OSOM Pregnancy Test **OMG am I pregnant?*** **Updated on post #38*** - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 54 Old 08-05-2009, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.medexsupply.com/diagnosti...x_pid-132.html

I think this is the kind they usually use in doctor's offices. It has a black dye - which was so weird and intriguing to me, I just had to try it. LOL!

From what I have gathered from a few other message boards, these are supposed to be insanely sensitive - more than FRER even. And evaps are supposed to be almost non-existent. (Which I find hard to believe, it sounds too good to be true.)

I am supposed to get my box sometime tomorrow, which will be 6 DPO for me. Does anyone have any pictures of this test (BFP or BFN?) Does anyone know how early I can start testing without being "too insane".

Any experiences, I'd love to hear... Of course, when I use it I'll let you guys know what I think. The price isn't bad for so many tests. Cheaper than anything I could get at Target, that's for sure.

Mama and co-parent to our beautiful DS (08/08) and our mighty strong DD (04/10) . Life is good.
#2 of 54 Old 08-05-2009, 01:13 PM

My doctors office uses the same type of tests as dollar tree..

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#3 of 54 Old 08-05-2009, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
My doctors office uses the same type of tests as dollar tree..

Did you ask them the name brand? Did they tell you how sensitive they are? These tests apparently look like dollar tree tests in that they are card style. I would assume a doctor's office would order tests from a medical supplier, but I don't know how many different brands are out there from medical suppliers.

I've never used DT tests, but I know they are sensitive. Think they are comparable? If so, how early do you start testing with DTs?

(Can you sense that I want to start testing early. LOL! )

Most info I can find about these tests from "real women" (as opposed to medical supplier type sites) say they claim a 20 sensitivity but there are reports of getting BFPs with blood levels less than 10. (Almost too sensitive, as you would learn about early chemical pregnancies, which are fairly common.) The board that has the most users and info is a surrogate mother's board. They all seem to rave about them.

Anyone here use them... ?

Mama and co-parent to our beautiful DS (08/08) and our mighty strong DD (04/10) . Life is good.
#4 of 54 Old 08-05-2009, 04:57 PM

I saw them take it out of the box... I had to be tested around november because I needed a medicine but could have been pregnant.

I mentioned that I use those too because they are so cheap, they said they use them because they get them cheaper than a buck a pack and they are still just as accurate.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#5 of 54 Old 08-05-2009, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

That's crazy that a doctor's office uses dollar tree - who'd a thought it?! LOL! Here I just assumed a doctor's office would have something "special" and ...um, doctory? I have no idea what my OB uses - I'll have to ask the next time I'm in.

I don't have any dollar trees around me, though... otherwise I can promise you that I'd have a massive stash! I know lots of people get evaps on them, but that's pretty forgivable in such a cheap test. Plus, I do hear of early BFPs on them.

Anyway, these tests are less than 2 bucks each, which compared to my usual brands (FRER, Answer, EPT) is pretty stinkin' cheap.

#6 of 54 Old 08-05-2009, 05:47 PM

There is no real reason for them to have a fancy pee test, they all do the same thing so they go with the cheapest that is still accurate. Some doctors offices have tests that don't test at 25 like dollar tree but 100 or higher!

#7 of 54 Old 08-06-2009, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

My OSOMs just arrived. I literally left supper on the table so I could run and try it. LOL! It's sad that I get so excited over a new brand of peestick.

I got a BFN (duh - I'm 6 dpo, what did I expect) but I thought you guys might like to see the test in action.

Here it is the second I put pee on it: http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/y...icks/OSOM1.jpg

Here it is after the 3 minutes passed (sorry it's a bit blurry. It's a BFN so I didn't care as much about a pretty picture. LOL!):
http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/y...icks/OSOM2.jpg

So that's the black dyed test. I'll be sure to post if I ever get a BFP on it.

