Nursing Mamas TTC May - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 218 Old 05-18-2009, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SparklingGemini -- Major fingers crossed for you this month. You deserve it!

Congrats, Rollergirl, on the recent "o."

JorgieGirl - I hear you -- instead of "When will LO get a sibling," I'm getting, "Wean her so you can give her a sibling!" Urgh.

SoCaliMommy - Hope this is the month for you!!!

Hollydlr -- You killed me with the story about your LO and the thermometer. Hysterical.

AFM: About 9 dpo. Have my characteristic "this cycle is a bust and AF will be here in a few days" headache that always clues me in. Also, CM and CP not promising. So I'm pretty sure this is not my month. Am totally intrigued by the Shatavari idea -- never heard of that before. I've been taking vitex; does anyone know if they can be used simultaneously? Went to the RE today: polycystic ovaries (knew that), but lining looked good. His opinion: even with sure ovulation and a normal LP, nursing could still be inhibiting conception. He suggested I give it a month or two more at most, and then wean if still not pg. She is just over 18 months -- I know she'd be okay if I weaned, but I SO DON'T WANT TO!!!! She LOVES it - we're usually only nursing 3x/day (occas. 4x), and I believe that it's still really good for her. We've been trying for 5 cycles, though, and I am definitely wishing it would happen already!!!

Thanks for listening. I don't really have anyone IRL who would understand.

#122 of 218 Old 05-19-2009, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
updated list to here

slgt~ Welcome. You just need 3hours of sleep in a row to temp and to temp at the same time each morning.

BeccaBaby1~Yeah everything is okay it was just weird since we haven't had a major earthquake since last summer.

MeowMama~ :

JorgieGirl~ Good luck on the house hunting. We are house hunting right now also.

RachelS~ on not knowing where you are in your cycle.

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#123 of 218 Old 05-19-2009, 04:25 PM

RubySlippers - hope you're feeling better - flu is not fun! I was sick during O twice this winter...its a real bummer but you just don't want to DTD when you and DH both have foul green snot running everywhere and moving makes you cough...

BeccaBaby - : hope your intense symptoms are a good sign

Jorgiegirl - how'd the dr go?

MeowMama - I'm PCOS too - so much fun! I haven't gone back to the RE yet, even though DS is almost 2. I had wanted my kids a little closer than that, but the RE is more than I can handle at the moment and I don't want to wean either!

AFM: Well I think you should move me to the TWW - I am pretty sure I O'd on Sunday. I had major ovary pain on the left side on Sun and Mon, just like when I was on injectable stims (ok, not quite that bad, but pretty bad!) Today the pain is much more faint. Also had EWCM Sun and Mon. My temp started to go up today... FF disagrees (thinks I o'd earlier) but I think its because I had a couple higher temps due to poor sleeping... There is just no way that this ovary pain could be anything else. Since I have PCOS I have never been that good at O'ing - does it always hurt this much for regular women??? Anyway, we managed to have some good timing with DTD so I'm really hopeful this cycle. I will be OOT when its time to test, so that is kinda sad for DH.... Thats ok, we've never been obsessive testers - every time I've tested early I end up getting AF that day or the next, its like bad karma for me... :::::

So I have a plugged duct today - its the same one that always gets plugged. Thats what I get for wearing a bra a couple days in a row
#124 of 218 Old 05-19-2009, 08:20 PM

Yucky, plugged ducts are no fun!!

Well, the doctor went alright, I guess. I mentioned my short LP and she said out right that I needed to be trying for longer than 6 months and have gone through 2 miscarriages before she'll write me a script for progesterone. WTF!! I said that's not acceptable and I would at least like to have blood work done to check my levels whether or not she writes me any script. She agreed, so I'm being tested on my progesterone, LH, FSH, thyroid and prolactin. Of course, it showed her ignorance when she directed me to go to the clinic on CD21 after I had just finished telling her my cycles aren't 28 days. They're usually at least 35. I'm going to just kinda ignore that part and go at 7dpo.

Goodluck househunting SoCal. It sucks, eh? I can't wait to find the one and be over it!
#125 of 218 Old 05-19-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMama View Post
Congrats, Rollergirl, on the recent "o."

