Is there a "Pre-emptive Babynames List" post yet? - Mothering Forums
Trying To Conceive > Is there a "Pre-emptive Babynames List" post yet?
miriam_bat_avraham's Avatar miriam_bat_avraham 01:35 PM 08-15-2009
If not... well, there is now

I'm passing the time until my next O in mid-September by making a list of names that I like for boys and girls. I used the babynamesworld.com top 1000 lists to compile them... you'd think with all those choices I'd have longer lists than this, but I'm really picky, apparently!

I want to know what names you love! Names of your current kids (if you're comfortable sharing, obviously it's fine if you aren't!), future kids, or names you love but won't ever use (family member used one, your last name doesn't mix, DH/DW/DP/DF doesn't like it, your grandma once had a cat with this name and you can't get that out of your head, etc). What names are on your lists? What's important to you in a name?

Boys' Names:
Abraham (#187)
Anderson (#326)
Bowie (not on list)
Brady (#94)
Cyrus (#512)
Grayson (#188)
Harrison (#219)
Jagger (#954)
Jarrett (#894)
Jesse (#110)
Joseph (#13)
Jude (#224)
Maddox (#208)
Malcolm (#546)
Reuben (Ruben) (#259)
Wesley (#194)

I do have to watch the "vowel n" names (Grayson, Harrison, Anderson, Reuben) because our last name is two syllables and ends in "-on." I skipped over a lot of names I like for that reason.

I also love Jack (as in Jackson), but there are a million Jacks and I don't want my child to be Jack C. in a class with Jack H. and Jack B. I was Julie M. starting in kindergarten and clearly it ruined my life, so. lol.

Girls' Names:
Anna-Louise
Greta (#694)
Hana (#827) (pronounced "Haaaah-na," not like the hard "a as in ant" in the US for "Hannah")
Ivy (#298)
Joy (#548)
Joya (not on list)
Louisa (not on list)
Marigold (not on list)
Martha (#617)
Penelope (Penny) (#358)
Ruby (#113)
Sunny (not on list)
Wendy (#458)

I love pretty sounding girls' names, even the sort of silly flowery ones like Sunny and Marigold. I would pair a name like Sunny with a more "sensible" middle name, so DFC could choose in the future for professional reasons to go by, say, Margaret instead. (Actually, Sunny Margaret is really cute! I like that... hmmm.) I've been known to include the name Apple on my names list, but DH gave that such a vehement HECK NO that I took it right off the list, haha.

Authentic_Mother's Avatar Authentic_Mother 01:48 PM 08-15-2009
Girls:

Tempest
Penelope
Sandra Fay (family names) call her Sandy
Coraline (my daughter insists on this one)
Clementine
Claire
Ellie
Heaven Leigh (haha hubs thinks it's cheesy)
Blessing Marie
Mahayla
Rhynn

Boys:

Xavier Orion (our baby we lost)
Addison (another lost baby)
Drew Michael (hubs likes simple names like Michael)
Finn
Rhynn

Haven't really thought too much about it -figure I will wait until we get a BFP before I seriously consider names.
slparker's Avatar slparker 02:31 PM 08-15-2009
Well, so far we have only two

Boy: Jackson Scott (nickname Jack)
Girl: Julianna Raine (nickname Anna)
Evergreen's Avatar Evergreen 02:36 PM 08-15-2009
YEP!!! We have pretty much narrowed it down but there is flexibility for when the baby is born in case the name doens't fit. (Please don't steal them!)

BOY
Daniel Ford
Daniel Seth
Daniel Jefferson

GIRL
Georgia Dare
Georgia Gail
Rowan Dare
justthinkn's Avatar justthinkn 02:41 PM 08-15-2009
Ok, since I don't think many people in my IRL circle post at MDC

Girls:
Abigail Ruth
Zoe Hadassah

Boys:
Judah Aron (ah-RONE)
Noah David (dah-VEED)
North_Of_60's Avatar North_Of_60 02:53 PM 08-15-2009
I love the name Willow for a girl, but hubby rolls his lips up everytime I say it. However, in my mind, my next girl's name is already Willow. It just is. You ever had that feeling?
enigo's Avatar enigo 03:18 PM 08-15-2009
For boys I like the names
Jesse
Nico
Axl (was going to name my baby this is he was a boy, budly sadly we lost the pregnancy, I'm not sure I can use the name now )
Kai

