Why can't I just throw a few tsp into tomato sauce or whatever I am serving for dinner?

Katherine mother to DS 8/03 and DD1 9/06 and DD2 6/10
#138 of 144 Old 05-19-2009, 02:14 AM

Update - I got knocked up the first month after starting maca!!!! ::::
to all of the mamas

sleepytime.gif
#139 of 144 Old 05-19-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinak1977 View Post
Update - I got knocked up the first month after starting maca!!!! ::::
to all of the mamas
Wow, that's so exciting :::

I've been taking Maca for about a month and a half. My cycles are still really long, about 42 days, but I think I ovulated yesterday : I'll update in the end of May

jog.gifkid.gif

#140 of 144 Old 10-06-2009, 02:19 PM

Hi! I have a quick question that I hope someone can answer for me. I am considering buying the "maca magic" capsules. They say they are 500mg each recommended dosage is 2-6 capsules daily. Do I really need to take 3000mg a day?

Also, is there a better brand out there I should try? It appears that everyone is taking something different. I definetly want capsules though.

Any opinions would be GREATLY appreciated as I would like to put in my order today.
#141 of 144 Old 10-06-2009, 03:52 PM

I would try the Maca magic powder. My container costs asround $19.00 @ my local health food store and isn't much different from their website.
just google maca magic.

I take two teaspoons a day, and it lasts.
I'm not sure how long this container should last bc I don't know how to do the conversion, but i can tell you its definitely over a month.

I have my husband on the capsules of maca, not maca magic, but another brand. I think its NOW brand. I may change to another (better) brand for him because i can't get him to take the powder..

I do not mind the powder AT ALL. I just mix it in a little water and shoot it back.

I'm convinced the cycles I was on maca, they were a little shorter. I kinda got lazy and stopped taking it before this month (and got lazy with my whole regime of exercising, eating low GI, etc.) and my cycles went back up to 38 days the past two cycles.

I'm not fooling around anymore, and i really want to try to stick to things, and I believe the Maca makes a difference in me.

fyi, i have 'mild' pcos.
#142 of 144 Old 10-06-2009, 05:11 PM

Hi Leelo! Thanks for the message. I ended up getting the Maca Magic capsules/ 500mg each. It sounds like I may need to take 6 capsules a day though... maybe I will try the powder after the first month.

I have DOR issues... have had three miscarriages since last November, one chemical and two after we detected a heart beat. My FSH has been high since my loss in February (not sure if it was prior to that or not), and my cycles all wacky with low AFC. I don't know that this will help me, but figure it's worth a shot and if anything it may help with the night sweats I get some months due to low estrogen. I never thought I would be going through all of this at 34 years that's for sure!

I have also considered taking vitex, even bought some fertility blend that I haven't taken. I guess I am just scared of it messing things up worse... not that they could get any worse I suppose.

Thanks again!
#143 of 144 Old 10-06-2009, 06:21 PM

I would not do the vitex. I'd try the MACA first since it is known to stabilize things. Have you gotten any insight in to the miscarriage issues? If you see an RE, they will take hormone levels once you are pregnant especially with a history of previous miscarriages. Maybe they can address the problem?

I would also start a post addressing your issues if you haven't already.
There is so much advice and support on here!

#144 of 144 Old 10-06-2009, 06:27 PM

After re-reading, I can see that you've gotten your hormones tested.

Are you being seen by an OB or an RE once pregnant? If possible, i'd move to an RE since they can better address the hormonal/low AFC issues.

I'm sorry for your losses.

The bright side is that you know you can get pregnant!

I wish the best for you.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page