Am totally intrigued by the Shatavari idea -- never heard of that before. I've been taking vitex; does anyone know if they can be used simultaneously?

Thanks for listening. I don't really have anyone IRL who would understand.

thanks meowmama!

so this is what i am thinking about shatavari & vitex together: vitex is sort of a luteal phase stabilizer -- can help make sure you have a logn enough luteal phase by helping boost progesterone production. shatavari has estrogenic effects. both are recommended for balancing the menstrual cycle, although it seems like they work in opposite ways. perhaps take shatavari at the beginning of the cycle and vitex at the end? it's just my guess, though! i would be interested in hearing others' experience(s). the other thing i know about shatavari is that it parallels the work that dong quai does (for those of you who know/care anything about chinese herbs). but anyway, i know all of this from googling, so dont' take my word for anything here!
#126 of 218 Old 05-19-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slgt View Post
Hi, I'm going to join in, I guess in the "Waiting to be Ready" category.
I'm often woken up sometime between 2-5 by our dogs or occasionaly DD, but usually have gotten about 4-6 hours of sleep before that. Is it worth temping, or will it just be all over the place?

So anyways, Hi!
hello!

i just wanted to tell you my experience with temping and you can make what you want of it -- i dont' definitely get a full 3 hours of sleep every night. my son's nursing schedule is still too erratic at night. but i temp every morning anyway, and only don't record if i've really not gotten much sleep AT ALL. and my chart is not all over the place. if you're checking your CM *and* you're trying to get pregnant, then i would suggest you try it for a couple of cycles and see how it looks. you will probably have a few ups and downs, but nothing so significant as to confuse you for ovulation, particularly since it sounds like you have great EWCM! now if you were trying NOT to get pregnant i would not suggest that you be so fast and loose with your temping

the other thing is that you could temp every morning at 2 a.m. if that's when your dogs usually wake you. it doesn't have to be your first morning waking temp -- just the same time and after the right amount of sleep.

oh and ps HUGS to everyone in TWW!!!! i know i am just waiting for AF and *i* am already bored!!! i don't know how the rest of you are hanging in there waiting for NO AF without going crazy!!
#127 of 218 Old 05-20-2009, 11:13 AM

I know this gets asked all the time...but what's a good charting program (preferably online not download) besides fertility friend??
I'm trying MyMonthlyCycles, but it's just kind of lame. Any other suggestions?

On a good note, aside from lack of fertile CM, I am crampy again today and due to O tomorrow! I've never been crampy to O before in my life so this is kinda cool to know

For temping times, I've been getting woken up frequently again too, but I've just kept taking it at 4am which is when DS2 most often wakes up to nurse. I skipped yesterday because he had been up at 3am and again at 4:30, but otherwise my temps have been pretty consistent. And I definitely do NOT get 3 consecutive hours lol!

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#128 of 218 Old 05-20-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollergirl View Post
thanks meowmama!

perhaps take shatavari at the beginning of the cycle and vitex at the end?
Thanks, rollergirl. The thing about vitex is that it reputedly needs to be taken continuously, with its effects only really becoming evident after 3 months of use. Maybe I'll contact a naturopath or something to figure this out. Will let you know if I do.

Weird thing this a.m.: feel completely like AF is coming (based mainly on CP and characteristic pre-AF headache). Nevertheless, bought dollar store hpts yesterday at 10 dpo (a weird brand: sure-test), took one yesterday which was totally neg. Woke up in the middle of the night, took one, and when it was neg, too, put it on the medicine cabinet and went back to bed. Well, big pink line when I looked at it this am -- told DH, "OMG - I'm pregnant!!!" Then retested, 'cause it HAD been sitting for about 5 hours. Next one: totally neg for the full 10 minute window. Two hours later: a pink line. So we went out and got FRER, took it a couple hours ago -- not even the faintest shadow of a second line. They've given me a positive in the past with a beta of 11, so I know they're super sensitive. Given how well I tend to know my body, though, and how much I trust FRER, I think the dollar store tests were false positives. (Although not sure if they're even considered false pos if read outside the testing window.) I was so relieved (for about a minute!) that I wouldn't have to wean. : Anyway, I've read a million posts where pregnant people say, "Well, it was positive, but. . ." Truly, this is not one of those "reassure me that I am really pg" posts. I really, really think this is an "omg, false positives really CAN happen if you use a crappy enough test." Just venting. (But obviously, still hoping, a teeny-tiny bit!)

