sorry to ask but.. can saliva harm sperm? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 03-18-2009, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

AM SO SORRY, I DON'T KNOW HOW ELSE TO ASK THIS.. BUT..
is it bad to perform oral sex when dtd? can the saliva harm sperm? I heard that normal lubricants harm sperm.. so I was wondering if saliva had the same effect. There is conflicting info from my google search. Anyone have any definitive info on this?

Also, how long will saliva linger in there? Should I douche or something to get it out before dtd again?
TIA

EDD 12/15/09, first time mama
#2 of 29 Old 03-18-2009, 07:11 PM

Yes, I have heard that saliva is not good for the sperm (sorry )

Whatever will be, already is...

#3 of 29 Old 03-18-2009, 07:14 PM

no no no don't douche! I think saliva is fine and have never heard of it harming sperm. You are MORE inclined to get pregnant the more relaxed and fin you are having while you are DTD. I mean it's not like he has deposited a cup of spit in you....plus after moving to the actual intercourse, his "pre cum" (can I say that on here) is going to flush you out and make way for the little spermies that will be on the way.

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :
#4 of 29 Old 03-18-2009, 07:38 PM

Saliva is not good. Here are a couple of resources:

A 1998 study in the medical journal Human Reproduction examined the effect of KY jelly, baby oil, olive oil and saliva on sperm motility (movement) along with other semen characteristics. Each of the tested lubricants had serious effects on sperm, the most toxic of which was saliva. The least detrimental of those tested was baby oil. The authors concluded, “we would recommend that couples - especially those having difficulty in conceiving - should be aware of the detrimental effects of such lubricants and avoid their use.” http://fertilefacts.wordpress.com/20...liva-on-sperm/

Couples trying to conceive who want lubrication during intercourse are best advised to go to their refrigerator rather than their medicine cabinet. Vegetable oil, and olive oil don't have too much of an impact on sperm survival and petroleum jelly is also a relatively safe alternative. However, lubricants such as K-Y Jelly, Sugilube, Alpha Keri & Keri Lotion contain bacteriostatic agents, which can significantly decrease sperm motility. Saliva contrary to popular belief, is also toxic to sperm. The best option is to use nothing. http://www.havingbabies.com/infertil...ronmental.html
#5 of 29 Old 03-18-2009, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyMae08 View Post
Saliva is not good. Here are a couple of resources:

A 1998 study in the medical journal Human Reproduction examined the effect of KY jelly, baby oil, olive oil and saliva on sperm motility (movement) along with other semen characteristics. Each of the tested lubricants had serious effects on sperm, the most toxic of which was saliva. The least detrimental of those tested was baby oil. The authors concluded, “we would recommend that couples - especially those having difficulty in conceiving - should be aware of the detrimental effects of such lubricants and avoid their use.” http://fertilefacts.wordpress.com/20...liva-on-sperm/

Couples trying to conceive who want lubrication during intercourse are best advised to go to their refrigerator rather than their medicine cabinet. Vegetable oil, and olive oil don't have too much of an impact on sperm survival and petroleum jelly is also a relatively safe alternative. However, lubricants such as K-Y Jelly, Sugilube, Alpha Keri & Keri Lotion contain bacteriostatic agents, which can significantly decrease sperm motility. Saliva contrary to popular belief, is also toxic to sperm. The best option is to use nothing. http://www.havingbabies.com/infertil...ronmental.html
O my! THANKS!!!! Now I'm worried about whether there'll be residue and ruin the whole fertile time... sooo... olive oil/vegetable oil???? hmmmm.. sounds like we'll be cooking up some babies :: whatever! I'll do it!

#6 of 29 Old 03-18-2009, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeliphish View Post
no no no don't douche! I think saliva is fine and have never heard of it harming sperm. You are MORE inclined to get pregnant the more relaxed and fin you are having while you are DTD. I mean it's not like he has deposited a cup of spit in you....plus after moving to the actual intercourse, his "pre cum" (can I say that on here) is going to flush you out and make way for the little spermies that will be on the way.
LOL... but okay.. umm.. so now i'm still confused.. which is it.. harmful or not harmful? I wish it is not.. that would put me at ease.

#7 of 29 Old 03-18-2009, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Saliva can kill off some of the sperm, yes. It's acidic I believe. Don't bother to douche that's bad for things in there too, and there shouldn't be much in there for long so that it matters. But when TTC do avoid oral during fertile times. There is a lubricant called PreSeed made for TTC, and I've also heard of using pasteurized egg white like comes in a carton.