Girls
Kai
Flynn

I have a "weird" name and hated/hate it. Especially as a child when I used to care that people couldn't pronounce such an easy to say name. (Now t hat's their problem). Now my last name (married name) is a tough one and I feel the first name has to be relatively simple and no more than a couple syllables
I vowed not to saddle my kids with a very different name, yet I don't want the same names as every single kid on the planet.
Near us, all girls are names Sophia or Olivia and all boys are Hunter and Jackson.
I'm also not much of a fan of common names with strange spellings. Way to set your kid up later in life.
WTHamI?'s Avatar WTHamI? 03:23 PM 08-15-2009
Our first boy will be Rowan Paul. That one is pretty much a lock. I know a lot of people are starting to use Rowan as a girl's name, but traditionally it is a boy's name. Gaelic for "little red head" which is a definite possibility if my side of the family wins the hair.

Paul is the name of DH's father, who is awesome so we very much want to honor him if we have a boy, and Rowan is just a name we both like. Of course DH mainly likes it because he's a Mr. Bean fan (Rowan Atkinson), but whatever, as long as it's reason enough for him to agree on something because in our previous discussions on baby names I've discovered that he pretty much does not like any names. At all. If I left it completely up to him we would probably end up with children named Hey You and Stop That.

We have so far not agreed on any possible girl names. Meaning I have a list of about 20 I like enough to name a child that and he does not like a single one of them. And no, he will not go with Rowan for a girl, that would be too easy.

My current favorites are Arienh (AHR-ree-en, Gaelic for Oath), Eleanor, Ayla and Caroline. Of course DH likes none of these. Or the other two hundred I ran by him. The only girl name he's come up with that he likes is Allison. A good friend of ours just used it, and I have not one but TWO cousins with that name, so no.

We're really only planning on two babies, especially if we keep RVing for longer than the 4 years we originally signed on for. I swear a small part of that is because we will never be able to agree on a name for a third child. :
MaerynPearl's Avatar MaerynPearl 03:29 PM 08-15-2009
Alexander (call him Xander)

and for a girl

I cannot share because it is a very very unique name made out of our first names.
Drummer's Wife's Avatar Drummer's Wife 03:49 PM 08-15-2009
I am set on Dominic for a boy, and ATM I love Talia for a girl.
Authentic_Mother's Avatar Authentic_Mother 04:01 PM 08-15-2009
i also love the name Josephine. Hubby is okay with it too!
Newbian Mama's Avatar Newbian Mama 10:29 PM 08-15-2009
Since I'm in the pre-TTC stage I don't have much to do but make lists of baby names, so this thread is right up my alley!

Girls

Kaia
Joy
Fleur - means "flower" in French
Kara
Nadia
Monica

Boys

Andrew - for a very dearly loved family member, would call him Drew to differentiate from family member.
Nathaniel
Jason
Nicholas
Elias - already used in my family
Malcolm -
Cedric - would probabl never use but I like it a lot.
Nigel
Amir - again, would probably not use it because it sounds like "come here" but I love it.
reneeisorym's Avatar reneeisorym 12:21 AM 08-16-2009
Girl:
Reese Ann

Boy:
Collin Thomas
Qbear'smama's Avatar Qbear'smama 12:36 AM 08-16-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTHamI? View Post
If I left it completely up to him we would probably end up with children named Hey You and Stop That.
laughup

With our first baby, we also liked Rowan for a boy, but we had a girl so it was shelved but it may reappear if we have a boy. I also like Sullivan or Stellan or Julian for a boy. Our last name has an "er" at the end, so the names ending in "an" sound nice with it. I also quite like Rhys (pronounced Reece) but you know everyone would mispronounce it, so I doubt we would use it (and I'm sure DH would veto it)

