ear thermometer for temping/charting? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-26-2003, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As in, can I use our ear thermometer, or does it have to be a BBT thermometer? The ear one takes a second to use, and it would be so easy to have dh just stick it in my ear in the morning when he gets up and record the temperature.

What with ds starting his marathon nursing while sleeping session early in the morning, for two hours while I lay there half-asleep, I'm concerned that I would never be able to take my temperature a) at the same time every morning or b) right when I first wake up and haven't moved yet.

Any thoughts or experience welcome! I'm new to charting (still haven't finished reading TCOYF ) and I don't have a routine yet.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2003, 03:42 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
The general consensus is that they are not accurate enough to actually give you a good idea of a pattern.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

Old 12-26-2003, 05:51 AM

I have a Vicks digital thermometer I got from the local Fred Meyer's that takes a temp in 10-15 seconds and has a lighted display and a memory. I'm not really sure if it's a basal thermometer, but it has been working very consistently for me and has given me quite accurate temping info. It cost about $10.

Quote:
I'm concerned that I would never be able to take my temperature a) at the same time every morning or b) right when I first wake up and haven't moved yet.
In my experiences, as long as I'm taking my temp within an hour or so of my "temp time" as noted on my chart (I chart on paper), the pattern is quite noticeable. If it's earlier or later, I just make a note of the time and account for that if an event (temp shift or cervical fluid change) calls for it. As for taking the temp right when you first wake up and before you go pee (or do anything else) is probably the single most important thing to do, as I've noted up to 0.3 degree temp shifts just by going to the bathroom to pee. It was a routine I just learned to do every morning. Of course, I guess I will have to relearn it after our baby is born next year since I have not been temping since October!

Hope that helps!

warmly,
claudia
mama-to-be in late spring 2004!
Old 12-28-2003, 01:28 PM

Definitely don't use ear thermometers...they are so inaccurate.

As for the morning marathon nursing, we do that. And I still have very clear O patterns. Even with some irregular wake-ups. Just try and see how it goes!

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
Old 12-28-2003, 05:48 PM

NO on the ear thermometer!

To me it is so worth it to use the original BBT! For me charting was so important I wanted to do it perfect. Now I didn't have a nursing baby so it was easier!:LOL

Good luck
Old 12-29-2003, 02:55 AM - Thread Starter

Rats. I guess I will get the BBT thermometer (I have a digital one around here somewhere, but I don't know if it's accurate enough either).

I copied the chart out of the back of TCOYF, so I will at least start recording CM, even if I can't get the temps down quite yet. I think I will still make temping dh's job, though.

Thanks all!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 01-04-2004, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter

OK, now I'm really embarrassed. I'm trying to get further through TCOYF and she even says you can't use an ear thermometer.

Old 01-04-2004, 11:29 PM

:LOL
Oh well.....better learning late than never!
Old 06-23-2014, 10:56 PM

ear-thermometer

This is a great device! I found some more information on this website: http://www.medicalexpo.com/medical-m...meter-369.html

User Tag List