Maca maca maca - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 36 Old 05-18-2009, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
 
sunflower.mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Boston suburbs
Posts: 696
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So after 6 mos of trying, I have decided to try maca. I just purchased a huge bottle of royal maca from whole foods. The dosing is 1/3 tsp = 833 mg of gelatinized root powder, and the suggestion is to take 1/3 to 1/2 tsp a day. Isn't that a low dosage? I feel I've seen women on here talking about 1-2 tsp a day, or dosage of 1500-2000 mg a day. Am I right? What are people taking?
I also read all about the "cocktails" people make to get it down. Can you cook it? Why can't I just throw a few tsp into tomato sauce or whatever I am serving for dinner?

Katherine mother to DS 8/03 and DD1 9/06 and DD2 6/10
sunflower.mama is offline  
#2 of 36 Old 05-18-2009, 05:44 PM
 
BelovedK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: wandering around.... with an aim.
Posts: 16,877
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here is a link to the spring maca thread

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...highlight=maca

I guess it's almost time for the summer thread.

I will bump the thread

                                Whatever will be, already is...
 
BelovedK is offline  
#3 of 36 Old 05-19-2009, 08:00 PM
 
Peony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 25,336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower.mama View Post
So after 6 mos of trying, I have decided to try maca. I just purchased a huge bottle of royal maca from whole foods. The dosing is 1/3 tsp = 833 mg of gelatinized root powder, and the suggestion is to take 1/3 to 1/2 tsp a day. Isn't that a low dosage? I feel I've seen women on here talking about 1-2 tsp a day, or dosage of 1500-2000 mg a day. Am I right? What are people taking?
I also read all about the "cocktails" people make to get it down. Can you cook it? Why can't I just throw a few tsp into tomato sauce or whatever I am serving for dinner?
Cause it tastes gross, really in anything you put it in. I did try it in a couple food items only to toss the food away because I couldn't stand to eat it.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Peony is offline  
#4 of 36 Old 05-19-2009, 11:08 PM
 
cocoanib's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Long Beach, Ca
Posts: 2,099
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I never thought of using it to conceive, but I use it for it's other nutritional properties several times per week.

-It's good in all kinds of smoothies.
-Mix in with any nut butter and enjoy straight or with fruit.
-If you make your own chocolate, it's great in there too.
raw cocoa powder
sweetner (mashed dates, agave, brown rice syrup, etc)
cocoa butter or coconut oil or coconut butter, etc
vanilla
pinch salt
any other add ins like nuts, dried fruit, etc.

Mix it up and enjoy some each day!

ETA- I use 1-2tbs in all of those suggestions.

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

cocoanib is offline  
#5 of 36 Old 06-06-2009, 03:25 PM
 
MsNature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have spent the morning reading your fascinating threads on Maca - as I am a recent convert. I am thrilled to read that several of you have become pregnant shortly after using Maca, but am not surprised - because I can tell you that this magic Andean turnip has been nothing short of miraculous for me. As a lifelong student of nutriton and a longtime user of vitamin supplements, I am convinced that "natural is best" - and after reading some of your stories here, I decided to log on and add my own experiences in the hope this may help some of you who may be struggling with "hormone imbalances" of your own.

I always enjoyed a very normal and regular female cycle, but as I became older, I developed complications of hyperthyroid (which is exacerbated by the normal loss of estrogen as we age). Consequently, I have been SUFFERING, for YEARS, with hot flashes, night sweats (that would soak the bed), insomnia, and a "short fuse." (And, this may be TMI, but my sex life eventually went out the window completely... which was the sorriest part of all.)

Over time I had tried all the usual peri-meno stuff; soy milk (gave me gas - my bod just knew it was beans!), wild yam cream (worsened the hot flashes), estrogen cream (expensive, and did nothing!), and dietary changes - all to no avail!

But after nearly a year of research on Maca, I finally found an organic, naturally processed powder form which I felt confident to try. I can tell you that, very quickly the results of taking a very small dose, were nothing short of miraculous.

