Is it Possible to O During AF? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-22-2009, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just finished cycle 1 of ttc#3, and AF just arrived. I have been having lots of spotting during my cycles (6-7 days of it before AF arrives), so I am having a very hard time figuring out when CD 1 is. Going by first day of real flow for the past couple of cycles, though, I am having very short cycles - about 23 days, when my normal is 28-30. I am using CBFM, and last cycle it picked up my LH surge around day 15, but then I started spotting 2 days later (spotted before surge for two days as well, then nothing for two days, then spotting again for a week until flow now).

I am so confused, and I want to make the most of ttc this month - the online ovulation calculators say that with my short cycles I am most fertile when I am still bleeding - is that possible? Can I conceive when I am still bleeding? (Blood does not make for a welcoming environment for conception). I will start temping this cycle, as I have never really been able to remember in the past. Not sure if the Clear Blue monitor will even ask me for sticks early enough...but why would the monitor have picked up my surge at CD 15 last cycle if I am possibly ovulating at the end of AF?

SO confused! My cycle was completely normal all year, and now this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 12:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Online calculators are NOT something you need to look at. because they have no clue. They are rarely correct for any woman.

However if you are getting peak a week before flow... with spotting that entire time, there could be something wrong.

Perhaps back up the monitor with BBT for a month... and if that confirms O is 7 days before AF as the monitor seems to think it is... tell your doctor as that is a sign of luteal phase defect, most commonly caused by progesterone deficiency... it may possibly be other things but as Im a doctor I dont know. I DO know however, 7 days is too short for an LP and does require a doctor to figure out how to fix whatever is wrong to lengthen it (10 days is borderline, anything less than that is reason to go to the doctor with proof of a short luteal phase)

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.

User Tag List