#8 of 54 Old 08-06-2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyZymurgy View Post
So that's the black dyed test. I'll be sure to post if I ever get a BFP on it.
I hope you do!!!

Autumn (1990) Blake (1993) Zoe (2001) Dmitrios (2002) and William (April 2009) born still @ 39 wks - my 4ever
#9 of 54 Old 08-08-2009, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

OK, so I was beginning to believe that OSOM are really evap-free because I have taken a few now () and they didn't develop lines after they dried.

Until now. Dun-dun-DUUUUUUUN! (that was dramatic music, btw) I'd say about 25 minutes after taking a test today, it developed a line. I'll take a pic when I have a minute, but for now I just wanted to give you guys the update. It's an OSOM evap - they aren't infallible afterall. (I never believed they were, but there is a lot of evap-free hype out there on the internets.)

Pic soon - although it may not show up as it is pretty faint.

ETA

Here is a pic... I don't think it really shows up in the pics. It is very very faint, but a clear and solid line IRL. Just faint. Again, this came up after the time limit, so I am calling it an evap. I am 8 DPO...

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/y...s/OSOMEvap.jpg

#10 of 54 Old 08-08-2009, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

OK.... I took another test, and another faint line appeared (this a tad darker, but still insanely light). It appeared at 15 minutes.

DH has suddenly become a peestick pusher and had me take another -with pretty dilute urine I might add - and I got ANOTHER line. LOL.

So either I've gotten three evaps in a row... or.... dare I hope??? We are cautiously excited over here. I'll keep you posted with more test results as they happen. It just seems unbelievable that we'd get pregnant so quickly when it took us over a year the first time!

Anyone with experience on these?

#11 of 54 Old 08-08-2009, 03:53 PM

I can see the line! I can't wait to see how this turns out!! :

How sensitive are these tests supposed to be exactly?
#12 of 54 Old 08-08-2009, 04:02 PM

That looks like a BFP to me!

CPST & mom

#13 of 54 Old 08-08-2009, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, guys... but keep in mind that the line showed up after the 3 minute reading time.

Here is the last one I took. The line showed up around 10 -15 minutes, I'm not sure exactly when.

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/y...orevap8DPO.jpg

DH and I are just in SHOCK if this is real. We are praying and hoping...

I don't dare take an FRER yet. Maybe tomorrow.

#14 of 54 Old 08-08-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Thanks, guys... but keep in mind that the line showed up after the 3 minute reading time.

Here is the last one I took. The line showed up around 10 -15 minutes, I'm not sure exactly when.

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/y...orevap8DPO.jpg

DH and I are just in SHOCK if this is real. We are praying and hoping...

I don't dare take an FRER yet. Maybe tomorrow.
I think this one looks great!! :

Amie 34, DH Jason 34, DS Jacob 5 , DS Joseph 3
#15 of 54 Old 08-08-2009, 06:36 PM

Can't wait to see!

SAHM to Abraham (9) Gillian (5) Adrienne (3) and baby boy coming in October! 

Always missing our Gianna, lost during fullterm labor (8/23/04)
Sticking together through the good and the bad with dh of 10 yrs!

#16 of 54 Old 08-08-2009, 07:03 PM

:

Full-time RVing wifey, TTC #1 and working towards living debt-free!
#17 of 54 Old 08-08-2009, 07:40 PM

if they are cheap...

have your DH take one.

If you get a line, they are obviously evap lines.

#18 of 54 Old 08-08-2009, 07:41 PM

Congratulations : definitely a line.

Mommy to our Twin Miracles babygirl.gifbabyboy.gif born on 29/1/12

#19 of 54 Old 08-08-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
if they are cheap...

have your DH take one.

That's a creative way to test it! Good idea!

Wife to Bri, mom to G (8), R (6), I (5). Expecting #4 - 8.16.11
#20 of 54 Old 08-08-2009, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
if they are cheap...

have your DH take one.

