vaginal temps vs oral temps - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-31-2009, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! I am brand new here!
We have been trying to conceive for 7 months now and chart very consistently. I have always taken oral temps, but today I got a lower temp than I thought I should (I am 6 days post ovulation) so I took it vaginally just to see. Well, it was higher so now I am wondering if I should be taking them vaginally.
Also, if I do begin taking them vaginally, is it going to mess up my chart? Should I wait and begin vaginal temps next month or can I start now? I wouldn't be so quick to jump to this, but I recently had a thermometer that was reading really low and switched to the one I use now.

Just wondering if anyone had some input, ideas or been there/done that advice. Thanks in advance!!!
#2 of 6 Old 07-31-2009, 02:32 AM

always start at cd1 when changing anything.

i started vaginally temping a month and half ago (im halfway through this cycle) and found it to be a MUCH more reliable indicator as sometimes i sleep with my mouth open and that cools down my temp. Also, if I have a stuffy nose I am not struggling to breathe while temping!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#3 of 6 Old 07-31-2009, 04:31 AM

I have - out of interest - tempted both! lol...and found my vaginal temp to be the exact same as my oral temp. Normally I prefer to temp orally - I rarely sleep with my mouth open and rarely have a stuffy nose these days - but if anything is against my oral temp, I am confident in temping vaginally instead.

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#4 of 6 Old 07-31-2009, 10:30 AM

I temp vaginally and found it really stabilizes my temps which is really nice bc Im still nursing and the times are somewhat random.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#5 of 6 Old 07-31-2009, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Maybe I will try doing them both for the remainder of this month, then start with just vaginal temps next cycle. I did both again this morning and there is about a .2 difference between them.
Thanks for the replies and ideas!!
#6 of 6 Old 01-24-2012, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Sorry to jump in. Just been searching thru some temping threads. I was wondering if taking temp vaginally will be more accurate if I sleep with an extra blanket occasionally. I am wondering because I did sleep with an extra blanket a few times in the past couple weeks and am wondering if that is what is giving me some strange spikes. I keep bouncing up to 97.7 and then down to 97.2 the next day...about 3 times now....the last 2 days I have been at 97.4 and 97.3. I am at the end of my cycle so maybe my hormones were just trying to stabilize.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page