Vitex and Pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 08-23-2009, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Everyone

my husband and i have been ttc for over 3 years now. In may my husband had a testicular biopsy that wasn't very good. He had very low testosterone and almost no LH/FSH. We decided to try chinese medicine and acupuncture. Now he has normal testosterone and LH/FSH.

We also begun after my June AF to do BBT as my cycle regulate normally between 27-32 days. When my husband showed the chinese dr my BBT Chart she advised taking Vitex.

I OD on cd21 and now at CD41. My BBT is around 98F and has been at least that level all LP. I had some pinkish orange discharge from CD34-37 and have begun to think I am preganant.

I took a pregnancy test on cd35 and again today at cd41 but both times are BFN.

I show other signs of pregnancy like breast tenderness, fatigue, etc, but am dishearterned by the BFN.

Updated: I went for a blood test and it said negative, the dr said i didn't ovulate.

has anyone else had a similar discharge using vitex and had no ovulation

Whilethereishope
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 08-24-2009, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Vitex often takes 3 months or so to work so if you started taking it in June then you may not be seeing results yet.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#3 of 16 Old 08-24-2009, 08:02 PM

What tests did the dr do? HcG and progesterone? Just HcG? Did he do a quantitative or a qualitative analysis?

Because, while sometimes the vitex takes time to work, sometimes the pregnancy tests can keep coming back negative until one day it comes back positive and you find out you're 5 months pregnant. I have an aunt and a friend that happened to.

My friend kept taking the pg tests over and over, and going to the doctor to get tested, and they kept telling her she DEFINITELY WAS NOT pregnant. So she stopped going for 2 months, and then went back and they said, "Oh yay! You're pregnant!" and when they did the ultrasound, turns out the baby was roughly 18-20 weeks along. The home pg tests didn't tell her she was pg until two months AFTER that! Go figure.

Anyhow. Find out what tests he's basing the "you didn't ovulate yet" on. Also, you could try stopping the vitex and see what happens.
#4 of 16 Old 08-24-2009, 08:10 PM

Vitex can up your progesterone production... which can prevent ovulation (thats why some birth control is simply progestins... and why you have the week off so you can start your AF) I suggest stopping it for a few days... and if AF starts, dont start it again until after you confirm O each cycle.

The pregnancy symptoms can also be caused by the increase in progesterone (to explain why you would get those if this is the case)

There have been a few women on this board lately not Oing because of Vitex

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#5 of 16 Old 08-24-2009, 08:40 PM

Count me in the "many positive pregnancy signs and no ovulation on vitex" group. I'm on month 3 and it has given me worse PMS symptoms and I did not ovulate this month for the first time this year. I had really hoped vitex would be the answer, but I think it's not for me.
#6 of 16 Old 08-24-2009, 08:48 PM

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with orange discharge. It HAS to be the vitex. Never seen anything like it.
#7 of 16 Old 08-25-2009, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter

Hi saimeiyu the test the dr did was a Serum Beta HCG and was negative.
Thanks for the wisdom MaerynPearl, Peony, and shellnurse. Well i am now suspecting my AF will now arrive any day as today my BBT was 97.6 a drop of 0.4 from yesterday so will keep you all posted.
#8 of 16 Old 08-25-2009, 11:53 AM

whilethereishope I wonder if the vitex brand/dose has any impact on side effects. I used nature's way 400mg per day.

Regardless I'm getting rid of it since I started having horrible panick attacks and mood swings yesterday reminiscent of when I was on birth control pills.

I thought I was finally on the right track with "healing" herbs. What's an infertile girl to do???
#9 of 16 Old 08-25-2009, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Shellnurse

I am totally with you, I am sick and tired of all my friends falling pregnant and we have to struggle so hard, sometimes feels as if we are all alone.

I am saddenned to hear of the return of other bad things and hope they all go away.

That is a good point about dosage. I take a brand call health fusion and take one tablet a day at 1000mg (1g).

I wonder if the dosage is actually too high?
#10 of 16 Old 08-25-2009, 09:31 PM

Whilethereishope I read that the dose is 175 mgs "or more" daily. I thought that was bizarre, but the label on the bottle said 400mgs daily. I wonder if it's dose dependent. I do distrust something that can make CM orange. WTH?
#11 of 16 Old 08-25-2009, 09:39 PM

My guess the cm was orange because there was some lining shedding and turning it just enough to notice.

When I took vitex I only took it after O because it works by affecting progesterone and taking it before O can fool the body into thinking O already occured.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#12 of 16 Old 08-26-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
My guess the cm was orange because there was some lining shedding and turning it just enough to notice.

When I took vitex I only took it after O because it works by affecting progesterone and taking it before O can fool the body into thinking O already occured.
Can your body be so fooled that it O that you have a temp shift and a positive opk? Maybe THIS is my problem. I am an avid vitex user and am now wondering if I have been O? :

Dee: Mommy to a 2 y/o boy, expecting a in July and married to my .
#13 of 16 Old 08-26-2009, 09:05 AM

I dont know about opk, but temp shift sure.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#14 of 16 Old 08-26-2009, 09:24 AM

You can get a + opk without ever oing because your body can start to O thus the + but then for whatever reason your body dosnt follow through.

A temp shift as long as it is obvious then that would be an o a small shift would make me wonder if I did o or if it was a strong O. Sometimes o can be weak what happens then is that there is an egg produced but the corpus luteum dosnt follow through and produce enough progeterone. This is ofter seen in the form of a lp defect either a to short lp or a lp with lower temps than what you expect.

It is explained a lot better in tony weschlers book taking charge of your ferility. That book was my ttc bible

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#15 of 16 Old 08-26-2009, 09:30 AM

Whew! Thanks for the info Maeryn and catlvrmom!

Dee: Mommy to a 2 y/o boy, expecting a in July and married to my .
#16 of 16 Old 08-26-2009, 12:41 PM

Sorry for not posting more earlier, but I was very very tired...

Progesterone, which Vitex causes your body to create more of, is also what causes your temperature increase. If you suddenly start making more, your body will think you Oed... you will get a temp increase... but O did not have to happen (just as an example for when taking Vitex)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page