Trying for a girl - a couple of questions about timing - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 09-09-2009, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a house full of sons and would like to try to increase our chances for a girl. I have a couple of questions about timing. I know we're supposed to BD 2-3 days before ovulation, and then abstain during O time. DH and I had sex Saturday and Sunday and I'm ovulating today (Wednesday). Any idea what our chances are of conceiving? It is so hard not to BD when I know I'm O'ing as we really want to get pregnant, but I'd really like to get this timing right as well. It's just frustrating thinking we might only have a 3% chance or something as I'm guessing things could take an awful lot of cycles at that rate!
#2 of 30 Old 09-09-2009, 02:04 PM

your chances of pregnancy are honestly about the same whether you bd 3-5 days before you o... or the day that you o.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#3 of 30 Old 09-09-2009, 02:51 PM

You know there was a study done in the last few years that said that breakfast can make a difference in the gender of a baby. I can't remember the details but maybe if you are a breakfast eater you might stop and hope for a girl or vice versa.
#4 of 30 Old 09-09-2009, 02:56 PM

I, scientifically speaking, can not see in any way whatsoever how eating breakfast could correlate to the gender of your baby, considering the mother really has no choice in the matter... its all on the fathers work.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#5 of 30 Old 09-09-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloe View Post
You know there was a study done in the last few years that said that breakfast can make a difference in the gender of a baby. I can't remember the details but maybe if you are a breakfast eater you might stop and hope for a girl or vice versa.

I remember reading that - it was something about moms who ate a lot of cereal early in pregnancy were more likely to get boys (I think). My guess is that mothers of boy just tend to crave the nutrition that they would get from cereal?

SAHM to a crazy little boy (4.5) and a silly little girl (3) and my VBA2C babe
#6 of 30 Old 09-09-2009, 03:03 PM

I don't have an answer for you but will have my FX that it works out the way you hope!

SAHM to a crazy little boy (4.5) and a silly little girl (3) and my VBA2C babe
#7 of 30 Old 09-09-2009, 03:35 PM

I was refrencing a study that made international news in the last few years, carried out by phd level scientists on gender. I don't have time to go looking for the study to give links however I remember it being interesting and anicdotially it correlated to my two children. However I would take my husbands interest in the study as a phd level scientist over your "scientifically speaking" advice. cheers!
#8 of 30 Old 09-09-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachsara View Post
I remember reading that - it was something about moms who ate a lot of cereal early in pregnancy were more likely to get boys (I think). My guess is that mothers of boy just tend to crave the nutrition that they would get from cereal?
I heard that too, but considering I have eaten a big bwol of cereal every morning since I was a kid, and I have 3 girls, I hold little truth in that.

: and 3 dd's (5, 4, 17 mos) and anticipating Michaela Skye (after my late daddy Michael.) May 26th 2010
#9 of 30 Old 09-09-2009, 03:50 PM

I can understand if it were speaking of during early pregnancy being a sign whether you are having a boy or a girl (I saw a marked difference between both of my kids, loved fruits/veggies with DD and junk food with DS) but not pre-pregnancy as a way of choosing. It just doesnt work like that... OUR bodies do not determine if the embryo is a boy or a girl... and eating cereal or not will not change the PH of our vagina or our timing on conception which is about the only things we, as women, can do to help maybe push the odds in one favor or the other.

#10 of 30 Old 09-09-2009, 03:54 PM

Have you read the study???? How do you know???

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...n4036102.shtml

This was the first link to the study that I found. Not saying that I believe it but it has some merit to think about. All science is only theory and we only know so much. People thought the world was flat for many years too.
#11 of 30 Old 09-09-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloe View Post
Have you read the study???? How do you know???

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...n4036102.shtml

This was the first link to the study that I found. Not saying that I believe it but it has some merit to think about. All science is only theory and we only know so much. People thought the world was flat for many years too.
This link provides some more useful information about the study (of which I'm trying to find an original copy... )

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24262928/

That said, I am a researcher by profession, and can tell you that correlation does NOT equal causation. It's one of the most important things to keep in mind (besides effect size and power) when studying impact or doing an outcomes study.

As critics of the study say (in the article referenced above) and as Mae is trying to point out (I think... I don't want to speak for you, Mae):

...the new research contradicts basic facts of human genetics. A father’s sperm determines a child’s sex, and there’s no evidence that maternal nutrition has anything to do with it, said Dr. Paul Magarelli, vice president of the Pacific Coast Reproductive Society.

“A correlation does not make the truth,” said Magarelli, who is also director of the Reproductive Medicine and Fertility Center in Colorado Springs, Colo. “I think it’s a spurious correlation, that’s all I can say.”

Who knows.

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

#12 of 30 Old 09-09-2009, 04:26 PM

It OUTRIGHT says: The early findings in no way prove that what a woman does or doesn't eat prior to conception influences her baby's sex.

The study is all about how women who choose certain nutrition tend to get pregnant with one or the other... but there is no proof that it is connected. I mean...

thats like saying: all the women I know get pregnant in threes, when one announces it two more will within a week (i have yet to be proven wrong on this theory btw... in almost 10 years now) thus it is scientific that when a woman gets pregnant, so will 2 others I know.

However, thats not a fact. Its just a coincidence.