I don't have any real ideas for girl names at the moment, although I do like Sienna. DD's name is not girly at all and is often used for boys. I like non-girly names generally and last names as first names, as long as they're not too "out there". Fun to think about!
songtothemoon's Avatar songtothemoon 01:27 AM 08-16-2009
OK, I'll play!
We haven't had serious name discussions yet; we will after I get PG again. However, we've talked about family names that we'd like to include, and, of course, I've fantasized about names on my own w/out telling DH!
We had a pregancy scare when we'd been dating a little over a year. After the negative HPTs, we went out for dessert and talked about baby names.
The first (and only so far!) we came up with was:

Boy
Benjamin Forrester (1st name for his grandfather, middle name -- a family name on my side -- my middle name and my father's middle name)

Names I've thought of...

Girls (haven't gotten to middle names yet)
Arabella
Isabella
Bella

There are others, but I'm drawing a blank right now...
Will update later!
Oliver'sMom's Avatar Oliver'sMom 02:43 AM 08-16-2009
Yay! I love playing the baby name game!

Boy:

Otis Birch
Harvey Douglas
Oskar Thomas

Girl:

Johanna Elaine
Oakley Alice
Juniper Beatrix - could never use because juniper was dh ex's cat's name

Wow, I really love "O" names, and trees

When I named ds, I had never met another Oliver and had never heard anyone use that name for anything. Well, low and behold, there are at least 5 other Oliver's in my town that I know of that are all ds' age.

There are also a ton of Jackson's, Ruby's, Henry's and Eva's
Pinoikoi's Avatar Pinoikoi 03:09 AM 08-16-2009
Op i really like Marigold and Ruby on your list.. although Ruby reminds me of that cartoon with the bunnies.. "Max and Ruby"

We have names that have Italian/Hispanic origins.. DP is Filipino, so our babes' names have to be transferrable that way.. iykwim

Generally we like vowel names we have U and Y left. Hoping for a girl. Ursula or Ysabella or Yasmine. Otherwise it is Ulysses or Yeager.

I tease DP all the time that if he gives me another boy I am going to name him Yoda. End of story.

I met an Onassis at the bank, I thought he had a pretty cool name.
miriam_bat_avraham's Avatar miriam_bat_avraham 03:43 AM 08-16-2009
I hope this isn't too long-winded... haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
I love the name Willow for a girl, but hubby rolls his lips up everytime I say it. However, in my mind, my next girl's name is already Willow. It just is. You ever had that feeling?
That's how we came up with the automatic first girl's name (which isn't on the list because I like keeping it private :grin). We both just knew it was "the name." I also had a dream in which a different little girl told me her name was Kitty. I'm going to assume she meant as a nickname! (In the dream my aunt asked what the baby's name was, and when I said "Kitty" she frowned and said, with some measure of scorn, "Like a politician's wife???")

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthinkn View Post
Ok, since I don't think many people in my IRL circle post at MDC

Girls:
Abigail Ruth
Zoe Hadassah

Boys:
Judah Aron (ah-RONE)
Noah David (dah-VEED)
Lots of Jewish names! Are you Jewish? I love Ruth in particular and am pushing for it as first daughter's middle name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigo View Post
I vowed not to saddle my kids with a very different name, yet I don't want the same names as every single kid on the planet.
Near us, all girls are names Sophia or Olivia and all boys are Hunter and Jackson.
I'm also not much of a fan of common names with strange spellings. Way to set your kid up later in life.
That's why we effectively dropped Jackson from our list but hey... as an FYI, I saw Kai twice on your list and I've seen a bunch of those around, both male and female. It's gaining in popularity. Tbh, there's not much you can do when it comes to trying to give your child a unique name unless you make it up, since pretty much all kids (in the US anyways) are being given "unique" names. You can name your child Archie but there's a good chance there'll be another one in his preschool class, at this rate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTHamI? View Post
The only girl name he's come up with that he likes is Allison. A good friend of ours just used it, and I have not one but TWO cousins with that name, so no.
Joseph, by that definition, shouldn't really be on my list because half the men in my family are Joes, including one of my brothers. I just love it so much, though! I also have a brother Anthony and a million other Anthonys in the family, and my dad and oldest brother have the same name, so trust me, I know what you mean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
Alexander (call him Xander)

