Soy instead of Clomid this late?! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-12-2009, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
LZP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Ladies,
I'm hoping someone can help me get info to figure out what we should do in our TTC journey...

After following my 3rd cycle post-M/C at the RE, he has determined that I'm not ovulating properly... the eggs are not maturing, and my estrogen levels are still very low on CD 20.
If I wait it out, which could be up to a 55 day total cycle, he wants us to start on clomid to help eggs mature so we can have a *hopefully* viable pregnancy next cycle. The previous M/C was due to immature egg being fertilized (RE's dx) I also had low progesterone during the pg, and was put on Crinone for that. the low progesterone can be explained by the pregnancy not being viable from the start, thus not prompting the body to make enough prog to sustain on it's own.

BUT, I'd really rather not go the fully "medical" route just yet.

However, thinking that we are probably not ever going to have a viable pg if my eggs arent maturing enough on their own, I wonder what we should do? I have heard that women have great results using SOY isoflavones in a similar method to the clomid challenge... use soy on days 3-7 or 4-8, and then just going with the flow... but wanted to know, since my estrogen is STILL so low, still at my CD 3 level... could I take the SOY now, and see if it helped to make a mature egg this cycle still??

advice? Should I just *UGH* wait for another cycle??

should i try something else instead? Like maca, or something? I've been taking Vitex for almost 2 months now, but I dont think its been helping, even though generally results arent seen for 3 months or longer... should i stay on vitex with the soy?

ooooh sorry... trying to discuss this with DH, who is not at all versed in such hormonal issues, is difficult, and often met with, "whatever you think is best honey. It's our baby, but it's YOUR body." so sweet, but not helpful, and stressful to have all that on my shoulders...

anyone?

If you got this far, thanks for that! Any advice?
TIA...

The babymoon isn't over! Our long awaited A born 7/18/10, making us laugh and smile every day.
#2 of 5 Old 06-12-2009, 07:54 PM

if it were me i would try the soy. i read a lot of threads on soulcysters about soy, and many women tried it late in a cycle for this reason - just to help get a jump on things so they could move on.

my 1st cycle with soy (i just finished my 2nd) i took it starting CD11 because i tend to O late and i knew that my body wouldn't be prepping to O yet. i O'd at around the same time i usually would, but i had much better signs of O than i usually do (i usually don't have O pains or EWCM). no BFP yet, but i'm still experimenting with what CDs to take it and what dose. i am Oing regularly with it, and my LP is longer, so even without the BFP i'm feeling good about it.

anyway yeah, i would say try the soy! and avoid soy the rest of your cycle so the spike is more pronounced. i know a couple soy babies, so i hope that it brings you some good luck!

fuzmalesling.giffemalesling2.GIF mama to my spunky little girl, m, born 12/10/07 blahblah.gif, and my sweet little guy, k, born 10/27/10 babyf.gif
nocirc.gif familybed2.gif cd.gif homebirth.jpg nak.gif
#3 of 5 Old 06-13-2009, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
LZP

Quote:
Originally Posted by YummyYumYumMama View Post
if it were me i would try the soy. i read a lot of threads on soulcysters about soy, and many women tried it late in a cycle for this reason - just to help get a jump on things so they could move on.

my 1st cycle with soy (i just finished my 2nd) i took it starting CD11 because i tend to O late and i knew that my body wouldn't be prepping to O yet. i O'd at around the same time i usually would, but i had much better signs of O than i usually do (i usually don't have O pains or EWCM). no BFP yet, but i'm still experimenting with what CDs to take it and what dose. i am Oing regularly with it, and my LP is longer, so even without the BFP i'm feeling good about it.

anyway yeah, i would say try the soy! and avoid soy the rest of your cycle so the spike is more pronounced. i know a couple soy babies, so i hope that it brings you some good luck!
THANK YOU! just was I was looking for... someone to help guide me. Hearing that you actually know some soy babies is a big help, too!

More suggestions welcome!!

The babymoon isn't over! Our long awaited A born 7/18/10, making us laugh and smile every day.
#4 of 5 Old 06-13-2009, 02:13 PM

Hi Liz,
I had a miscarriage in January and had my first appointment with a RE yesterday. He wants to do testing next cycle to see if I have low Progesterone (blood test and uterus biopsy. I have spotting during my luteal phase, but still have a regular length luteal phase. How did you find out that your eggs are not maturing properly?

I've been on vitex since seeing a Naturopath in Oct 2008 and haven't noticed much of a difference. I am in my second cycle with Chinese herbs and acupuncture, however as my spotting has seemed to increase. I've decided I may be ready for a more "medical route." My OBGYN had me try Prometrium for 2 cycles and then was ready for me to try Clomid. I want have more testing done before I try these types of medications again.

If you're not ready to try Clomid I would get another opinion or see a Naturopath who could help you decide what suppliments are right for your body.

Hope this helps!

Good luck!

Miscarriage at 6 weeks on 1/11/09, DS born on 6/22/10, DS born on 5/31/12, and new baby due 4/2/14

#5 of 5 Old 06-14-2009, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
LZP

Hi SwanLake,
First, I'm so sorry for your loss.

During our pg, blood work showed that my progesterone was low... so they put me on Crinone. that seemed to help the baby stick, but he or she didnt keep growing. Since the pathology came back fine from the D&E, they assumed it could have been in immature egg (due to a prior hormone imbalance that used to be treated with BC). Then, this cycle, I've been going for the "typical" blood work and ultrasounds so they could see why my cycles are so strange and irregular (as long as 55 days, as short as 35), and what could be causing it. I had bloodwork on CD 3, blood and U./S on CD 12, CD15 and CD20. My estrogen and LH remained about the same throughout...(actually went down after CD12) The U/S showed two eggs on one side that were "promising" on CD12, but they did not grow at ALL between CD12 and CD 20....

according to RE, the lack of estrogen increase is what causes the eggs to not mature at the "correct" rate. I think (though not 100% sure about the workings of the endocrine system) that if the estrogen doesnt increase at the correct rate, then you can still have an LH surge, but it will prompt the release of an egg that's not fully matured.... Somehow, I DID ovulate in January, but due to low, steady estrogen, egg wasnt mature enough..? Some cycles might just be anovulatory for me. It's frustrating to go back to the RE every 5 days, and i think they gave up on me for this cycle... so i decided if we can't have the U/S monitoring, I'll just see what happens naturally...

so, to answer your question in 300 words or less.... they can tell about the eggs through U/S every 5 days or so, and the blood work.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page