40+ TTC~FALLing over to get pregnant - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 824 Old 10-16-2009, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
falling horse I have heard that the saliva scopes are not so reliable for older women. I have gotten clear ovulation signs with a temp spike etc.. and had no ferning during those times. Then at other times I have gotten ferning but no crosshairs from Fertility Friend.
So AFM I am no longer actively TTC I am tryign to get my cycle in balance and so I am still temping because that is the best indicator of everything. I am taking 4 different formulas of herbs during my cycle and seeing the TCM practitioner 4 times a month.
Dh left today for Oregon.The kids and I will be joining him in the summer. If we get PG between now and then that would be great but since he will be seeing us only 2 weekends a month at the max timing will be pretty much out the door.
I do plan to continue to hang out here with you all if that is okay?

Laurie (46) Wife to : Mom to 4 Grandma to :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#422 of 824 Old 10-17-2009, 12:34 AM

I'm still pregnant, ladies. I'm 39 weeks, due next week, so it could be any day now! We tested out our birth pool, and the water was not really warm enough, so we will be boiling water on the stove. We tried to get the landlord to increase the water heater temp, and they say they aren't allowed to by state law. Sigh. Sometimes I sure wish we owned our home (but I'm glad we didn't get in over our heads).

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#423 of 824 Old 10-17-2009, 11:31 AM

Jen- I remember my dp heating water on the stove for the birth pool, while cooking dinner for ds and helping the midwife get out of a parking ticket for parking in front of our house. Hectic, but fun!
Oh, and I was 13 days overdue!
Good luck & I hope your little one has a peaceful entry into this world.
#424 of 824 Old 10-17-2009, 11:47 AM

Hey guys,

I'm wondering whether any of you have ever had your AMH tested. I'm 39 (almost 40!), and have an FSH of 5. I do all the right things with fish oil, herbs, and diet. Obviously at our 'advanced age', we only have so many eggs left. Is that right? My OBGyn just took my AMH and it came back at .6. From everything I've read, this is on the low side. But the nurse and doctor keep insisting that it's really good. Are they smoking something? I'm convinced they're confused. But they're one of the best clinics in town. Anyone have any counsel?

Anyway, I got pregnant last year with a natural IUI but m/c at 12 wks. Since then, we've tried 7 more IUI's. We'll know next week whether this one was successful. I haven't taken any meds thus far, because I'd rather not mess with Mother Nature. The OB did suggest I try Leprozole for a few cycles. We're doing at-home IUI's, so there would be no monitoring. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'd prefer to do things naturally, but at this point I think I'd even try IVF.

Catherine
#425 of 824 Old 10-17-2009, 11:50 AM

I am not getting updates either so I have just caught up and whew I don't think I'lll be getting to all the personals. If I leave you out know I read your post and it's just my adhd kicking in and the need to hurry to get dd to violin lesson. MsGB how exciting your trip to San Diego sounds like a great way to relax and enjoy before incubation Hope it all goes well and you get pregnant right away.

Pookie bummer about the hot water but you'd be amazed how long a big pot of hot water would go in a bath. Growing up one of our homes used propane tanks and mom was always worried about using too much gas and running out so I remember boiling water in a tea kettle while my sister bathed and taking the kettle up to her to warm up her bath. LOL I was probably only 5 years old I can't imagine sending dd upstairs with a oiling pot of water next year yikes.

AFM I am pretty bummed out with my body. I am on CD20 and no temp change so I have not o'd yet this cycle. After last months weirdo cycle I am really disheartened and afraid this is it for me. I have been redirecting all my energy from researching fertility to researching homeschooling. I took 35 books out of the library and have read through most of them in the past 4 weeks. To the point that dh asked if we were no longer ttc. I so want another baby and don't know how to reconcile the fact that I waited so long. If I think about it it hurts so much so I have thrown myself into this new project. But I am not giving up just really disheartened. I have a little money left now that our refinance went through so I am going to see my TTC provider this week and see what she thinks. I also just remembered that when I was having the miscarriage the NP meantioned that I had a small polp on my cervix. I guess I was so overwhelmed at the time that I forgot about it until this week. So I am going to talk to my TCMperson and see if she has a way to treat it. I hope this missing o isn't the sign that my chances of conceiving are over. Keep thy fingers crossed for me ladies.

Good luck to everyone in their TWW. I need to get dd to class.

chicken3.gifdog2.gifcat.gifenergy.gif
#426 of 824 Old 10-17-2009, 12:43 PM

Catherine, I've never heard of AMH. What is it? From my experience, they determined my fertility by the Clomid challenge test. CD3 FSH level, then 5 days of clomid, then another fsh test to see how I would respond to meds. The fsh should be the same on both days (or close to it). Mine was great on CD3 (still is), but CD10 stunk (too high).