You want a scientific link? Maybe women who like a certain food are also attracted to men whose pheremones match with other men who are predisposed to having sons/daughters. Hey, that sounds about the most logical to me... but in that case, not eating it wont make you suddenly get pregnant with a child of the opposite gender, because you arent changing anything about your DH.

#13 of 30 Old 09-09-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
It OUTRIGHT says: The early findings in no way prove that what a woman does or doesn't eat prior to conception influences her baby's sex.
Yeah. That, too.

Anyway, I think the OP asked about timing... those spermies can stick around for up to 5-7 days in good CF! Did you monitor this at the time of BD? I'd say you've got a shot! Good luck!!

Part hippie-chick, part type-A career woman, all mama. Enjoying life as a wife to my partner of 11 years, and a mama to our smarty-pants toddler, Cadence.

#14 of 30 Old 09-09-2009, 07:35 PM

Here is more info claiming that food affects the ph of a woman's body, which may contribute to whether xx or xy sperm make it to the egg. I have no idea if it's legit or not, or whether any of this is safe--I'm just putting the info out there: http://www.in-gender.com/cs/forums/t/3584.aspx

Rhiannon (33), writer and grad student. Miscarriages in 5/08, 3/09, and 7/09.  Deliriously happy mom to DD (10 mos), 8 weeks premature and miracle baby.  Remembering her twin brother, lost 5/10 to pulmonary hypoplasia after PPROM (preterm premature rupture of membranes).
#15 of 30 Old 09-09-2009, 08:35 PM

I believe certain things can help push it in one favor or the other, such as making your whole bodies pH more alkaline or acidic... but at the same time that opens up a LOT of other problems so its not something I would do. Yeah, I overdose on cranberry juice when I have a bladder infection, but I do all I can to avoid eating too much one way or the other so I dont let my body become a breeding ground for certain problems

#16 of 30 Old 09-09-2009, 11:19 PM

Timing and acidity are both part of gender imho. I could see if someone eats a lot of cereal and milk they might decrease their acidity, but honestly I think it depends on WHAT people eat rather than if they skip a meal or not.

I took my dp off bananas, I drink pineapple juice, and take cranberry tablets.. that is to increase my acidity, but I certainly don't skip breakfast, nor would I encourage anyone to do so, it just seems unhealthy. I eat breakfast every day. This morning for breakfast I had chopped strawberries on cottage cheese. It was delicious, and yes, I am also trying for a girl.

Yes, I do think the acidity thing is legit. My OB even told me to increase my acidity as well as focus on timing if I really wanted to try for a girl. She is very medical, and not really very "alternative" as far as medicine goes..
#17 of 30 Old 09-10-2009, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

nak, and i'm in a different time zone, but just wanted to jump on here and say a quick thanks to all of you for the info - and the debate! cheers.
#18 of 30 Old 09-18-2009, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm in the process of finding my old CBEFM tribe and was just going to post about this topic.
I just found out I'm due with a girl. I'm sure it just about chance, but Dh and I only got to dtd during the high time on my CBEFM (coulple days before peak, or O). Maybe something to think about.

As to the cereal, I eat cheerios everyday and will soon have 2 girls.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#19 of 30 Old 09-18-2009, 11:47 AM

I thought that said 'cheetos" lol.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#20 of 30 Old 09-18-2009, 03:33 PM

I thought it said cheetos too! LOL.

Angela married to the love of my life Mommy to Summer Hailey and Evan
#21 of 30 Old 09-19-2009, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

The Cheetos Diet - I love it! :
#22 of 30 Old 09-19-2009, 08:11 AM

There is a place that talks about swaying (foods, timing, and more), if this month is a bust for you and you are really looking to try to increase your odds (try is the opperative word). There are also forums there. The place is in-gender with the . com at the end.

An introvert and ain't ashamed of it!  love.gif
#23 of 30 Old 09-19-2009, 05:35 PM

lots of beer and a broken condom? that's how we got ours at least...

sorry- I know that wasn't much help.. I'll leave now

mischievous.gif
#24 of 30 Old 09-21-2009, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

BFP this morning! Last BD'd on a Sunday, O'd that Wednesday, so we'll see how we go.
#25 of 30 Old 09-21-2009, 10:16 AM

Congratulations. Good luck!

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#26 of 30 Old 09-21-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minta View Post
bfp this morning! Last bd'd on a sunday, o'd that wednesday, so we'll see how we go.

congrats!
#27 of 30 Old 09-21-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegemamato View Post
lots of beer and a broken condom? that's how we got ours at least...

sorry- i know that wasn't much help.. I'll leave now
this cracked me up!

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#28 of 30 Old 09-21-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minta View Post
BFP this morning! Last BD'd on a Sunday, O'd that Wednesday, so we'll see how we go.
CONGRATS! Do you think you'll find out the sex ahead of time?

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#29 of 30 Old 09-21-2009, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Blanca, probably not. I like the surprise and it's not overly important to me one way or another. We make lovely boys and if we have another blue bundle, I will still feel both blessed and thrilled, so I'm happy to just wait and see. I know I'm already lucker than I ever dared to dream and I'm just feeling grateful.
#30 of 30 Old 09-21-2009, 07:51 PM

Great news Congrats!!!

Loving wife to DH, ,, to four great kids 8, 6, 3, 1, TTC #5

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page