OPK question... how soon do positives appear? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-02-2009, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm trying OPKs for the first time, and I'm curious as to what to expect. I've gotten negatives so far. When/if I get a positive, will it appear quickly, or do they usually take up to the specified time (10 minutes, according to the instructions)?

Thanks for your help!!
#2 of 11 Old 06-02-2009, 01:00 PM

what ones are you using??? When I get a positive it usually turns dark right along with the control line. Does that make sense??

Michelle and Bill w/: Newton,our yorkie + 11yo DS, Mark, and on 2/10/10 ...Elinor!
#3 of 11 Old 06-02-2009, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

So the test line appears right away, with the control? That's what I was wondering.. My negatives are taking a minute or two to appear, so I wondered if a positive would take as long, or if it would show up quickly. I guess it probably depends on a few factors, like how diluted the urine is.

I bought a 20-pack from early-pregnancy-tests on Amazon (same as early-pregnancy-tests.com). I also have a couple of Dollar Tree tests. Oh---for anyone buying DT tests, shake the boxes before you buy! I just bought 3, and when I opened one at home, the box was completely empty!!
#4 of 11 Old 06-02-2009, 01:38 PM

Yes, from what I have experienced it seems to take longer for my negatives to show than it does my positives.

OMG I can't believe there wasn't a test in the box!!!

Michelle and Bill w/: Newton,our yorkie + 11yo DS, Mark, and on 2/10/10 ...Elinor!
#5 of 11 Old 06-02-2009, 05:43 PM

Me too. The OPK turns + right away for me. It takes longer to confirm -. I usually will wait the full 10 min, to confirm either way, but yes, IME, my +OPK show up quickly with nice dark lines. GL!

Rachelle
momma to 4 wonderful blessings. #5 due Feb 14, 2010:
#6 of 11 Old 06-02-2009, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Good to know.. thanks for sharing! Sounds like I can safely assume that I don't need to stare at the strip for 10 full minutes waiting for it to turn dark if it doesn't come up quickly.

Yes, isn't that crazy that the box was empty? It was sealed, too. I'm sure that happens occasionally in the packaging process, but I did a double-take when I opened it and questioned whether I had taken it out already.
#7 of 11 Old 06-02-2009, 07:11 PM

Well, no OPKs ever became positive for me, so I can't help you-- just wanted to let you know I am pretty sure I ovulated though

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#8 of 11 Old 06-02-2009, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Ha! Lauren.. yeah, I think you may have ovulated! That's another thing I'm wondering... how much faith I should put in these things. My CM always seems to be a little watery, a little egg white, and a little creamy, all at the same time, so i was hoping to have another sign to use. But I guess i don't know if the OPKs work for me yet. Which brand have you all tried? Do you find a difference between them?
#9 of 11 Old 06-02-2009, 11:34 PM

I have tried 3 different brands now and I keep relying on my favs. The three I have tryed are 20pk answer....I do not like these. I got several days of positives with them and it was very confusing. I have also tryed First response and they worked pretty good for me. Last but not least, my favs, the kmart brand American Fair. These OPK's have been spot on every month. I get a positve on day 10 and ovulate on day 11. I have tried both the others in conjunction with these to see if I could find a cheeper brand or something else that I like but, for some reason I keep finding myself feeling really confident in them. They are about $18 for a pck of 7. I know that is a lot but, I guess I think it is worth it. The test line gets as dark or much darker than the control so it is easy to read. No guessing! Anyway what ever you decide, good luck! I hope they work right for you!

#10 of 11 Old 06-02-2009, 11:56 PM

I recently used opks for the first time, last week. I bought them from earlypregnancytests.com. I started testing on cd 11 and got a positive on cd 15. All of the negatives I got just had the control line and the test line didn't even show. Then the day I got the positive, the control line showed up right away and it took a minute or two for the test line to show. It also took a bit for the line to darken to the point that I called it positive.

Dd Sydney 3/06 & Dd Lola 2/10
#11 of 11 Old 06-03-2009, 01:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I gotta say, with the money spent on the disposables, and how confusing they are, take the plunge and buy the ClearBlue Easy Monitor:

http://www.amazon.com/Clearblue-Easy...4004092&sr=1-3

A little egg appears when youre ovulating - it also shows higher fertility before and after, too. I've been using it three cycles now and it really has made the "guess" so -not- a guess any more. It's been great!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page