Sorry for the novel!
#129 of 218 Old 05-20-2009, 11:50 AM

Oh - forgot to mention in my all-about-me post:

Hollydlr: sorry about the plugged ducts. Have had a trillion myself. You probably already know this, but I've found they go away faster if I drink INSANE amounts of water.

JorgieGirl: I also have about a 35-day cycle. The RE I saw Monday wouldn't even TEST my prog while I'm still nursing. Said if it were low, he'd say wean (rather than supplement while nursing), so he said he wouldn't bother. A little bit of a bummer. Good luck with your labs! (Bear in mind, though, that your prolactin will be high - so don't get freaked out if your doc says you need an MRI or something - hopefully she knows to expect that with a nursing mom, and it won't be an issue! Also, day CD2 or 3 is when FSH and LH values are useful to assess fertility, fyi.)

Little Grey Mare: Good luck with your upcoming "o"!
#130 of 218 Old 05-20-2009, 01:17 PM

meowmama,

i will definitely be interested in what your naturopath says! i am so interested in herbs right now!!! fwiw, my friend who is due in august took vitex only for 2-3 months from AF to O and then didn't take any during the TWW. she'd had AF for about 6 mo bt wasn't o'ing until she took vitex. but i am especially intrigued about combining with shatavari!!

also how annoying about the cheap tests!! had an almost false pos with a $$ store test once because the dye bled and i was all OMG!!! i guess for only a dollar.. will cross my fingers for you anyway! you never know!!
#131 of 218 Old 05-20-2009, 06:02 PM

oh man... I just wrote out a long message and my computer locked up.. ugh..

Okay...

Oh my gosh Meow Mama.... : for a positive!!

Hollydlr: hugs to you... hopefully you are all better today!! I have had so many of those too! I know how much they hurt! So sorry!

Good luck to everyone this month!!!

AFM: I can't do it.. My plan was to slow down on breastfeeding..... she gets so upset if I do not offer it.... She will be two in August... I just do not know what to do... *sigh*

How do you all get your mind off of TTC???

Rachel femalesling.GIF, WAHM, Mom to guitar.gif DS (MAY/05), hearts.gifDD (AUG/07), and superhero.gif DS (JAN/10),  bfinfant.gif DD (JUL/12) Wife to the love of my life partners.gif(MAY/02),

#132 of 218 Old 05-20-2009, 08:04 PM

Thanks for the good wishes, Rachel! I think Rollergirl solved it, though: in between when my negative tests turned positive, they DID look like there was a faint blob of dye kind of hanging around in a weird spot in each of them. I am now sure that that was what it was (running dye). Grr. I knew I wasn't this cycle, anyway, so the disappointment isn't too too bad.

I am so glad I found this group. Rachel, you sound just like me (although your youngest is 3 months older than my DD); it feels IMPOSSIBLE to deny her her time at the breast, as much as I long for the next baby. It's hard to find people who are TTC while breastfeeding an older baby. Seems like everyone I know either conceived easily while BFing, or had long since weaned when they started TTC #2. It's kind of a conundrum!

General question: do other people find that their CM is different around ovulation while you are breastfeeding? I have had minimal EWCM, and sometimes it's more watery than EW, since my cycles returned. I know watery CM is still considered fertile; just wondering if it's a sign that the whole process is being affected by nursing hormones.
#133 of 218 Old 05-21-2009, 01:48 AM

Hi mammas!

Boo for plugged ducts Holly

Boo for uninformed doctors JorgieGirl

rollergirl - It doesn't seem that vitex and shatavari are contraindicated but just that they work on different issues. I think if I wanted to take both I'd just take both all cycle long. Don't know though.

LGM - Fingers crossed for impending O

MeowMama - glad you're not too disappointed. My CM has been the opposite. I've had way more while breastfeeding. Not initially but gradually as my fertility has returned - and adding the shatavari - my fertile CM has increased.

