Average cycle length for how long? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-30-2009, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay...DH and I have been casually TTC for 2 years now and are just now starting to be serious about it. I just started tracking my temps this cycle, but I have kept track of my cycle length since October '07. I'd like to use this data to help plot fertile days starting as soon as possible (especially since we STRONGLY want a DD, so we'll need to DTD in advance of O date to maximize our grrrrlpower). The thing is, my cycle lengths have changed, getting shorter...

If I average from when I first started tracking, I have a 27 day cycle.
If I average for the last 12 cycles, I have a 26 day cycle.
If I average for the last 3 cycles, I have a 25 day cycle.

Ideas?

--Shabbers

(BTW, I am *not* happy about this shortening cycle of mine. It seems like AF has barely left when she comes knocking again >_<)
#2 of 5 Old 04-30-2009, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's sort of hard to say. As far as knowing when to dtd, knowing past cycle length is great, but it doesn't necessarily tell you when you've ovulated, or how long your luteal phase is.
If I were you, I'd probably look into using ovulation tests. When you get a positive on one of those, then you know that you'll most likely be ovulating in the next 24-36 hours.
Also, temping and charting cervical fluid, will help give you a better idea when you ovulated. Not exactly helpful for this cycle, but could be helpful for next cycle, if you need it.

Anyone, please chime in if I'm wrong about any of that!
#3 of 5 Old 04-30-2009, 05:22 PM

Hi,welcome. Sorry don't have any experience with trying for a specific gender, I'm kinda skeptical about if that will work or not since different theories say totally different things. I'd like to have a girl too, but the method I read about (shettles?) reccommends skipping DTD on certain days and I'm not willing (at my age) to take the chance of missing a fertile day.
Boys are awesome too at any rate

At least if your cycle is shorter, you have more opportunites to catch the egg than a person with a 45 day schedule. How is your luteal phase? That's the one I'd be afraid of getting shorter.

Lisa DH Pat DS Liam DS Jamessigncirc1.gif

Missing DD Lily 6/17/10- 12/13/12

#4 of 5 Old 04-30-2009, 06:42 PM

My cycle is 25 days with a 14 day luteal phase, which means I ovulate day 9 - 11 or so. Nothing appears to be wrong and I've had a previous successful pregnancy - so the cycle length is not an indication that anything's necessarily wrong.

I would chart for a month and see what your luteal phase is doing but otherwise hopefully no cause for concern!
#5 of 5 Old 05-01-2009, 01:56 AM

Cycle lengths don't tell us very much - it's more about figuring out when you O on average. Usually, our luteal phases (time between O and AF) rarely change by more than a day cycle to cycle. My LP's are almost always 12 days in length, whether I ovulate on CD 11 or 14, they are 12 days long.

I have 25 day cycles and I almost always ovulate on CD 12. I'd suggest just continuing to keep track, maybe use OPK's, do BBT and CM.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page