Edited to add: By the way I could have sworn on first reading you asked about salvia! LOL
#8 of 29 Old 03-18-2009, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn View Post
Saliva can kill off some of the sperm, yes. It's acidic I believe. Don't bother to douche that's bad for things in there too, and there shouldn't be much in there for long so that it matters. But when TTC do avoid oral during fertile times. There is a lubricant called PreSeed made for TTC, and I've also heard of using pasteurized egg white like comes in a carton.

Edited to add: By the way I could have sworn on first reading you asked about salvia! LOL
can I get preseed at walgreens/rite aid or cvs? -

#9 of 29 Old 03-18-2009, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have always heard it isn't great for trying, but I found this, question #2. I actually tend to believe the logic behind the response.

As for pre~seed, here is a list of places to buy based upon your location.
#10 of 29 Old 03-18-2009, 08:39 PM

see that is a good question: 1) you should have an orgasm while TTC to suck up the spermies
2) Oral sex is the only thing that leads to orgasm for me
3) Oral sex is not good for TTC.

I AM STUCK BETWEEN A ROCK AND A HARD PLACE

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#11 of 29 Old 03-18-2009, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren31 View Post
see that is a good question: 1) you should have an orgasm while TTC to suck up the spermies
2) Oral sex is the only thing that leads to orgasm for me
3) Oral sex is not good for TTC.

I AM STUCK BETWEEN A ROCK AND A HARD PLACE
lololol... am so sorry for you.. am kinda almost in the same place.. it's just easier for me to get there.. now its gonna take a much more difficult route... (can we even say this stuff on this forum?) I'm scared I'll get some kind of warning email or smthg.

#12 of 29 Old 03-18-2009, 09:44 PM

Orgasm is not necessary for conception. Plenty of women get pregnant w/o an orgasm, so I wouldn't worry about that so much. There are studies showing the ill-effects of saliva on sperm, so I would refrain from, um, "oral activities" during your fertile time. Pre-seed is the way to go if you need lubricant.
#13 of 29 Old 03-18-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousstone View Post
LOL... but okay.. umm.. so now i'm still confused.. which is it.. harmful or not harmful? I wish it is not.. that would put me at ease.
It IS harmful. Google it and look at the studies.
#14 of 29 Old 03-18-2009, 09:50 PM

Okay, these studies were probably using a significant amount of saliva. Unless your husband is salivating all over you (LOL!!!) and you're purposefully trying to get some of it "in there," I'd be shocked if oral sex would have any influence on TTC.

This from the DH: "Last time I checked, my mouth was nowhere near your cervix."

For reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulva

Until I see studies linking cunnilingus to infertility, I'm gonna keep on doing what I'm doing.

Aurora , happy wife to C., mama to 3 : and , lost 12/08 & our 4/24/10
#15 of 29 Old 03-18-2009, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I've heard that saliva can harm sperm. What mrsbabycakes said makes sense, but I chose not to take that risk. I personally attribute hand lotion, body oil, and saliva to our lack of success for the first many months until I heard about this. Since then, I've tried to go au naturalle (however that's spelled), instead taking the time and relaxation to "get in the mood." We even sacrificed BDing EVERY day so that we'd be more into it when we did do it. Just my two cents

Our little miracles are here!!joy.gif
energy.gif DD Born 7/15/11 biggrinbounce.gif DS Born 4/3/13
love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Auntie to Nell, Greta, Maggie, and Elsa!

Remembering our 3 losses

#16 of 29 Old 03-18-2009, 10:12 PM

I guess I'll have to take the chance... My BF enjoys performing oral sex and I'm not going to tell him it's off limits. It's not every time we have intercourse anyway.

43 w/Emphysema - TTC from 2005 - 2013. 2 miscarriages in 2008. Good things do not come to those who wait.

#17 of 29 Old 03-18-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevi View Post
I guess I'll have to take the chance... My BF enjoys performing oral sex and I'm not going to tell him it's off limits. It's not every time we have intercourse anyway.
Exactly. Who are we to deprive our men?

#18 of 29 Old 03-18-2009, 10:38 PM

My guess is that fellatio before intercourse would be more harmful. Bummer for our partners.
#19 of 29 Old 03-18-2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbabycakes View Post

Quote:
My guess is that fellatio before intercourse would be more harmful. Bummer for our partners.
That was my thinking too.