Kristin, I used to kick myself for waiting too long, too, but b/c there are options (DE, IVF, etc), although expensive, we can all still have babies if we're willing to take that route. Of course, I wish I had a doctor in my 30's who had asked me if I wanted children, and if so, pushed me to have them, with or w/o a partner. I would have avoided this huge expense and would be enjoying a grade school age child right now (if not 2).

Pookie, I'm sure you'll manage with boiling the hot water on the stove. How exciting! I haven't even thought of home birth, but then again, I'm single, so I may not have anyone around to help with that down the road. Is it ok for high risk pregnancies? I imagine that mine will be HR, due to age, but who knows...maybe I won't have any complications at all. Then again, who knows how many I'll be carrying? Yikes! I was told that embryos can split after transfer. How likely is that, anyway?

LegalShield Sales Representative.  (Affordable access to quality law firms throughout the US and Canada...low monthly fee!  Ask me about it!)  Mom to Justice :in doggie heaven (13 yr old Dalmatian), Single, age 47.  TTC'd for years.  Now lurking and rooting on my fellow women friends!

#427 of 824 Old 10-17-2009, 02:11 PM

MsG, my midwife doesn't consider me a high risk pregnancy, or else she wouldn't be having me birth with her. Age does not automatically equal high risk, there have to be other factors. Even when I had the previa diagnosis, she continued to see me, assuming it would resolve (she did have a back up Ob in case it didn't). I don't know about birthing at home without a birth partner, unless you wanted to hire a really great doula. But in the hospital you would still need company, especially to ward off all the interventions they shove at you.
Catherine, I have no idea what AMH is, but supposedly there is a theory that we actually do make more eggs later (they have found that women who have had chemo and radiation, then later a bone marrow transplant suddenly become fertile some of the time). I think acupuncture is supposed to help with that, but I can't be sure. I conceived with my own 43 year old eggs, but they say with PCOS that we tend to have more than most women anyway (I had a ton of follicles, and had I done IVF at 35 I would have probably had like 20 embryos).

#428 of 824 Old 10-17-2009, 02:26 PM

Thanks, Jen. It will be interesting to see how my life unfolds after I get pregnant.

I received the protocols for myself and my donor. Both of us will be taking BCP, PNV (prenatals), baby aspirin.

My meds will be: Lupron, Delestrogen (0.3cc), progesterone in oil, prometrium 200mg, Medrol, Doxycycline.

The donor's will be: Follistim 200 IU, Menopur 75 IU, Ganirelix, then the HCG shot.

If anyone knows of any inexpensive places to buy these meds, please let me know....especially the Follistim, Menopur and Ganirelix, as my insurance may cover my meds, at least in part, but not the donor's.

Thanks!

LegalShield Sales Representative.  (Affordable access to quality law firms throughout the US and Canada...low monthly fee!  Ask me about it!)  Mom to Justice :in doggie heaven (13 yr old Dalmatian), Single, age 47.  TTC'd for years.  Now lurking and rooting on my fellow women friends!

#429 of 824 Old 10-17-2009, 06:38 PM

good bfp vibes ladies!!!!!

pookie: i sooo miss the thrill of waiting for and going into labour...i had such a good one this time...i feel like a junkie who needs another fix!!!

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#430 of 824 Old 10-18-2009, 09:15 PM

Anti Mullerian Hormone - http://www.advancedfertility.com/amh-fertility-test.htm
Reportedly, AMH blood levels are thought to reflect the size of the remaining egg supply - or ovarian reserve. My RE uses FSH only, but some are moving toward AMH and FSH to get a more clear view of remaining fertility.

Kelli, Upstate NY mama, dh FarmBoy, raising 6:, his, mine, and ours.

#431 of 824 Old 10-18-2009, 09:19 PM

We're doing at-home IUI's, so there would be no monitoring. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'd prefer to do things naturally, but at this point I think I'd even try IVF.

Do you mean you're doing something different than IUI? As I understand it, from my single IUI, that's a intrauterine insemination with washed sperm from my husband. So I'm pondering what technology you might have at home. Is it possible you're doing intra vaginal or intracervical with donor sperm instead? If so, different things - with different level of risk etc.

#432 of 824 Old 10-18-2009, 09:56 PM

Fallinghorse,
I don't know ferning from a bouquet of roses, but I can say that are 42 myself, my RE said I'm likely ovulating still, much like I have been, but that the quality of eggs and sperm decline - so conception is less frequent. I've had monitored cycles and two pregnancies over the past year, but miscarried both. My first m/c's too. My ovulation shows up clearly on my charts, so that was reassuring to me that it's accurate.

My horse and buggy Mennonite neighbor is 43 on Nov. 6th, and due with her 10th baby in May. That makes me smile. She miscarried the same week as me in October, last. Her first miscarriage too. Makes me think there's hope for me yet - to have a 4th baby -6th child to join our family.