Well, that'd be a good idea if every test I had ever taken had a line. But I had tested several without getting any line at all, so it isn't like they always produce a line. They just started producing a line, and every subsequent test has had a line. (After the timeframe, though.)

The fact that they are capable of not producing a line doesn't mean these are not evaps, of course... but everything I've read online about them says they have an excellent reputation for no (or extremely rare, more likely) evaps.

#21 of 54 Old 08-08-2009, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oonah View Post
I can see the line! I can't wait to see how this turns out!! :

How sensitive are these tests supposed to be exactly?
Well, while they are advertised at 20- the box came with an insert with a study done on the sensitivitity. According to that insert, while 100% of the tests will detect at 20, 60% will detect at 10. Who knows what percent detects lower than ten.

It was sort of cool to have that data. It was all directed to health professionals, of course. Not a lay-pee'er like me.

#22 of 54 Old 08-08-2009, 08:44 PM

I still say do it. You coulda been missing it on others... or gotten a box that was midway filled when one product ended and they started a new one.

#23 of 54 Old 08-08-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Well, while they are advertised at 20- the box came with an insert with a study done on the sensitivitity. According to that insert, while 100% of the tests will detect at 20, 60% will detect at 10. Who knows what percent detects lower than ten.

It was sort of cool to have that data. It was all directed to health professionals, of course. Not a lay-pee'er like me.
if 60% detect at 10 i shudder to think how many detect 5 which is a normal non-pregnant amount.

#24 of 54 Old 08-08-2009, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

MP - OK, you've twisted my arm. LOL! I've got a big box of them, so what the heck? I'll post back in a few minutes. (It took 10 minutes for mine to get good solid lines, so I'll wait that long for his.)

(Maybe I'll take another test too. heh.)

#25 of 54 Old 08-08-2009, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

OK, DH impressed me... he was able to pee on demand. LOL. We had his and her pee cups. We are relieved to announce that my DH is not pregnant. His test looked like the ones I was getting before - totally blank. So that is reaffirming. Not proof of anything, but reaffirming.

Since we were having a pee party, I took another OSOM - got another line. Pretty clear, but it came up at around 10 minutes (not the 3 minute mark you are supposed to read it at.) So I dared to dip an EPT in the urine and got this:
http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/y...OBFPorEvap.jpg

The faintest of faint lines on the EPT came up within the correct time limit. It's really really faint, though. It's hard too see in person, and likely even harder to see in the picture. I tried to adjust the pic so you could see the line, but it's still hard to see. Put on your crazy peestick googles to see it. This was the brand that gave me my first BFP with DS. It's the only blue-dyed test that I like, I've personally never had evaps on it - but I know they are totally possible.

I feel about 50% confident that I'm pregnant. I won't celebrate until I get a line on an FRER. I'm not brave enough to try an FRER until tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks for coming along with me down this obsessive path. I'm just praying these lines are real, and if they are real I'm praying that the little bean sticks.

#26 of 54 Old 08-08-2009, 09:15 PM

I'm 100% confident that you are pregnant :

CPST & mom

#27 of 54 Old 08-08-2009, 09:19 PM

My positive test looked like that 10dpo...its now 14dpo and they are still faint, but not sooooo faint where I thought I was seeing things lol. I finally believe Im pregnant, after 10 tests, blood work and now missing my period today. Anyway - I am very confident you are pregnant as well!!!!!!! Congrats!

Married the love of my life June 6th 2009
#28 of 54 Old 08-08-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
I'm 100% confident that you are pregnant :
me too!
#29 of 54 Old 08-08-2009, 09:24 PM

Are you going to take another one tonight? I ALWAYS got stronger BFPs with evening pee....it's not that uncommon.
#30 of 54 Old 08-08-2009, 09:31 PM

I agree, too -- looks like you're preggo!

Staying Zen om.gif for a healthy belly.gifand rainbow1284.gif babies via IVF after 2x angel2.gif

Grateful for my amazingsuperhero.gifDH!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page