Ovulation after IUD removal?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-10-2009, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I and 23 yrs old and I just got my IUD removed 7/2/09 after having it for a yr and 1/2. I do not know what my cycle is cause my period is so irregular. I had a period 5/22/09 that lasted about 4 days and then another on 6/16/09 that lasted about 4 days. So that gives me a cycle of about 24 days. I got the IUD removed 7/2/09 on a thursday, Friday I had a little spotting but saturday all day I had real heavy bleeding, Sunday afternoon it had ceased. Would this be because of the removal or would this be my period?? If thats my period then that would mean I would ovulate around the 17th right?? How do I know when my period is and when I will ovulate?? I mean I have to have a period before I can ovulate right?? Any help or similar storied about getting their IUD removed would be great....also starting on 7/8/09 I have been very emotional. Crying and my breasts are sore, I know I cant be pregnant and I even took a test this morning just to calm my nerves and it came back negative but is all my hormones bein all messed up normal? Thank You
#2 of 8 Old 07-10-2009, 05:16 PM

It is going to take a few cycles for your body to get over the IUD and become regular. A lot of ladies end up with shorter or longer cycles for those first couple months... and unless you chart BBT it can be nearly impossible to know for sure when you O.

That is to say, you could still possibly get pregnant right away, but the chances are lower than that of a woman who has not been on any form of birth control (other than condoms/abstinence/charting to avoid) before starting TTC.

The bleeding just after having it out is indeed from having it out and could possibly be an AF or maybe not, unfortunately you cant really know.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#3 of 8 Old 07-10-2009, 05:18 PM

Just anecdotal, but I did get pg the first cycle after my IUD was removed.

Autumn (1990) Blake (1993) Zoe (2001) Dmitrios (2002) and William (April 2009) born still @ 39 wks - my 4ever
#4 of 8 Old 07-10-2009, 05:36 PM

So I started my period on 5/26, ended 5/30, IUD(Paragard) removed 6/3, 2 days of bleeding/spotting after that, conceived 6/12, ovulated 6/12-6/14, and just miscarried on 7/5. So I've been reading lots and lots about IUD removal and cycles .
From what I gather, it can vary from person to person. I DO, personally think, that I miscarried because the removal started a little mini period for me and that I didn't develop enough of a lining for the bean to stick to. My MIL gave me a lecture about scarring, but that happened to her 40 years ago when IUDs were really different. And the Mirena has a bit of hormone in it, so that will affect your cycle a bit for sure.
But it all depends. If you want to be 100% sure that your system is back in sync before TTC, wait a cycle or three. Otherwise, there are lots of babies I am now hearing about that have been born to women who just got IUDs removed. It just depends. I'm sorry I don't have a more certain answer for you!

S, mama to boy M(6/07) and baby girl R(7/10). We do all the good natural family living stuff!
#5 of 8 Old 07-10-2009, 05:47 PM

Oh but I didn't have a Mirena, I had a copper IUD. No hormones.

Autumn (1990) Blake (1993) Zoe (2001) Dmitrios (2002) and William (April 2009) born still @ 39 wks - my 4ever
#6 of 8 Old 07-10-2009, 08:51 PM

I had an IUD for one year(Mirena). I really had no cycles during the entire year, but did have a bit of spotting a month before having it removed.

I had mine removed on Dec 24 2007, and had no bleeding, or anything. I was getting a bit worried, and decided to test on Jan 18th, and had a dark BFP!!! So I caught the first egg, apparently only one week later from removal of the Mirena. It is possible

: and 3 dd's (5, 4, 17 mos) and anticipating Michaela Skye (after my late daddy Michael.) May 26th 2010
#7 of 8 Old 07-10-2009, 09:50 PM

I had the mirena removed this year (March) after 4 years of use (occasional spotting, but no cycles). After the removal I started bleeding within a few days, and then after a few days it stopped. 14 days later I started bleeding again, and I think that time I actually had ovulation. I have ovulated regularly since, although my charts are still kind of out of whack. I have a very short luteal phase, but I am not sure if that didn't exist prior to mirena- I mean, it MIGHT have. I got pregnant in the end of April/May. That pregnancy lasted 8 weeks- so I am back.

I saw an acquaintance recently that had an IUD as well and it took her a year to get pregnant. After she had her baby, her body rejected the mirena (same as she had had for some time before) and she had to switch to the copper. I thought that was pretty interesting.. uncomfortable for her, I am sure, but still...
#8 of 8 Old 07-12-2009, 11:21 PM

Thanks for the thread. I'll be getting my Mirena out as soon as I get on insurance (I'll be elligable for my employer's plan at some date in Aug - and then I need to make an appointment when I get officially on insurance).
I was wondering myself if it was possible to be pregnant next month! wow !!!!!!

Married to a wonderful man and we have 1 adorable baby girl (8/30/2010) and 2 furbabies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page