My RE said OPKs are useless in some women, and that either and u/s monitoring follicles or the basal temps are most accurate for predicting and noting ovulation. When follicle size and blood tests indicate clomid boosted ovulation is approaching, we use hcg Ovidrel shots, and then either timed intercourse or medicated IUI.

#433 of 824 Old 10-19-2009, 02:06 AM

Thinking of you, Pookietooth/Jen! Sending so many good wishes!

Also, fyi, people (midwife? my friend who was there? husband? I don't know they were angel-dear ones who took care of so much) used water from the stove to warm the tub where I labored and my ds was born. The water was wonderful.

treehugger.gifMama to DS (3/05 )carrot.gifh20homebirth.gif, wife to DH bikenew.gif, remembering rainbow1284.gifdog2.gifdog2.gif and angel1.gif Spirit 1/07, angel1.gif Hope 5/09, angel1.gif Harmony 6/10, angel1.gif Love 5/11, angel1.gif Joy 6/11

#434 of 824 Old 10-19-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel32brown View Post
We're doing at-home IUI's, so there would be no monitoring. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'd prefer to do things naturally, but at this point I think I'd even try IVF.

Do you mean you're doing something different than IUI? As I understand it, from my single IUI, that's a intrauterine insemination with washed sperm from my husband. So I'm pondering what technology you might have at home. Is it possible you're doing intra vaginal or intracervical with donor sperm instead? If so, different things - with different level of risk etc.
Yes, we actually do IUI at home. All you need is a speculum, an IUI catheter, a syringe, and washed sperm. My partner has watched the midwives do the procedure so many times, we figured it would be easy enough to do ourselves. And it is! Here's a great link that describes every step of the process:

http://www.theivp.com/tiki-index.php...+do+a+Home+IUI

I really enjoy being in the comfort of my own home. Plus, you can really pin-point the timing when you do it yourself. Not to mention the money you save. We save $250 a pop!
#435 of 824 Old 10-19-2009, 03:11 PM

With a home IUI, would you at least do some sort of ultrasound to see if you're ovulating or to check your uterine lining?
My official EDD is Friday, but according to my calculations it's Thursday. Either way, it's getting close!

#436 of 824 Old 10-20-2009, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thinking of you Pookie and wishes you happy Labor vibes.

#437 of 824 Old 10-20-2009, 11:12 AM

Pookie wishing you plenty warm water for your birthtub !

Kel Wow. I have never heard of DIY IUI. Good luck.

Kristin hope you get good news.

Mommies2be hope you caught the egg this cycle.

BHappy Good to "see" you!

FallingHorse I tried the ferning microscope but it didn't work too well for me. Clear Blue Fertility monitor works great though

Going to the OB today to tell her I am pregnant against her advice (stressed! - she told me to wait 4 months)This appointment was scheduled for the pap smear. I'm about 5 weeks and the sore boobs have kicked in along with fatigue and I am having a little bit of nausea (which is encouraging- didn't have it last time)

to everyone.

Lisa DH Pat DS Liam DS Jamessigncirc1.gif

Missing DD Lily 6/17/10- 12/13/12

#438 of 824 Old 10-20-2009, 04:09 PM

Pookie : for a great birth!

OK, ladies, I hope you can help me. I seem to remember reading a thread or a link on the TTC board about growing/maturing healthy eggs through nutrition or nutritional therapy (supplements, etc). It seems like this would be important to us over-40s whose eggs are decline in quality (supposedly). And it's really important to me after this latest miscarriage. I have three months off TTC while i wait for my lining to thicken. And it takes three months to mature an egg. Seems like a no brainer.

But I can't find the link/thread! Anyone have it handy or can point me in the right direction?

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#439 of 824 Old 10-21-2009, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

Congrats Lisa!!

#440 of 824 Old 10-21-2009, 02:42 AM

Lisa--yay sore boobs, fatigue, and nausea!! I hope it went well with the OB. 4 months seems like a long time to wait.

Still thinking of you, Pookie.

treehugger.gifMama to DS (3/05 )carrot.gifh20homebirth.gif, wife to DH bikenew.gif, remembering rainbow1284.gifdog2.gifdog2.gif and angel1.gif Spirit 1/07, angel1.gif Hope 5/09, angel1.gif Harmony 6/10, angel1.gif Love 5/11, angel1.gif Joy 6/11

#441 of 824 Old 10-21-2009, 10:43 AM

Whew! Went great at OB's- she did not give me any grief at all. And what do you know, she's also anti-flu shot... when I asked her about it she said "well.... the (whatever the board of OBGYN's is called) is in favor of it, but look on the internet and do your own research.... Getting an U/S in 2 weeks to check for placement.

Karen68 Is this it ?
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ng+egg+quality

just found the forum search button... it's in the row up there that starts with user cp -it's on the right

Hope your 3 months goes by fast!