Maca is a turnip found indigenously in the high mountains of the Peruvian Andes and only grows above 12,000 ft. Native cultures that PREDATE the Incan era found that their livestock would become infertile when they "summered" in those high altitude grazing plains - until they found that, when they started feeding their animals the dried turnip roots that grew there - it RESTORED FERTILITY to their flocks!

Consequently the natives started using Maca for themselves. They found that it relieved "female complaints," and gave both men and women "extra energy." In fact, over time they started giving a healthy dose of Maca to their men before a battle, because it gave them increased stamina and endurance for the battlefield ... but then would cut off the supply to their troops after a conquest - - because it also made them more prone to "go after" the ladies! Over time, Maca was reserved only to the native "royalty" as its powers to restore fertility and libido were considered worthy only for their royal families. But when the Spanish arrived on the scene, it was used as a valuable "bartering" commodity -to appease and manipulate the conquerers. Hence, one can draw from this brief history, that Maca has been used by humans for millenia, and is completely safe.


Maca is Nature's own "hormone balancer" and, although there is very little scientific research into it, those that have studied this root say they believe it provides necessary micro-nutritients to the Endocrine system - regulating all hormone production. So if you are under/over in any number of the body's hormones, Maca is said to help modify any imbalance. Whether you are male or female!

It has been my personal experience that a little Maca goes a long way. I am somewhat shocked to see some of you ladies taking Tablespoons full?? And complaining of the taste? Perhaps you are using a watered-down version? But in my understanding of the use of this crucifierous root, 1-2 or 3 tablespoons is more akin to the dosage recommended for MEN who want to put "lead in their pencils!" (Which BTW, Maca has been clinically PROVEN to do! Increasing both motile sperm count and libido.)

My own experience is with a brand called "Royal Maca" and is now available at Whole Foods Market. It comes in both capsule or powder form. I take 1/4 tsp a day of the powder in juice - which is supposed to be the "larger" dose for "older ladies" (a higher dose than that recommended for those who are in their child-bearing years!). At a quarter tsp. per day, Royal Maca has been nothing short of miraculous for me.

Now I will tell you that taking this Maca on an empty stomach tended to give me a bit of intestinal gas - but as my body became accustomed to it, and I began making certain to take it with food, this problem has disappeared. There are also warnings that "too much" may cause diarhhea - so you can gage your dose accordingly. But in my own experience, within a very FEW days, I started sleeping much better, and the hot flashes became practically non-existent. Then, after just two weeks - - well, suffice it say that after a long, and cold winter, my "Goddess" has awakened to springtime! In fact I am just now considering "pumping up" the volume.

I have read accounts of women who suffered "early menopause," took Maca, and had their periods restored within 4 months! In fact, the manufacturer of Royal Maca recommends that users start with a small dose, and increase in small increments, a week at a time "until symptoms are 80% resolved." And one should not "give up" until they have been faithful to its use for 3 - 4 months - with only occasional "breaks" of a day or two, to keep the stimulation active. I have to wonder, if a simple root can restore a womb that has "gone to seed" - what can it do for those who wish to attain motherhood? And so, I am sharing this info with you at this site.

Now, I apologize to you all for this long initial post, but I believe very strongly in the body's own ability to heal itself, especially with a little help from "Mother Nature." So with great reverence, I hope She will not mind my "borrowing" her name for our purposes here.
MsNature is offline  
#6 of 36 Old 06-06-2009, 04:03 PM
 
MsNature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Sunflower Mama! How's it going on the Maca? (I see you are using my brand!) If you haven't visited the Mothering site in a while, please return to see my first, and somewhat voluminous post on Maca, esp. the part about doses - - and good luck with TTC!
MsNature is offline  
#7 of 36 Old 06-07-2009, 05:36 PM
 
Brown Lioness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: dreaming of cocoa babies...
Posts: 1,549
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bump! So what IS the recommended dose of maca per day for women who are in their childbearing years?

NMY actively making my dreams happen :
Brown Lioness is offline  
#8 of 36 Old 06-07-2009, 08:27 PM
 
MsNature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Brown Lioness -

Thanks for asking that very pertinent question!