Rachel, I have not tried to alter the babe's feeding at all but she's only 16 months so it is possible I'd feel differently if she was a bit older.

11 dpo, temp nice and high, and feeling very pregnant. I feel pregnant all the time though so by no means am I convinced. I'm peeing my pants waiting for the husband to come home from his business trip so I can test. Actually I'm really glad I have this motivation to wait because otherwise I think I might have started testing ridiculously early.

J+B = Little G (1/08) and baby S (1/10)
#134 of 218 Old 05-21-2009, 08:34 AM

ooh BB1, when does your dh get back so you can test?? fingers crossed for you!!!

annoying news here, AF this morning! we didn't DTD this month, so i knew it was coming, but that means ONLY 7 D LUTEAL PHASE!!!! : this is only the first PP O and 1st real AF, so i guess that doesn't have to mean that consecutive AF's will have short LP's. but grrrrr, am frustrated.

on the other hand, i suppose that means we BD for the goods a week sooner than i was planning!!! so i will try to look at the silver lining of this and just hope that next time the LP is longer. like, REALLY long hehe.
#135 of 218 Old 05-21-2009, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Having my rescheduled ultrasound of my uterus in about an hour. IF that is normal, then the doctor thinks it may be the breastfeeding that is causing my irregular periods. (Even though I had normal periods from 7 months pp until my mc in Nov. 08)

My nearly 19 month old is still nursing. I am having anticipatory guilt (if there is such a thing) because I am seriously considering weaning him. He nurses ALL NIGHT LONG and it is interfering with my sleep. Plus, it keeps him on his right side and though the doctor isn't concerned, his head is a little flatter on that side. I don't think I am thinking about weaning him to get pregnant, but for the above reasons. But I feel bad because he LOVES to nurse. He says "Yaaay" when he knows he is going to be breastfed. Should I feel bad. I nursed my first until 20 months.
#136 of 218 Old 05-21-2009, 10:17 AM

Good luck, BeccaBaby! Sounds promising! BeccaBaby, what is the dose of Shatavari you are taking? Thinking of trying it this cycle.

Rollergirl: right there with you; CD 1 for me, too, today. LP was 11 or 12 days (not positive which day I o'd). I know I theoretically should be able to conceive with an LP like that, but I'm just not confident it will happen. Hey -- maybe we'll both hit the jackpot next month. Here's hoping!
#137 of 218 Old 05-21-2009, 10:52 AM

MM and RG - Here's to a new start!

SteelerMom - good luck with your ultrasound.

Husband gets back tomorrow evening so I'll probably take an evening test and then use my FMU on Sat. Or, I suppose I could pee in a cup tomorrow morning and save it. Does that work? I'm silly excited. I hope I'm not working myself up for disappointment. My temp is down a tiny bit today but I took it way earlier today than normal so I think that's why. Wanna see my chart? I'm missing a few temps here and there but you get the idea.

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/BeccaBaby1

I'm taking 1000mg of Shatavari (along with red raspberry leaf, a prenatal, vit b 6 and fish oil)

#138 of 218 Old 05-21-2009, 11:35 AM

BeccaBaby -- I'm no expert, but your chart sure looks promising to me! Can't wait to hear. :

I'm heading out to buy some shatavari myself today. Super exciting for a late o-er like myself to hear that it worked so well for you in that regard!

Good luck, SteelerMom. I totally understand where you're coming from. My LO is 18 1/2 months, and I feel the big "W" looming if I can't get pregnant soon. Hope it works out for you soon!
#139 of 218 Old 05-21-2009, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

BeccaBaby1~ your chart looks great.

SteelerMom ~ good luck with your ultrasound.

rollergirl~ on af finding you.

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#140 of 218 Old 05-21-2009, 02:21 PM

Hey guys! I just wanted to let all of you know that I am done TTC for a while. I have decided that I am going to wait for my baby to wean (or until he is 2) to begin the TTC process again. This makes me sad, but I think it is best for all involved as I am not prepared to nurse while pregnant again. I had a really hard time during my m/c pregnancy.

So, I will wait, lurk and enjoy my baby (16 months) for a little bit longer before trying for another.