and for a girl

I cannot share because it is a very very unique name made out of our first names.
I'm hoping we get to find out that name soon, then, maybe within a year of when DH gets home!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_Mother View Post
i also love the name Josephine. Hubby is okay with it too!
It's so pretty! I'm really starting to get into old-fashioned girls' names like that. I also love Clementine and Georgia (but Georgia's off our list because a) I've never been there and b) there are two living next door to the little boy I watch on either side of his house! That one's getting popular as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbear'smama View Post
I also like Sullivan or Stellan or Julian for a boy. Our last name has an "er" at the end, so the names ending in "an" sound nice with it.
I like Sullivan too, but I live in the Boston area and I could just imagine everyone calling him "Sully." *shudder* No thanks! lol. You lucked out with the last name there... that IS a nice combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver'sMom View Post
Juniper Beatrix - could never use because juniper was dh ex's cat's name

When I named ds, I had never met another Oliver and had never heard anyone use that name for anything. Well, low and behold, there are at least 5 other Oliver's in my town that I know of that are all ds' age.

There are also a ton of Jackson's, Ruby's, Henry's and Eva's
I took Oliver, Jackson and Henry off my original list for that reason. Lots of Rubys now, too? Darnit!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
Op i really like Marigold and Ruby on your list.. although Ruby reminds me of that cartoon with the bunnies.. "Max and Ruby"
I've heard of it but have never seen it. I didn't realize they were bunnies! I just assumed they were children. Max is a cute name too, but way too popular for me.
Pinoikoi's Avatar Pinoikoi 04:18 AM 08-16-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by miriam_bat_avraham View Post
I
I've heard of it but have never seen it. I didn't realize they were bunnies! I just assumed they were children. Max is a cute name too, but way too popular for me.
Max is the little brother bunny and Ruby is the big sister that is often babysitting him. Ruby does ballet and tea parties, while Max often gets in trouble (hiding, dressing up, making a mess, etc). They are like pencil drawings, but yes, bunnies.

Another original one I ran into recently- Ophelia. Similar in sound to Olivia (since you brought up Olivia and Sophia earlier), but definitely more unique, and I think, romantic.

I love Isabella, and I have for a LONG time, but it IS very overused, even here.. Dh LOVES the idea of an "itsy bitsy" though, so when I saw Ysabella, I thought that might be a nice compromise for us, but I am NOT sold on it at all.. not really into "off" spellings.
oceane's Avatar oceane 06:30 AM 08-16-2009
a name I love and can't ever use is Poppy. We're German and in Germany and a slang word for having sex here sounds pretty much like that name. bummer.
justthinkn's Avatar justthinkn 12:14 PM 08-16-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by miriam_bat_avraham View Post
Lots of Jewish names! Are you Jewish? I love Ruth in particular and am pushing for it as first daughter's middle name.
I love Ruth, too! We're Christian, and DH is Latino, BUT he did his Master's work in Jewish history and has a Jewish name himself. Jewish names are quite popular in Latino culture - it'll affect our preferred pronunciations!

Beyond the religious, which is important to us, some other reasons we love those names, girls esp. -

Zoe - sense of new life
Hadassah - I was obsessed with the story of Esther/Hadassah for a period growing up!
Abigail - not only the story of the Hebrew Scriptures, but also Abigail Adams
BarefootGirl's Avatar BarefootGirl 01:02 PM 08-16-2009
You mentioned Jackson, but don't want him to be called Jack since there may be many other Jacks?

I have a Jackson and we call him Jax. We had one neighbor awhile back that tried to call him Jack, but generally have not had problems.
enigo's Avatar enigo 04:04 PM 08-16-2009
A friend of mine has a boy named Sabal. After Florida's State Palm tree... Initially I thought it was spelled Sable. Either way, I always liked the sound of it.

We've already run into slight issues (happened again today) with my son Jesse's name. He is 3 and has longish hair, but barely past his collar. Usually kids are always confused. Then Jesse could be short for Jessica...Darn it, I thought I was so careful.
Mountaingirl79's Avatar Mountaingirl79 07:59 PM 08-16-2009
I like this game too! I wanna play!!