Here is the dosing schedule for the Organic, Sun Dried "Royal Maca" I am taking, which I bought at Whole Foods Market. Please note the advise under 2 tsp - which is "too much for most" (their bolding), and can cause insomnia, anxiety, hot flashes and headaches. So the assumption that Maca is a "food" and that one can "take as much as you want" seems inaccurate.

Moreover, people who are of small stature or low weight are advised to start with the lowest dose 1 cap, or approximately 1/6 tsp.

Since a cut and paste of the mfr's recommendations might abridge copyright, I include the purveyor's URL to the recommended doses here:

http://wholeworldbotanicals.com/royal-maca-value.html

----
Quote:
removed by admin
---

Moreover, for problems with infertility, I am surmising that "skipped periods" (or anovulation?) would be the correct dose range. Advice for women is to take for 3-4 months, then take a break for a week or so, which keeps the effectiveness high. Men need to take "breaks" more often, if they are treating erectile dysfunction.
MsNature is offline  
#9 of 36 Old 06-09-2009, 05:30 PM
 
Brown Lioness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: dreaming of cocoa babies...
Posts: 1,549
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow, 1/6th a teaspoon? Yea, that is WAY, WAY less than i thought, lol.

NMY actively making my dreams happen :
Brown Lioness is offline  
#10 of 36 Old 06-09-2009, 05:34 PM
 
Mountaingirl79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Asheville NC
Posts: 1,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm doing the maca thing too. I just stir it up really good in water or juice and chug. To me, it tastes like asparagus.

I think the gelatinized version is taken differently. Less, maybe. My serving size says 5 grams, which is about 2 teaspoons. I am using nativa brand. ( non gelatinized)

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

 

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

 

 
 
 

Mountaingirl79 is offline  
#11 of 36 Old 06-09-2009, 05:55 PM
 
MsNature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yup! Actually, since it is darned hard to find a 1/3 tsp. measure, I am "winging it" with a 1/4 tsp. measure - sometimes slightly over the level, sometimes slightly under. But I feel I'm getting results, so I'm not worried about being too exact.

I believe the brand I am using is gelatinized, but it is not clearly labeled as such. (It looks like powdered ginger in fact.... very fine and dry.)

As for the taste - it seems more reminiscent of white summer turnip to me. And since it is in the brassica family (cabbage, broccoli, etc.), little wonder it sometimes makes me a bit "gassy." (Which is curious at such a tiny dose!)

I like to mix mine in 3-4 oz. of cranberry or cherry juice... with a fork!

One thing I WILL say - don't take it after about 6 pm. I made the mistake a couple of times of taking it after 7pm - - and was wide awake past 2 A.M.!!
But they do warn you about that, as it supposed to give you "energy."
MsNature is offline  
#12 of 36 Old 06-11-2009, 04:22 PM
 
walker67's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cool topic. I just started taking maca myself. I take Maca Magic in powder. 1 Tablespoon a day. I make a superfood smoothie. I got the recommedation off of www.naturalfertilityshop.com It is an amazing website with tons of info. I would love to hear some success stories with it..

SAHM to my DD 4/05 aka-chloequestionasker and TTC #2 this fall
walker67 is offline  
#13 of 36 Old 06-11-2009, 04:39 PM
LZP
 
LZP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 1,708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNature View Post
Brown Lioness -

Thanks for asking that very pertinent question!

Here is the dosing schedule for the Organic, Sun Dried "Royal Maca" I am taking, which I bought at Whole Foods Market. Please note the advise under 2 tsp - which is "too much for most" (their bolding), and can cause insomnia, anxiety, hot flashes and headaches. So the assumption that Maca is a "food" and that one can "take as much as you want" seems inaccurate.

Moreover, people who are of small stature or low weight are advised to start with the lowest dose 1 cap, or approximately 1/6 tsp.

Since a cut and paste of the mfr's recommendations might abridge copyright, I include the purveyor's URL to the recommended doses here:

http://wholeworldbotanicals.com/royal-maca-value.html

----

---

Moreover, for problems with infertility, I am surmising that "skipped periods" (or anovulation?) would be the correct dose range. Advice for women is to take for 3-4 months, then take a break for a week or so, which keeps the effectiveness high. Men need to take "breaks" more often, if they are treating erectile dysfunction.

