Sooo...anyone ever get a BFN 13 dpo and still turn up preg? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 03-11-2009, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I tested this a.m. and didn't see what I wanted to see...but is it still possible? Af is definitely due today, at the very latest. Yesterday would have been "on time" according to my average. So, I'm really not late yet....but I did use the "Answer" brand that supposedly detects it 5 days earlier....sigh.

What do you guys think? Thanks....

Jen, mom of  two amazing girls, b. 2/16/06  and 1/29/10 hbac.gif

#2 of 36 Old 03-11-2009, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I don't track ovulation but I have taken as long as 12 weeks past lmp to get a positive before and the earliest I've gotten a positive was 6 weeks past lmp.

I'd give a few more days and try again.
#3 of 36 Old 03-11-2009, 08:54 AM

Yes. I never got a positive hpt when I was pregnant and it took till 25 dpo to get a positive blood test. A girlfriend of my NEVER got a positive htp. She would pee on sticks at 35 or 36 weeks just to see what would happen and still got negative tests.

Body, I've been more than patient. Please make a baby. Please?
always loving my babies. (May 08)(April 09)(August 09)(September 09) (December 10)
#4 of 36 Old 03-11-2009, 09:06 AM

Yes, for some reason this time, I didn't geta positive until 18 or so days past ovulation.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#5 of 36 Old 03-11-2009, 10:39 AM

this is a very well timed question for me -- I am 13dpo and got a BFN too! My longest LP was 12 days... where o where is my BFP or ??? It's interesting to hear others get BFPs so late... but what would account for that? Why could that possibly be? Is it the exception?

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#6 of 36 Old 03-11-2009, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Remember that the urine test is looking for HCG in the urine. If HCG isn't there, the test will be negative. If HCG is there, but in too small a concentration for the test to detect it, you'll also get a negative.

Some women just don't secrete much HCG into their urine- either they make less HCG than "average", or their bodies break it down more thoroughly before it gets into the urine.

I've never even taken a pg test before AF was about a week late- and since I've had 5 week cycles in the past, that often meant 6 weeks since my last AF (and probably about 18-21 DPO). Either I wasn't charting, or, in the case of DS, I tried to track ovulation but insomnia messed up my temps around O time and I couldn't be sure of anything. So I have no clue how my body would have responded at 13DPO- but I've gotten clear positives at 5-6 weeks since LMP.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#7 of 36 Old 03-11-2009, 10:47 AM

Yep. 18DPO. NOw, I wasn't tracking for long so I can't be 100% certain of O date, but I feel 90%certain.

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#8 of 36 Old 03-11-2009, 11:58 AM

I don't really know when I ovulated, since I caught the first PP egg, but I was getting BFNs TWO WEEKS after I started IMPLANTATION BLEEDING! At first I thought it was the first PPAF, then I starting telling people I was having a miscarriage. Nope! Mr. Miscarriage is running around my house shouting "So-da! So-da!" (we had a party yesterday).
#9 of 36 Old 03-11-2009, 12:23 PM

Yup. BFN 13dpo. BFP 14 dpo. Now 24 weeks pregnant

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#10 of 36 Old 03-11-2009, 05:23 PM

Good timing on the question. I suspected I was pregnant but started bleeding a trickle, so I took one at 18dpo and got a negative. I presently suspect that was just implantation bleeding.

I didn't test at all until I was two months along with the last kid, so I have no idea if I'd even get a positive this early. At the moment, I'm sticking my head in the proverbial sand until April before testing again.

(Not an obsessive tester! )

2 happy kids makes for a happy mother.

#11 of 36 Old 03-11-2009, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom327 View Post
Yup. BFN 13dpo. BFP 14 dpo. Now 24 weeks pregnant
Wow...I love your story! What made you re-test the next day?

You guys are making me feel very hopeful! I will happily give up that glass of wine I was eyeballing for later tonight!

#12 of 36 Old 03-11-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACsMom View Post
Wow...I love your story! What made you re-test the next day?

You guys are making me feel very hopeful! I will happily give up that glass of wine I was eyeballing for later tonight!
Haha, I am happy you asked this question too!!! Good luck tomorrow! Do you feel pregnant???? Oh and I think you can still have a glass of wine if you wanted it

#13 of 36 Old 03-12-2009, 08:28 AM

I'm loving these 13dpo BFN turned BFP stories. I tested at 13dpo this month (am currently 16dpo and no AF) and it was a BFN. Anyway, am now going to wait until 21dpo to test again - if AF doesn't visit prior. GL to you and keep us posted!
#14 of 36 Old 03-12-2009, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Are you guys tracking your bbt too? I got a temperature dip this morning, just below the coverline Still no sign of af, but it seems she's on her way. Sigh....looks like I'll be keeping my appointment with my fertility doc next week.

Or is it possible to get a temp dip one day and have it not mean anything? I know, I'm grasping at straws here....

#15 of 36 Old 03-12-2009, 10:09 AM

ACSMOM, my temp definitely dipped today, not below the coverline though... BFN 14dpo... I am going to the doctor for a toe problem and I think I am going to ask him to give me a blood test for pregnancy bc I can and its free.