Mama to a sweet baby boy (01/18/08), wife to a sweet and loving husband, blogger:, swimmer:, reader of all things and future IBCLC. Waiting zenfully for my spirit baby to return!
#141 of 218 Old 05-21-2009, 04:39 PM

BeccaBaby1 ~ Good luck!!! Can't wait to here as well!! btw: I always start testing ridiculously early too! LOL

MeowMama ~ I am soooo glad that I found this group too!!!
I can not comment on the cm question... I can not remember what it was like when trying to conceive my first and I was breastfeeding when I conceived my second.... great question though!

rollergirl ~ hugs to you!!

SteelerMom ~ how was your appointment?
I completely understand what you are feeling! I feel it too!! My dd is just a bit older and I am feeling the same way right now!

AFM: I had my yearly appointment today.... I mentioned that I was breastfeeding and trying to conceive. He told me that it will make my chances more difficult along with my age as a factor as well... I knew all of this... but it just sinks in more when I hear it... He told me that he does not even consider patients as "trying" while breastfeeding and if I do not conceive that I needed to wean before my ONE YEAR starts of trying AND THEN intervention.... boy... that sounded overwhelming!

Rachel femalesling.GIF, WAHM, Mom to guitar.gif DS (MAY/05), hearts.gifDD (AUG/07), and superhero.gif DS (JAN/10),  bfinfant.gif DD (JUL/12) Wife to the love of my life partners.gif(MAY/02),

#142 of 218 Old 05-21-2009, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks everyone.

The tech told me that everything looked normal during the ultrasound. So it looks like it is probable that the breastfeeding is causing my fertility troubles and abnormal cycles.

So. Now I need to decide how much longer ds needs to nurse. I truly want him to wean himself but I wonder how long it will be before there are any signs he is ready to do that. Oh well. For now I guess I will leave things the way they are.
#143 of 218 Old 05-21-2009, 06:43 PM

I just got a faint, faint, faint second line today at 9dpo.

I'm totally stunned and not ready to get excited yet. (Even though its hard not to!) I don't know if I should test again tomorrow or wait until Saturday.

Wish me luck!

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

#144 of 218 Old 05-21-2009, 06:49 PM

SparklingGemini : YAY!!

#145 of 218 Old 05-21-2009, 06:55 PM

OMG SparklingGemini!!!!!!!! That's amazing, and you so deserve it! Keep us updated!

#146 of 218 Old 05-22-2009, 01:27 AM

Fantastic news SparklingGemini! Sticky baby dust to you.

#147 of 218 Old 05-22-2009, 01:48 AM

Hey guys! Can I join you/lurk?

I guess we're officially NTNP because we haven't used any form of bc in about 2 months. We're going to start TTC in September if nothing happens before then. My DD is almost 14 months and nurses 4-5 times during the day and (what feels like) all night long. I was going to try charting on FF but no PP AF for me yet. I have a question about checking CM and bf'ing. It seems like it is super stretchy almost every time I check it. I'm confused, I thought that meant I was fertile but is it different when you're bf'ing? Also, what is about the average for PP AF to return?

I'm Amy wife to Joe 11/06 and mommy to Aubrey 3/08 and Levi 4/10
#148 of 218 Old 05-22-2009, 09:10 AM

HI aims1029
I am very confused myself about cm and bf'ing... however I once did read that 14/15 months is the average for when pp af will return. I do not remember where I read that... but at the time I was wondering the same thing. Both myself and my sisters all got theirs back around that time. So hopefully very soon for you!

#149 of 218 Old 05-22-2009, 10:01 AM

aims - I had ewcm in serious quantity for 5 months before my first ppaf.

My temp dropped a bit again this morning but I woke up earlier than yesterday and the ambient temperature is way down so I'm not sure what to think. I had myself convinced it was a for sure thing but now I'm doubting a little. I'll keep you updated.

#150 of 218 Old 05-22-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaBaby1 View Post
aims - I had ewcm in serious quantity for 5 months before my first ppaf.
Oh WOW, I needed to hear this. I've had EWCM for about 6 weeks to 2 months now, and what feels like sure fire signs that AF is going to return, but alas, no AF here yet. I'm not too concerned that she's not here though. We would like to TTC, but obviously we can't do that until I O again.

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page