Ms. Nature- do you know if it's safe to take during the weeks followin ovulation and/or once pregnancy is attained? if so, should the dosage be reduced? It seems that if it's only 'balancing" what's already present, it should be OK, right? But I'd hate to take this, and then find out we're expecting, and doing harm to our little one.
Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

The babymoon isn't over! Our long awaited A born 7/18/10, making us laugh and smile every day.
LZP is offline  
#14 of 36 Old 06-11-2009, 08:18 PM
 
MsNature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LZP View Post
Ms. Nature- do you know if it's safe to take during the weeks followin ovulation and/or once pregnancy is attained? if so, should the dosage be reduced? It seems that if it's only 'balancing" what's already present, it should be OK, right? But I'd hate to take this, and then find out we're expecting, and doing harm to our little one.
Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

Okay this is a question I was researching for myself - when I landed at this site!

The manufacturer of the product I use has precious little to say on this particular subject - i.e., once pregnancy is attained. Although I BELIEVE I read somewhere that they had advised against taking it during pregnancy, I could not locate that advice anywhere on their site when I was looking for it.

Recently a dear friend of mine, who is just 44, found that her "friend" had gone missing. After several weeks, and one BFN, I suggested she might want to try Maca - thinking she was starting her "change" and could use some "balancing" which might restore her menses. She wanted to try it and reported to me that, right away, she felt much better on the Maca, and had more energy.

Then about 10 days ago, she told me she had RETESTED, and lo and behold - She had a BFP!!!

I immediately told her that "to be safe" she had better stop taking the Maca. Which she assured me she would do. Then I started on my "search" for more info about this.

A couple of the websites I found said that WOMEN IN PERU DO TAKE IT WHILE PREGNANT! But most websites that were SELLING it, advised against taking Maca once pregancy is achieved. (Are they worried about legal liability? Perhaps. But, since there is precious little "scientific testing" on Maca, it might be hard for even the manufacturers to advise on this.) But I found it really curious that almost to a one, those same websites that advised ceasing the dose during pregnancy, encouraged resuming the Maca for lactation. (Go figure!)

When my friend called 2 days ago, she shared with me that "she had felt so much better when she had been taking a little Maca (about 1/6 tsp.), that she had decided to resume it." (!!!) I told her that it was, of course, her choice; and that only she could gage what was best for her.

So can it cause harm in pregnancy? I cannot answer this honestly, one way or another. What little testing there has been on Maca seems to confirm that it nourishes the regulating system that governs the body's hormones, and helps it to "balance" them. Certainly there is a lot of hormonal activity going on in pregnancy.

If I had experienced difficulty getting pregnant, and Maca "did the trick" I might be reticent to stop the "support." HOWEVER, although I might be somewhat reassured in the knowledge that Peruvian women are said to take it during pregnancy, I would definitely want to confirm that that this is a FACT.

If you are taking Maca and are concerned about this, there is a "question hotline" linked in the site above, and I would suggest you call them to get their expert opinion. The founders at Whole World Botanicals have first-hand contact with their associates who produce their Maca in Peru.

As for my close friend and I, we sort of share the mutual opinion that it is likely to be safe. She is reassured by how she feels. (This one will be #4 for her, and her youngest is 8! And, she certainly wasn't TTC.) But if I were pregnant, I would personally want more "confirmation" that the Peruvians, do indeed, use it prenatally, and I would want to know "for how long?"

Please be advised that I am not a doctor or an herbalist, nor do I sell Maca. But in researching possible remedies for my own health issues, I was personally convinced that Maca had undergone "longterm human use" and was safe to try; and I have been simply fascinated by the quick and satsifying results I have had with it.
MsNature is offline  
#15 of 36 Old 06-11-2009, 08:42 PM
 
MsNature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker67 View Post
Cool topic. I just started taking maca myself. I take Maca Magic in powder. 1 Tablespoon a day. I make a superfood smoothie. I got the recommedation off of www.naturalfertilityshop.com It is an amazing website with tons of info. I would love to hear some success stories with it..
Walker67 - Nice to see you here! I do believe I have seen a few "successes" with Maca at this site - however I think a couple may have been using Traditional Chinese Medicine, or other "alternatives" as well. I would love to see if it "works" for TTC too! It certainly got rid of my long-term hot flashes - and quick! Thanks for sharing your brand and dose. I wish you best luck!