#16 of 36 Old 03-12-2009, 11:26 AM

Ok, so I'm new here, don't know all the exact abbreviations yet. But, here goes. I've always had very irregular cycles. Over the past year they've varied between 5wks and 10wks. (Usually the ten weeks only occurred between April and June every year since high school,weird I know). February 26th I experienced light spotting,VERY LIGHT, for about 2.5 days. This has never happened before and kinda freaked me out. About 4 days later I started getting nauseous around 8-830 every night, waking up in cold sweats on occasion, and getting light-headed at times. This is leading me to believe that I really might be pregnant. I honestly, NEVER get nauseous or light-headed,NEVER. It has eased up a bit, but still get weird feelings every once in a while. NO crazy food cravings, but I am finding it more difficult to decide what I do want to eat. As far as breast tenderness, don't really have any. Every once in a while I get weird pulsing pains in the front of my breasts,but that's about it. I took my last test first thing Sunday Morning, but still BFN. My last period was January 28th,but given my long cycles I don't know when I should test. I don't know if the spotting February 26th was implantation bleeding or ovulation,as it has never happened before. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
#17 of 36 Old 03-12-2009, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren31 View Post
ACSMOM, my temp definitely dipped today, not below the coverline though... BFN 14dpo... I am going to the doctor for a toe problem and I think I am going to ask him to give me a blood test for pregnancy bc I can and its free.
Please let me know what the results are! I haven't tested today and don't plan to - just gonna wait for af and if it doesn't show by next week when I have my doc appt., I'm gonna get a blood test, too.

S.T.B. - it does sound like you could be preg, have you tested yet? I didn't get any breast soreness with my first pregnancy, so I don't think that's necessarily a sign to rely on. Also check out the other threads in this forum - there's lots about herbs and stuff to help regulate your cycle, encourage ovulation, lengthen the luteal phase, etc. I don't know all the abbreviations either, but some I do know are: bbt (basal body temperature), cd (cycle day), dpo (days past ovulation), bfp (big fat positive), bfn (big fat negative)...I'm sure others will come along with more. Also somewhere on the MDC site there's a thread where all the abbreviations are listed - probably near the top of the forum index where newcomers introduce themselves. Let us know how things go for you!

#18 of 36 Old 03-12-2009, 12:59 PM

Welcome S.T.B.MRSJ It does sound like pregnancy let us know when you test!!

Lauren, I've still got my eyes on you

Whatever will be, already is...

#19 of 36 Old 03-12-2009, 07:12 PM

I tested negative on First Response at either 12 or 13 DPO with my last baby. My negative pregnancy test is now a 2 1/2 year old boy.

Also, for what it's worht, I wish there was a spot for Sucess Stories on this forum. I went through 4 years of unexplained IF, and am now pg with #3 (very unexpectedly!).

Good luck everyone, I have so been there!
#20 of 36 Old 03-12-2009, 09:21 PM

AlmightyIsis, there is a success stories thread - It's called 'BFP Testimonials' up there at the top, with the other stickies! Add your story! (love the name, by the way)
#21 of 36 Old 03-13-2009, 03:49 AM

ACS: Thank you for your help. Yes, I've tested. I'm a "testaholic" all BFN. But that was almost a week ago now. I'm actually experiencing a couple new things the past couple days like I've lost about 4 pounds but my belt left indentions on my lower belly,stuff like that. I actually bought some test strips via E-bay as another thread had suggested. Now, I can test away without going broke. LOL. I'm hoping for the best.
#22 of 36 Old 04-27-2010, 03:16 PM

I'm new here, as well. Though we certainly weren't trying for baby, we certainly weren't trying to prevent it, either... with that being said...

I'm 21 dpo and still getting BFN. I took a test at 15 and 16 dpo and 20 and 21 dpo. Negative. I am having all of these strange symptoms, though... I'm tired, lightheaded if I stand up quickly, up and down throughout the night going to the bathroom. I either hate the thought of food or I'm ravenous. My precious boyfriend tells me I'm being very sensitive as of the last couple of days. I have this queasy feeling in my tummy right behind my belly button. I've also developed a canker sore and a yest infection the last week. All kinds of strange things going on... I'm just dying to know if anyone can offer any advice? All kinda of symptoms, just 2 BFN. Grrr... Thanks in advance... !
#23 of 36 Old 04-27-2010, 03:37 PM

there are a few rare women out there who dont have a pos urine test until their hcg levels are very high- several weeks late for af. i've heard it said some never do, not sure if that is true. but for a few, when they metabolize the hcg into the urine, it gets chemically knicked and wont read on an hpt. but a blood test will show it. if you are more than a week or two late, know for sure when you ovulated, feel pg, and dont have a pos hpt, you could seek a blood test instead.

oh, and re: the original post- yeah, there are lots of women who have bfns at 13 dpo and are pg, just need a few more days to show it. something like 98% are pos by 18 dpo.

