Pregnancy Signs for Nursing Mothers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-19-2009, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just wondering... For those who have gotten pregnant while nursing before, were the pregnancy signs any different for you?

Like I've always heard that nursing may feel different - are there other breast changes, or is that sign irrelevant b/c your breasts are already in nursing mode?

Do the nursing hormones make any difference in how long it takes before HPTs register a BFP?

Etc. etc.

(I'm 15dpo and had another BFN this morning. 15dpo is looong for me, and there are no signs that AF is on the way yet... But with DD I had my BFP at 11dpo...)

*** DH (wed 5/03), DD (6/07), and DS (8/11)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 08-19-2009, 04:19 PM

I conceived while nursing (my girls are 16 months apart) but I didn't have a period. I noticed a slight decrease in my milk supply but I thought it was because DD1 had not been nursing as often. I also felt tiny twinges when I nursed, thinking I might finally be getting my period. Nope, I was just pregnant

~ SAHM with two girls (3/9/06) and (7/1/07) and always remembering my angel (3/17/06)~
#3 of 13 Old 08-19-2009, 04:26 PM

Sore boobs have been waaaaaaay less noticeable this time than the first time around. Maybe I was just used to them feeling weird? There is some discomfort, but nothing that has stopped me from nursing.

My early symptoms this time were fatigue and nausea ... and some headaches. So I was reacting to the hormones, but just not as much in the breastological area as before.

It might be my imagination, but I swear my milk supply is already down a bit.

ETA: I don't think the nursing hormones had any effect on when I got a BFP. I started getting "maybe lines" at 7 DPO after the timeframe. Then solid lines and a positive digital at 9 DPO. (Same as last time.) I think the timing of implantation matters more than anything else for when you can get a positive.

Mama and co-parent to our beautiful DS (08/08) and our mighty strong DD (04/10) . Life is good.
#4 of 13 Old 08-19-2009, 06:41 PM

Two BFPs while nursing. No breast changes whatsoever with either one (except milk drying up later on). With DS2, major symptom was EXHAUSTION and ridiculous amounts of bleeding. No BFP until after two weeks of bleeding -- so pretty late.

With this pregnancy, major symptom was strange relationship with food -- craving/abstaining. Exhaustion too, but I had Lyme Disease, so that was a wash. DH told me I as pregnant because I was dreaming about fast food, but because I wasn't bleeding I told hi mit was impossible (I bled both my first pregnanices). In any case, I got a BFN at 20 DPO and a BFP at 28 DPO. Didn't test in between, but 20 DPO is still pretty late for a BFN. (I was pretty sure about my ovulation date this time, and it was confirmed by ultrasound.)
#5 of 13 Old 08-19-2009, 06:43 PM

May I ask what technique you are using to know how many dpo you are?

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#6 of 13 Old 08-19-2009, 06:53 PM

I leaked for the first time in months the night before I took my test. I had just nursed my LO to sleep, and wasn't full. The tenderness just now kicked in for me and I got my BFP a week and a half ago.

Jeanna, proud mama to 3 sweet girls!
#7 of 13 Old 08-19-2009, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I've been bf'ing when I got pregnant with all 4 of my girls. I didn't notice any difference in symptoms between them and my first. Well, actually there was one. I outgrew my bra before I knew I was pregnant with my oldest. Actually had to return one I bought in my normal size because it didn't fit. Other than that, I think I have had all the normal symptoms with all of them.
#8 of 13 Old 08-19-2009, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
May I ask what technique you are using to know how many dpo you are?
I've charted throughout 6 years of marriage - stopped while pregnant with DD, of course

#9 of 13 Old 08-19-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthinkn View Post
I've charted throughout 6 years of marriage - stopped while pregnant with DD, of course
So you are charting again now?

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#10 of 13 Old 08-19-2009, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Yes - CM and cervical position only at the moment, b/c DD wakes me up at such erratic times I just use paper, so can't post a link or anything... Anyway, I'm reasonably certain about dpo, and not asking for help with that

#11 of 13 Old 08-19-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthinkn View Post
Yes - CM and cervical position only at the moment, b/c DD wakes me up at such erratic times I just use paper, so can't post a link or anything... Anyway, I'm reasonably certain about dpo, and not asking for help with that
Thats not why I was asking... I just wanted to know if it was possible for a nursing mom to get accurate temps or if the nursing makes them odd.
Barbara McCoy likes this.

#12 of 13 Old 08-19-2009, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, sorry, it seemed like the Q was directed to me No, I just don't feel like messing with temping while sleeping is still erratic, and feel confident enough to just use CM and cervical position.

Let's open it up to the other experts, who might have an answer!

#13 of 13 Old 08-19-2009, 09:06 PM

im nursing my 16month old and didnt have any breast tenderness at all till 8 weeks.

"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes." -Harold B. Lee

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page