Hey! Where's that "baby dust" Icon? I want to mix it with some "maca dust" for ya!
MsNature is offline  
#16 of 36 Old 06-11-2009, 08:52 PM
 
MsNature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker67 View Post
Cool topic. I just started taking maca myself. I take Maca Magic in powder. 1 Tablespoon a day. I make a superfood smoothie. I got the recommedation off of www.naturalfertilityshop.com It is an amazing website with tons of info. I would love to hear some success stories with it..
Oh WOW! I just visited the page on Maca at your fertility site.

They have a really COOL Video on Maca and its history!

http://www.naturalfertilityshop.com/...ack-p/mmsp.htm

Check it out!
MsNature is offline  
#17 of 36 Old 06-11-2009, 09:41 PM
LZP
 
LZP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 1,708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNature View Post
Okay this is a question I was researching for myself - when I landed at this site!

The manufacturer of the product I use has precious little to say on this particular subject - i.e., once pregnancy is attained. Although I BELIEVE I read somewhere that they had advised against taking it during pregnancy, I could not locate that advice anywhere on their site when I was looking for it.

Recently a dear friend of mine, who is just 44, found that her "friend" had gone missing. After several weeks, and one BFN, I suggested she might want to try Maca - thinking she was starting her "change" and could use some "balancing" which might restore her menses. She wanted to try it and reported to me that, right away, she felt much better on the Maca, and had more energy.

Then about 10 days ago, she told me she had RETESTED, and lo and behold - She had a BFP!!!

I immediately told her that "to be safe" she had better stop taking the Maca. Which she assured me she would do. Then I started on my "search" for more info about this.

A couple of the websites I found said that WOMEN IN PERU DO TAKE IT WHILE PREGNANT! But most websites that were SELLING it, advised against taking Maca once pregancy is achieved. (Are they worried about legal liability? Perhaps. But, since there is precious little "scientific testing" on Maca, it might be hard for even the manufacturers to advise on this.) But I found it really curious that almost to a one, those same websites that advised ceasing the dose during pregnancy, encouraged resuming the Maca for lactation. (Go figure!)

When my friend called 2 days ago, she shared with me that "she had felt so much better when she had been taking a little Maca (about 1/6 tsp.), that she had decided to resume it." (!!!) I told her that it was, of course, her choice; and that only she could gage what was best for her.

So can it cause harm in pregnancy? I cannot answer this honestly, one way or another. What little testing there has been on Maca seems to confirm that it nourishes the regulating system that governs the body's hormones, and helps it to "balance" them. Certainly there is a lot of hormonal activity going on in pregnancy.

If I had experienced difficulty getting pregnant, and Maca "did the trick" I might be reticent to stop the "support." HOWEVER, although I might be somewhat reassured in the knowledge that Peruvian women are said to take it during pregnancy, I would definitely want to confirm that that this is a FACT.

If you are taking Maca and are concerned about this, there is a "question hotline" linked in the site above, and I would suggest you call them to get their expert opinion. The founders at Whole World Botanicals have first-hand contact with their associates who produce their Maca in Peru.

As for my close friend and I, we sort of share the mutual opinion that it is likely to be safe. She is reassured by how she feels. (This one will be #4 for her, and her youngest is 8! And, she certainly wasn't TTC.) But if I were pregnant, I would personally want more "confirmation" that the Peruvians, do indeed, use it prenatally, and I would want to know "for how long?"