My husband has been gone for 7 months now. When he comes home there is no way I am refraining from "oral activities" even with TTC.

:~*Barbara*~ 25, DGF to an awesome man (25) and always a step-mom to A (8)
#20 of 29 Old 03-19-2009, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbabycakes View Post
Okay, these studies were probably using a significant amount of saliva. Unless your husband is salivating all over you (LOL!!!) and you're purposefully trying to get some of it "in there," I'd be shocked if oral sex would have any influence on TTC.

For reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulva

Until I see studies linking cunnilingus to infertility, I'm gonna keep on doing what I'm doing.

#21 of 29 Old 03-19-2009, 12:34 AM

I love this thread.

#22 of 29 Old 03-19-2009, 12:57 AM

You know, my 2 cents worth is this: I would imagine that there is a difference between some small amount of saliva moisture which remains fairly external during oral sex (on either partner) and using saliva specifically as a lubricant during intercourse. Occasionally we've watched some graphic sexy movies (please let's not get into a discussion about this! flame not!) and have sometimes been really surprised and kind of grossed out at seeing people spit copious amounts of saliva onto their partners for lubrication purposes during sex--like, really a lot of spit. As in, they are going, "Ptoooey!!" (I'm always like--eeewww--haven't they heard of lube?? No judgment if someone is into that--it's just not my bag personally.) I could see where that would be a problem for sperm, as well as other substances like lotion or some lubes could be. But it seems to me that if you simply kept things mostly on the external genitalia (women) and just maybe wiped off with a tissue or something (both) between oral sex and intercourse, how much saliva would there really be anywhere near the sperm? Especially considering that you have vaginal lubrication and cervical mucus that's sort of diluting things out there too? And the sperm are deposited fairly close to the cervical opening?

Mom of DD 1 blahblah.gif and DD 2 blowkiss.gif

#23 of 29 Old 03-19-2009, 01:01 AM

I'm pretty sure that small amounts of salive were present every time I have conceived. I agree with mrsbabycakes, we will keep on doing what makes us "happy"

~Manessa mama to one teenageer, one tweenager, and a toddler

#24 of 29 Old 03-19-2009, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Orgasm is not necessary for conception. Plenty of women get pregnant w/o an orgasm, so I wouldn't worry about that so much.
Yea, but then where's the fun in trying?

I have a hard time believing that saliva plays such a huge role. Unless you are truly using it as if it were lubricant. So, we're not just talking a lick here and there, but its quantity could be measured in spoonfuls. Then, I definitely believe it could pose a problem.

But, I just can't imagine a lick here and there is a problem.

Then again, maybe THAT is why I'm not pregnant yet, lol.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
#25 of 29 Old 03-19-2009, 01:13 PM

The biggest danger of having oral sex is performing oral on him and going too far... Like last night, when I got so carried away I swallowed all of the goods!!! Aaaargh!!! And now I won't see the man again until tomorrow night. Oh well, he enjoyed it and I told myself I wasn't going to really try too hard this cycle anyway.

43 w/Emphysema - TTC from 2005 - 2013. 2 miscarriages in 2008. Good things do not come to those who wait.

#26 of 29 Old 03-19-2009, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The biggest danger of having oral sex is performing oral on him and going too far... Like last night, when I got so carried away I swallowed all of the goods!!! Aaaargh!!! And now I won't see the man again until tomorrow night. Oh well, he enjoyed it and I told myself I wasn't going to really try too hard this cycle anyway.
??? ... :rotf lmao dunno whether to say am sorry or good for you!

#27 of 29 Old 03-19-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Stevi, you crack me up.

#28 of 29 Old 03-19-2009, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
But, I just can't imagine a lick here and there is a problem.
: Can you imagine hearing this out of context? Doesn't sound like a problem for ME! Then again, DH is out of town and I'm getting a little wound up!!! lol..

Our little miracles are here!!joy.gif
energy.gif DD Born 7/15/11 biggrinbounce.gif DS Born 4/3/13
love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Auntie to Nell, Greta, Maggie, and Elsa!

Remembering our 3 losses

#29 of 29 Old 03-19-2009, 06:53 PM

I am sitting here laughing out loud as well!!

Tear78... I am right there with you on being wound up! I haven't been able to focus on anything all day!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page