If you don't ovulate do you not have a period? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-30-2009, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just wondering if someone does not ovulate and is not pregnant do they not have a period? If you have a period then do you know for sure that you are ovulating?

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2009, 01:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sort of... Some anovulatory cycles do indeed have periods, albeit that they tend to be a bit different (lighter/shorter) than normal periods. Though if you have lighter/shorter periods, that is not necessarily a sign of anovulation. Example: My periods last 2-3 days and are abnormally light... but Im still having a very obvious ovulation each month around CD16.

Generally, if you do not ovulate, you do not get a period. Such is the case with women who are on birth control that stop ovulation (the shot) or are breastfeeding and have a lack of ovulation due to that, and thus no periods.

Also, if you do not get a period and you are not pregnant usually that means you did not ovulate/ovulated later HOWEVER it can also be a sign of something called a functioning cyst, where the luteal cyst does not rupture as it is supposed to. One of the ladies on here is dealing with that now. They tend to be nothing to worry about and clear themselves up, though in rare cases they grow too large and will need to be taken care of. While these are common, it is not all that common that they hold off AF.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:44 AM

If you're not ovulating, you may or may not have a period. I went about 18 months having annovulatory bleeding in a regular cycle just like a menstrual period. I would never have known if I hadn't started charting my temp and CM. In my case, I had VERY heavy periods during that time, but I had just attributed it to my body changing after having had a baby. I have heard stories from others who found annovulatory bleeding tended to be lighter.

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
Old 07-30-2009, 02:20 AM

Yup, unfortunately you can have your period month after month and not ovulate- I do it all the time and it has been medically comfirmed I don't ovulate. My period is the same as it has ever been, and just as regular.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Totally possible to menstruate & not ovulate. I don't. That said, my periods are erratic & so are my temps.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Old 07-30-2009, 04:19 AM

My cycle before the one I'm on now was anovulatory for 54 days, and came.
So, yes it is possible to have your period and not ovulate.

~Manessa mama to one teenageer, one tweenager, and a toddler

User Tag List