Every good and perfect gift is from above.
#24 of 36 Old 05-28-2010, 09:12 AM

Both times that I have been pregnant I didn't get a BFP until after an entire week after my period was due... so what would that be? 21dpo! Both of my pregnancies resulted in miscarriages however due to luteal phase defect. I miscarried both pregnancies at 5 weeks 3 days. Also- my hcg was at 207 (surely high enough for an hpt to pick up) the week my period was due (the second time around) and the sensitive HPT still weren't picking up on it but a blood test did. I'm fairly regular so when my period was late I knew something was up. All those BFNs scared me because I thought if Im not pregnant Im probably dying!! Anyway... no dying... just pregnant... unfortunately, my doc is working in the dark ages and we found out too late that my progesterone levels were too low (8). We tried the progesterone too late - it was totally in vain. Progesterone won't work unless taken on the day of ovulation and continued through the 14th week. I definately should be pregnant again right now. Every time we have tried to concieve we've become pregnant very easily... I've been taking progesterone since ovulation day so I'm really hoping this will help make this pregnancy stick... We'll see... I just hope I started taking it on ovulation day and not before ovulation day. I go by cervical mucous and calendar date... prob not the most accurate but I just learned how to chart this week so if it doesn't work this cycle... hopefully it will within the next two! By the way I am 35. I was 34 with both of those pregnancies. My last miscarriage was March 6th. So we're hoping in the next few months to get pregnant and make it stick with progesterone this time. Xox Baby Dust to all <3 Laney

ps: I hear that if you have to wait a week or so until your hcg shows a BFP that means it might be a boy as boys have lower hcg levels in early pregnancy than girls...
#25 of 36 Old 05-28-2010, 11:34 AM

Have not read the rest of the thread, just popping in with my answer - my first BFP for my second pregnancy was 18dpo.

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#26 of 36 Old 05-30-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiii83 View Post
I'm new here, as well. Though we certainly weren't trying for baby, we certainly weren't trying to prevent it, either... with that being said...

I'm 21 dpo and still getting BFN. I took a test at 15 and 16 dpo and 20 and 21 dpo. Negative. I am having all of these strange symptoms, though... I'm tired, lightheaded if I stand up quickly, up and down throughout the night going to the bathroom. I either hate the thought of food or I'm ravenous. My precious boyfriend tells me I'm being very sensitive as of the last couple of days. I have this queasy feeling in my tummy right behind my belly button. I've also developed a canker sore and a yest infection the last week. All kinds of strange things going on... I'm just dying to know if anyone can offer any advice? All kinda of symptoms, just 2 BFN. Grrr... Thanks in advance... !
Well, here are my three BFP stories:

With #1, my "period" started on schedule, but then quickly turned wonky -- bleeding stopped for a day, spotted another day, bled again, etc. I was living abroad and HPTs were ridiculously expensive, plus I had been bleeding, so I didn't test until a good week or so later and got an obvious BFP.

With #2, I had a 20 or so HPTs that were expiring that month so I tested fairly often. I had what I thought was my first PPAF from #1, but it also turned funny -- except that instead of petering out I kept bleeding and bleeding, very heavily for me. I tested immediately when I started bleeding and every day thereafter for two full weeks until I got a BFP, at what must have been at least 21 or 22 DPO (think 14 days after ovulation bleeding) as later confirmed by u/s.

With #3, I was positive when I ovulated because it was the first month after #2 that I had any kind of cervical mucus and it was a very classic pattern. I tested the day I missed my period. Negative. I tested a full week later, so 21 or so DPO. Negative. I decided I must not be pregnant. DH insisted I test again another week later because I was sleeping a lot and dreaming about food, and I finally got a clear BFP, though not a terribly dark one. I was sure I had either been mistaken about my ovulation date or ovulated twice but u/s dated the baby to the day I had thought. It was the only pregnancy that I did not have any bleeding and I was perversely more worried about this one than any other. But DS3 is a happy and healthy 12 week-old!
#27 of 36 Old 05-31-2010, 12:36 AM

I just got a BFP at 16DPO.

It CAN happen.

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

#28 of 36 Old 02-23-2012, 05:00 PM

Love your story...today 13 dpo BFN.. hopefully tomorrow I get a BFP. Crossing my fingers   :)

#29 of 36 Old 02-23-2012, 05:09 PM

I track my O very careful...I have been feeling weird kind of bloated, had fatigue, dizziness, a bit of sore breast....tested today 13dpo and got a BFN am still debating how long should I wait to take the next one. This is the only thing I have in my mind and is driving me crazy. 

For my 1 child I had implantation bleeding, but now I have not seen any so far....planning a kid is more nerve racking then not planning it LOL.

#30 of 36 Old 02-27-2012, 09:34 AM

For my first two pregnancies they were surprises, but I got a positive a few days after AF was due.

On #3 we had been trying for 6months. On my 7th cycle I tested the day AF was due. Negative. I proceeded to test every other day to every 3days for the next MONTH with different tests.  All were negative. But I just knew I was pregnant. Then one day at 10wks a bright pink line showed up even before the test had absorbed the liquid all the way through the strip. I went in 2wks later for an ultrasound and sure enough my baby was 12wks.  Who knows why I didn't test positive till 10wks. 

With baby #4 I got a positive test the day AF was due.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page