3 days of + OPK, when did I O? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-28-2009, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For the past two months I've had 3 solid days of positive OPKs (using CB Digital OPK). I've google'd my little heart out and it seems this is unusual but not unheard of, but what I can't seem to get is an answer to when this indicates I would have O'd.

I've see two statements that seem to be contradictory -
- That you will always O 12-24 hours after your first positive test
- That the reason that you can get multiple days of positives is because you catch the surge on the way up and on the way down

Does it stand to reason that the high point would be in the middle of the surge and this is what causes O so I O'd sometime after that??

Here's the past two months -

Sun July 26 9pm negative
Mon July 27 2pm positive
Mon July 27 9pm positive
Tue July 28 1pm positive
Tue July 28 9pm positive
Wed July 29 1pm positive
Wed July 29 9pm negative

Sun Aug 23 forgot to test :P
Mon Aug 24 2pm positive
Mon Aug 24 9pm positive
Tue Aug 25 2pm positive
Tue Aug 25 9pm positive
Wed Aug 26 2pm positive
Wed Aug 26 9pm negative

Any one care to take a guess as to when I actually O'd?

And any info about best times to O related to positive OPKs is very welcome also (I haven't done other charting yet, guess I'll be starting that next month).

Thanks,
Sharon

Me (36), my DH (37), our DD (12/07), and our new DS (7/7/10)
#2 of 11 Old 08-28-2009, 09:58 AM

:

BFPChart2.gif

#3 of 11 Old 08-28-2009, 02:45 PM

Everything I've read has said 24-48 hours after your last positive. However, OPK's don't confirm ovulation. They predict when it *might* happen based on the surge of LH. The only way to confirm ovulation is with a temperature shift.

Having said that, I got positive OPK's on cycle days 18 and 19, and then Fertility Friend confirmed ovulation on day 20 based on my temps. So that's a day ("24 hours") after my last positive.

I test multiple times a day, and as soon as it looks like it's getting positive (I get anywhere from 1-3 days of almost-positives) I get on it. This cycle I had 4 days of perfectly timed intercourse before my confirmed temp shift thanks to the OPK's.

So to answer your question... who knows. But as soon as the OPK is getting close to being positive, start timing your sex and keep going until it goes negative again. And if you can, confirm it with temping.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#4 of 11 Old 10-25-2009, 04:31 PM

this is my first cycle using OPK's and I too am on my third solid day of positives.

when you say, "start timing your sex", what exactly do you mean? Due to our schedules dh and I usually are only able to dtd once a day, after ds goes to bed. That should be enough, right? Does the time of day you dtd matter?

Enjoying life with DH since 05/04 and our two boys Oliver 02/07 and Theodore 07/10 

#5 of 11 Old 10-26-2009, 04:39 PM

I'm on my 4th day now of solid positives

Enjoying life with DH since 05/04 and our two boys Oliver 02/07 and Theodore 07/10 

#6 of 11 Old 10-26-2009, 04:43 PM

- That you will always O 12-24 hours after your first positive test

I have found this statement to be 100% incorrect and indeed it is within 12 hours to 3 days after your LAST positive test (according to my own unscientific research... looking at all of the charts on FF) 3 days of course being the rare extreme and is usually 12 to 48 after last positive.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#7 of 11 Old 10-26-2009, 04:53 PM

is it unusual to have positives for so long? is my body just really gearing up for this egg or what?

#8 of 11 Old 10-26-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver'sMom View Post
is it unusual to have positives for so long? is my body just really gearing up for this egg or what?
maybe... maybe its the sensitivity of the test.... do you know for 100% certain you are not already pregnant?

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#9 of 11 Old 10-27-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
maybe... maybe its the sensitivity of the test.... do you know for 100% certain you are not already pregnant?
no, I guess I don't know for sure 100%. I haven't tested. I had a ton of spotting last cycle (7 days!), then a normal period. I'm on cd 14

should I test for pregnancy???

#10 of 11 Old 10-30-2009, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Just an update for what these 3 days of positives seemed to mean for me -

I started temping two cycles ago, and my temps indicate that I O'd on the day after getting the first positive OPK (both months).

This month 10dpo I got a clear BFP on an FRER and on a CB digital. So this seems to line up with O'ing after the first + OPK (I would think that if I was much later (IE O'ing after the 3rd day of + OPK I'd still be a bit early to get a BFP).

I don't claim that for others getting 3 days of positive OPKs it would necessarily mean the same thing - just throwing this out for curious minds...

Me (36), my DH (37), our DD (12/07), and our new DS (7/7/10)
#11 of 11 Old 10-30-2009, 04:04 PM

you can get a bfp as early as 5dpo

its RARE

but you can.

I got one at 6dpo with my daughter that was dark enough I didnt question it. And no doubt I was only 6dpo.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page