Please be advised that I am not a doctor or an herbalist, nor do I sell Maca. But in researching possible remedies for my own health issues, I was personally convinced that Maca had undergone "longterm human use" and was safe to try; and I have been simply fascinated by the quick and satsifying results I have had with it.
WOW!!! Thank you SO SO Much!!! I usually have a hard time researching too many herbals at once. I decided on Vitex, Red Clover, and Red Raspberry, ut then narrowed it down to just Vitex and a prenatal... I want to see if that does the trick.. it's been almost 2 months straight on the Vitex, although I did take it for about 25 days before our first pregnancy... i sometimes fear that i stopped it too dramatically, but just cant be sure either way.
Anyway, Another acquaintance recommended Maca, and now i wil definitely make a trip to WF to find it! will start next month if no results with Vitex alone.

Thank you again!!

The babymoon isn't over! Our long awaited A born 7/18/10, making us laugh and smile every day.
LZP is offline  
#18 of 36 Old 06-12-2009, 10:39 AM
 
hanamays's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
I just bought Maca extract in the pill form at my local health food store and the warning on the back says do not take if pregnant, TTC, or bfing. I am still bfing my 14 month old and obviously TTC. Does anyone know if the pills are significantly different than the powder it seems like most of you have? (my store only had pills available, but could order powder)
Thanks!
ps. they are 325 mg capsules from "planetary herbals".
hanamays is offline  
#19 of 36 Old 06-12-2009, 12:17 PM
 
Mountaingirl79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Asheville NC
Posts: 1,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope someone else can answer that better than I can but everywhere I've read says it is good for your reproductive health...I'm in my 2WW and I'm still taking it. I've also heard of many women conceiving while on it..that's the whole reason I started it..

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

 

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

 

 
 
 

Mountaingirl79 is offline  
#20 of 36 Old 06-12-2009, 02:44 PM
 
MsNature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hanamays - THANKS for that information! I see you have Maca "extract." This was the first type of Maca I had encountered in any of my regular health food haunts. The proprietor told me it was "flying off the shelves." But I was very reticent to try an "extract" which would seem to indicate a more "concentrated" form of this plant.

I always look to "low ball" any new supplement I take. One can always start off with low amounts and graduate to higher doses, but if you find you have some sort of "adverse" reaction to any product, you will not know if it was simply "too much" - or a sensitivity to the supplement itself, and you may wind up suffering for being a little bold. That is not to say that buying an extract was "wrong" for you, but it may be a reason for the warning. Why not call the manufacturer and ask for a clarification?

I think of adding supplements in a similar way that mothers are always advised to introduce foods to babies - one at a time, and a little at a time.

We are not all cut out of the same cloth, and one can never know whether to expect a reaction. You may tolerate this "turnip juice" with no problem, but your nursing infant may have a reaction.

I am somewhat in awe of nursing mothers who are trying to conceive. As I understand this Metabolic Miracle, a child who is still nursing exclusively serves as a natural form of "birth control." I was led to believe that this is nature's way of ensuring that there is always enough in the way of nutrients to "go around." But if your little one is 14 mos. he/she is likely tasting table foods by now, and that is not nursing "exclusively."
MsNature is offline  
#21 of 36 Old 06-15-2009, 01:35 PM
 
hanamays's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you MsNature! Very good info, I'm taking the extract back and getting the organic powder. I hope it works! I'm trying to let my son wean himself, but I really want to get pregnant soon and still have not had a PPAF. I've been using Vitex, but I'm going to stop it and switch to the maca. Plus, it will be fun to make smoothies with the good fruit thats in season!
hanamays is offline  
#22 of 36 Old 06-18-2009, 01:12 PM
 
GrapesBunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello! I have been taking maca since I started this cycle (except for about a week before O since I was out of town). I can say I can tell a definite difference in my libido but that's all for now. I also am taking the Navitas but cannot stomach more than a teaspoon. I literally almost vomit every morning after taking it. The reason I started taking it is because I came across a thread on here with a lot of BFPs giving credit to the maca. Good luck and to all!