Our oldest children from my first marriage are Eli and Emmett. I always loved those names. If baby #3 is a girl, we were going to use Isabella because we both love the name but it is getting waayy too popular for my taste. Also, this might be kinda silly but...since "Twilight" came out and there is a Bella and an Emmett in it, I don't want to use another name from the movie even though my Emmett came first. LOL!!

So we are thinking about the name Isadora for a girl. Izzy for short.

Our boy name is already nailed down, his name will be Ian Mason ( insert our italian last name here) :-)
icy02's Avatar icy02 08:17 PM 08-16-2009
Yaaay so happy to post here!! DH and I have decided on a girl's name!!!

Aubrey Elizabeth

Boys:
Gabriel or Noah

We aren't planning on finding out the sex of baby #2 so I feel ok sharing the names
miriam_bat_avraham's Avatar miriam_bat_avraham 01:06 AM 08-17-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
Max is the little brother bunny and Ruby is the big sister that is often babysitting him. Ruby does ballet and tea parties, while Max often gets in trouble (hiding, dressing up, making a mess, etc). They are like pencil drawings, but yes, bunnies.

Another original one I ran into recently- Ophelia. Similar in sound to Olivia (since you brought up Olivia and Sophia earlier), but definitely more unique, and I think, romantic.

I love Isabella, and I have for a LONG time, but it IS very overused, even here.. Dh LOVES the idea of an "itsy bitsy" though, so when I saw Ysabella, I thought that might be a nice compromise for us, but I am NOT sold on it at all.. not really into "off" spellings.
I've heard 'Ysabel' before, pronounced like "EE-suh-bell." The parents called her Ysa, which I thought was cute. It's different enough from Isabella that, say, two of them in one classroom wouldn't be confused much, imho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootGirl View Post
You mentioned Jackson, but don't want him to be called Jack since there may be many other Jacks?

I have a Jackson and we call him Jax. We had one neighbor awhile back that tried to call him Jack, but generally have not had problems.
I'm really anal about that sort of thing I wouldn't want my Jax to be in a classroom with Jack H. and Jack W., they'd still get confused! But it is a really cool sounding name and I really do love the name Jack...
dmpmercury's Avatar dmpmercury 06:21 AM 08-17-2009
I love coming up with baby names. I am only planning one more but will still come up with names after that baby is here and named.

My girl front runner is Cora Francis

I also like Coraline, Lucy, Laila, Eleanor and Beatrix

For a boy name right now I am kinda digging Theron Thomas.

Other ones I have considered for my children or for my next pregnancy are

Henry, Archer, Gideon, Charlie, Miles, Lachlan, Elliot, Ezra, Peter, Declan

My kids are Delia and Theodore nn Teddy

I like old fashion names that don't sound too frumpy and I like it too be a little unique but not too out there. I prefer names out of the top 200. Since my kids and a lot of the names I like were of Greek origin I am trying to stick with that. Middle names are family names.
fierrbugg's Avatar fierrbugg 08:22 AM 08-17-2009
I had loved Isabella but several years of TTC made me impatient and we ended up naming one of our dogs Bella. I also always wanted to have a Lilliana - but that's one of dh's cousin's name and then I really thought I was being unique w/ Kaylynne (although I was thinking of spelling it way different) but about a year ago, dh's 15 y/o cousin got pg and beat us to it. Nevermind that we'd been ttc since she was 9. Nothing like a kick in the gut from someone who's just barely hit puberty. : One of my friends has a Nora and I really like that name. I'm leaning toward Ellie - such a cute, girlie name, I think.

I don't have alot of boy names picked out - although I tend to like unique ones, while dh pushes for names like Michael (there are 2 on my side and 1 on his side of the family). We have such a boring/common last name - that I don't want our kids to be one of 20 in the phone book.
momongeon's Avatar momongeon 10:21 AM 08-17-2009
Sweet!!! I'll play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeisorym View Post
Girl:
Reese Ann

Boy:
Collin Thomas
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!!

I am out the door right now but I will be back with my short list
Up