Lisa DH Pat DS Liam DS Jamessigncirc1.gif

Missing DD Lily 6/17/10- 12/13/12

#442 of 824 Old 10-21-2009, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congratulations Lisa!!!

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#443 of 824 Old 10-21-2009, 05:50 PM

Lisa, I'm so glad that well and I love the flu shot story.

I'm officially lurking for Pookie news.

#444 of 824 Old 10-21-2009, 06:32 PM

Kel Wow. I have never heard of DIY IUI. Good luck.>>>

Oh no. Not me. I'm sitting at home with 5 children, 12 and under and we're not doing any home IUIs. That was the Mommies2Be doing that DIY medical project.

I limit my at home medical practice to bandaids and a little tea tree oil.

#445 of 824 Old 10-22-2009, 11:57 AM

Pookie I hope you are having a great labor right now.

Lisa congratulations.

Karen read The Infertility Cure there is lots of good information about nutrition and supplements. My TCM provider suggested the following:
Spirulina for egg quality
Wheat grass for egg quality
CoenzymeQ10 For both partners
Pycnogenol for both
A good multivitamin she prefers ALIVE!
folic acid to 800mcg
L-Arginine for both
Royal Jelly

I think there are a few others but they escape me right now. Also she prescribes herbs for the different phases of my cycle. I have also taken DHEA but over did it so it's important to have your levels monitored to make sure you don't do what I did and get your level 2x's what it should be. You should not take DHEA if you have breast cancer or PCOS.

AFM well FF says I finally ovulated. According to them it was CD20 I think it was actually CD22, I am hoping it was CD22 because our timing would have been super. If it was CD20 we don't stand a chance, we have kind of slacked off in that department since dh was hurt. At least I actually ovulated and I am back to being hopefull for next month. Next month would be great timing, I could still ski all winter before I got to the point where skiing would be a really ridiculous idea. Now I need to get back to the gym I have slacked off there as well and I am feeling it, I think I have gained weight which I really don't need as I am still carrying weight from my dd's pregnancy. At what age do you stop calling it baby weight and it's just plain old fat? DD turned 4 2 months ago I guess it's no longer baby weight.

chicken3.gifdog2.gifcat.gifenergy.gif
#446 of 824 Old 10-22-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaSedai View Post
I think that's the one. I guess i wasn't searching very effectively!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin0105 View Post
Karen read The Infertility Cure there is lots of good information about nutrition and supplements. My TCM provider suggested the following:
I read that at the beginning of the summer, and then forgot all about it! I'll need to go check it out of the library again. I'm eating better already (more beans and lentils, as rec. in that book ) to try to lose weight.

DS just said he wants to "love me" so I'd better get off this computer!

ETA: That thread led me to the website I was looking for:
Natural Fertility Info
I didn't read this page before, but remember wanting to come back to it. I hope it has some good information.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#447 of 824 Old 10-22-2009, 08:20 PM

Hi Girls-

I am in need of support and decided to reach out to this list....

I am 43 YO and have been TTC for 2 yrs. My diagnosis is anovulation due to excess androgens. I had ovarian drilling done and finally have started to ovulate!!! But, they are not the best ovulations.....CD24 p is only 10. It should be 12.

I am currently doing Femara/Follistim w/IUI. I had one cycle of this. My second cycle was blown due to the fact that my E2 was not high enough on trigger day. My follicle collapsed......

Has anyone heard of this happening? If so....details pluzzzee!!!

Thanks a bunch
Kelley
#448 of 824 Old 10-22-2009, 11:01 PM

Pookie...I hope you're having a wonderful birth! Keep us posted. I can't wait to see photos of your new little one!

Hello Frenchwhip. Sorry...can't answer your question about follicle collapse. What a bummer.

AFM, I had a sonohysterogram done today. lots of cramping and nausea. Ick. But...it revealed no abnormalities / polyps, etc, so I am cleared for take off.

Good fertility vibes to everyone!

#449 of 824 Old 10-23-2009, 12:24 PM

thank you massaginmommy. good to know the ferning isn't reliable for "older" ladies. i definitely ovulated this month and dtd... day 22 is Sunday and my temp is way up there....not getting to excited to day 28...i have shortish cycles....so glad my doula turned my on to "Mothering"!
#450 of 824 Old 10-23-2009, 11:11 PM

Has anyone taken the Yaz birth control pill? My doctor gave it to me to prepare for my IVF cycle. I'm supposed to take it for a month. I decided to look it up on the web, and it appears that it has at least a 6 times greater risk of blood clots than other BCP's. I'm kinda nervous about taking it now. Not particularly fond of BCP's anyway. Does anyone have a brand that they like (no moodiness or weight gain)? If so, perhaps I'll pitch it to my IVF doc.

Thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page