So thankful for my DH and beautiful DD (21 months TTC, now 4 months old)  TTC #2 while BF 
I am one lucky lady!
GrapesBunch is offline  
#23 of 36 Old 06-18-2009, 01:44 PM
 
Mountaingirl79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Asheville NC
Posts: 1,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am thinking maybe I should up my "dose" of maca. Right now I take one heaping teaspoon everyday. My libido seems normal for me. ( which means it wanes toward AF but picks up around O time.) Maca has made my cycle this month a solid 28 days. But I didnt catch the eggy so we're onto a new cycle today.

I'm also looking to encapsulate the rest of my bag of nativas brand maca. My husband hates the taste and wont take it regularly...(he would rather I put it in capsule form for him. lol) I was looking on amazon for capsules. I'm thinking I should get size 00? Anyone have a good place that they get their capsules from? ( maybe a quick shipping kinda place?)

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

 

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

 

 
 
 

Mountaingirl79 is offline  
#24 of 36 Old 06-18-2009, 02:27 PM
LZP
 
LZP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 1,708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaingirl79 View Post
I am thinking maybe I should up my "dose" of maca. Right now I take one heaping teaspoon everyday. My libido seems normal for me. ( which means it wanes toward AF but picks up around O time.) Maca has made my cycle this month a solid 28 days. But I didnt catch the eggy so we're onto a new cycle today.

I'm also looking to encapsulate the rest of my bag of nativas brand maca. My husband hates the taste and wont take it regularly...(he would rather I put it in capsule form for him. lol) I was looking on amazon for capsules. I'm thinking I should get size 00? Anyone have a good place that they get their capsules from? ( maybe a quick shipping kinda place?)
I think mountain rose herbs sells capsules.... But, i have no idea how the sizes correspond to dosage... I guess you'd have to measure how much fits in, and then tell him "here, take this many."

I have no idea about how much to take, but i will do more research during AF i guess!


I will try maca after this cycle if AF shows, but hopefully, this is our month!

The babymoon isn't over! Our long awaited A born 7/18/10, making us laugh and smile every day.
LZP is offline  
#25 of 36 Old 06-18-2009, 09:27 PM
 
jcsquared's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i get my veggie capsules in the bulk area at my local health foods store so you could check that for a faster option!

Happily married to DH since 2007, mama to my sweet water baby boy, born at home on 5/3/10!
jcsquared is offline  
#26 of 36 Old 06-29-2009, 11:35 AM
 
GrapesBunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just finished my first cycle taking maca faithfully. I did miss about a week before Oing since I was out of town. I could see a definite difference this cycle. My libido was definitely increased with DH loved. In past months I've spotted anywhere from 2-4 days before AF actually showed. I've also had terrible cramps and even been sick to the point of vomiting--something I had a problem with when I was younger but grew out of. This cycle I didn't even know AF was on her way except for the fact that I was charting and had a nice temp drop the day before AF showed. I'm hoping that maca has regulated me enough to give me a BFP this month!

So thankful for my DH and beautiful DD (21 months TTC, now 4 months old)  TTC #2 while BF 
I am one lucky lady!
GrapesBunch is offline  
#27 of 36 Old 06-29-2009, 11:41 AM
 
MsNature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
GrapesBunch - Thanks for that very interesting report. I wish you Best Luck on that BFP!
MsNature is offline  
#28 of 36 Old 06-29-2009, 12:03 PM
 
GrapesBunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNature View Post
GrapesBunch - Thanks for that very interesting report. I wish you Best Luck on that BFP!
Thanks! :

So thankful for my DH and beautiful DD (21 months TTC, now 4 months old)  TTC #2 while BF 
I am one lucky lady!
GrapesBunch is offline  
#29 of 36 Old 06-29-2009, 03:07 PM
 
montlake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband is the one taking it. It's like freakin' Viagra.
montlake is offline  
#30 of 36 Old 06-29-2009, 03:25 PM
 
GrapesBunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by montlake View Post
My husband is the one taking it. It's like freakin' Viagra.
I can't imagine DH taking it since he's already got a libido that won't quit. It was better this month for me though because normally my libido is not much after O.

So thankful for my DH and beautiful DD (21 months TTC, now 4 months old)  TTC #2 while BF 
I am one lucky lady!
GrapesBunch is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off