How early is too early to ovulate? *updated with pic of OPK in question* - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 07-18-2009, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How early is too early for ovulation? I know I've read somewhere that a too early ovulation could mean an immature egg?? Does that sound right?

Anyway... I'm asking because my temp dropped this morning to 96.6 (!!) so I did an OPK for the first time this cycle. It wasn't positive, but it was mighty mighty dark - very close to positive. So I am either about to get a positive, or I just missed one. I'm only on CD 7!! Is ovulation this early even possible? If it is possible, would it even be viable?

I think my cycles are still just jacked up... I'm still breastfeeding and only two cycles ago got my first PPAF.

On an unrelated question -- how often do we need to DTD to keep DH's sperm in good shape? Have you heard that if you wait too long, there are more abnormal sperm? We so rarely get the chance to DTD. Sadly the only time we can do it is when DS is watching a video (YUCK!!!). We co-sleep and DS is very clingy to mama otherwise - which is totally cool with me, but just makes it hard to DTD.

Thanks for your insights!

Mama and co-parent to our beautiful DS (08/08) and our mighty strong DD (04/10) . Life is good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 07-18-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyZymurgy View Post
How early is too early for ovulation? I know I've read somewhere that a too early ovulation could mean an immature egg?? Does that sound right?

Thanks for your insights!
Um, have you take a pregnancy test? I mean I guess it's possible to O this early, but OPK's can be used as HPT's sometimes, and even tho you had your AF you could still be pregnant. I don't want to get your hopes up here, so please forgive me. I would (if I were you) take a HPT just to be sure, then assume you're O'ing early.

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

#3 of 4 Old 07-18-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyZymurgy View Post
no. You are born with a certain number of eggs... you release one per cycle until they are gone (which is when menopause happens)

They don't mature in the way that sperm do so Oing at cd7 would be fine. My thought? You are gearing up to O and have not Oed yet. This gearing up can last a week for myself, if it lasts that long for you that would put you at cd14 but even if you O before then you will be fine. FP length does not matter, only LP length does.

of the Charts on FF that have early ovulation (which is Im assuming anything before cd13) over 31% are pregnancy charts and only 3% are miscarriage chart... they have over 200 charts that fit it... so I would say that pretty much just confirms what I already said.

When I put in ovulation from day 7 to day 9, 25% are pregnancy charts and 4% are miscarriage... meaning it still hits right where the usual stats are for women.

putting in 7 alone puts it lower but there are way less than 200 charts to go by... 17% chance of pregnancy (which is still a good chance) and 3% chance of miscarriage (which is still nearly average)

The last study I read on sperm health was once per day if you have no mobility/count concerns, but you don't have to DTD if you are okay with him relieving himself.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.

#4 of 4 Old 07-19-2009, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

OK... so, I'm still confused. LOL!

Here is a pic of my OPK yesterday afternoon: http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/y...sticks/OPK.jpg

(Note that it did dry so it looks a bit darker in the picture than it did at the timelimit. But you get the idea... it's close to positive, but not positive)

In the evening I took another OPK, which was lighter.

I thought my temp this morning would be telling. But it doesn't help much. 97.6. This is the highest temp I've had all cycle, but aside from the big dip yesterday my temps have been around 97.3 or 97.2. I should also note that I am a TERRIBLE temper. I'm up a lot at night nursing my son. I'm a light sleeper by nature and rare sleep more than 2 hours at a time. But I am usually able to get an O pattern from temping anyway.

So... do you think I Oed on CD7?? That's just crazy early. But my cycles are crazy. Maybe my O is yet to come. I know LH can fluctuate - as can temps.

Oh... and btw... I read an article online about sperm count. It seems the general consensus is abstaining for just one day is ideal. More than ten days and sperm quality decreases. (Sadly, we often go more than ten days without DTD! )

Thanks for all your great info MP!! You're so awesome! We're lucky to have you on these boards, you are always so supportive. Thanks!

Tenk - I love your optimism! LOL! But I think based on my low temps there is no way I am pregnant. I also had the longest period ever (6 days! I literally finished AF the day before I think I may have Oed!)

Mama and co-parent to our beautiful DS (08/08) and our mighty strong DD (04/10) . Life is good.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page