Progesterone ?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-18-2009, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, bear with me, this may be jumbled.

I'm wondering how those of you who have taken progesterone took it. Do you take it from ovulation on or after a positive pg test? I just had my 3rd miscarriage and my midwife recommended getting my progesterone levels checked immediately upon a positive pg test next time. From what I've been reading it seems better to take it from ovulation on. Do you need some kind of test first though to take it? Can it cause any problems?

I have been reading about how nursing can make your progesterone levels low and that makes me wonder. My first two miscarriages were while I was nursing dd1. I then stopped nursing and got pregnant and had a healthy pregnancy that resulted in dd2. Now I am nursing dd2 and got pregnant and miscarried. So I do wonder if nursing makes progesterone levels too low. I had a 12-13 day luteal phase before getting pregnant. Not sure what they will be now, my m/c was 3 wks ago so I have not gotten AF back yet.

Can you just get progesterone wherever? What form do you take/have you taken, cream, suppositories?

Thanks in advance for all the info you can give me!!!

Mama to three wonderful girls, H (9-2-04), A (8-23-07), and Q(4-24-11, our Easter baby). Married to D since (6-3-00).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 09-18-2009, 02:25 PM

I suggest letting your midwife test you, then putting you on the pills.

Creams are so hard to be sure you are getting the correct dosage (even if you measure the same every time) and if you don't rotate where you put it enough, you can over saturate with it and not take in any more, causing it to not even work.

Also, prolonged progesterone usage has been proven to cause weight gain so its best to just let your midwife do what needs to be done in your case.

Also: If progesterone IS your problem (without levels taken, you have no clue if that's actually whats going on) and you take it... be careful. If you start with progesterone before getting a BFP it WILL trick you into thinking you are pregnant even if you are not, the effects of an increase in progesterone mimic early pregnancy signs (mostly because those signs are also caused by the increase in progesterone)

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#3 of 9 Old 09-18-2009, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks that's good to know. Anyone else's experience?

Mama to three wonderful girls, H (9-2-04), A (8-23-07), and Q(4-24-11, our Easter baby). Married to D since (6-3-00).

#4 of 9 Old 09-18-2009, 09:03 PM

I just posted a similar question. I hope you get more answers than I did. But I did call my midwife and ask if it was ok to take progesterone without any testing. She said it was fine to use an over the counter creamand as soon as I get a positive pregnancy test that I should come in for a progesterone check.

I bought some progesterone cream, but I haven't decided if I am going to use it yet or not.
#5 of 9 Old 09-18-2009, 10:31 PM

well if you are using the cream and you get a progesterone check, just be aware that your levels may look fine but not actually be fine

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#6 of 9 Old 09-19-2009, 07:32 AM

Ok: BFing can cause high prolactin levels which tend to suppress progesterone levels.
This is easiest to diagnose and remedy if you're charting. Otherwise you're pretty much guessing.
Before you start supplementing, you should get your levels checked. Actually, you should get your levels checked about 7 DPO, regardless of whether you think you are pg or not-- that's the best way to tell if your body is making enough progesterone as a matter of course. If the level is below 10, then you probably do want to supplement.

What you generally want to do is wait until you've confirmed ovulation, so 3 DPO with temp shift, OR 4 days past the peak CM day, or 3-4 days past positive OPK AND CM dry-up. At that point, you'll want to use your progesterone supplementation of choice: cream or pill.

I have a ridiculously short luteal phase so I just started on progesterone supplementation for that, and take 100 mg of Prometrium vaginally twice a day.

If you're concerned that your pg levels aren't high enough, I'd check the normal luteal phase levels first, and go from there. If you decide not to use the progesterone for your luteal phase, then as soon as you get a + on the pg test then ask for a progesterone test, as well. If it's less than 15, you might want to supplement JIC.
#7 of 9 Old 09-19-2009, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the great information saimeiyu! That's exactly what I was looking for.

I will start charting as soon as my cycles come back. I'm really hoping that they're pretty consistent like they were before but not counting on it for awhile either. I don't temp because I'm still up quite a bit at night and never wake up at the same time or get consecutive sleep. But I do watch cm, ovulation tests, and have the mittleschmerze, which I know isn't always conclusive, but has always been spot on for me. I'm looking forward to really knowing my body and cycles again. We are also going to somewhat try for a boy timing wise so I'll review all of that too.

Thanks!

#8 of 9 Old 09-19-2009, 09:24 PM
LZP

First, I'm so sorry for your losses.

My RE prescribed progesterone gel suppositories- Crinone 8%. it's a pre-measured suppository thing, you break off the top, insert, squeeze, and the perfect amount is delivered right at the cervix, where studies have shown it's most effective. (Oxford studies, UNC reproductive study, UPenn Medicine study off the top of my head... and quite a few others)

Pills taken orally and topical creams can be effective, but pills inserted vaginally, or a gel developed specifically for vaginal delivery (Crinone is the only FDA approved one I think) are more so, since they dont have to be digested (there is no way to determine if all of it is effective progesterone after it goes through the digestive tract, despite what levels might show up in the blood) It's true that some OTC progesterone creams are tough to tell how much you're using... but you can use a little kid medicine dropper or a measuring spoon to get an idea of how much you're applying, and eyeball it from there. most good OTC creams (Pro-Gest Paraben Free by Emerita is one I used) will say that there is x amount of progesterone in each gram or something...

He told me a few things:
it IS best to start after O if you have a known progesterone deficiency. waiting till a BFP could be too late.

If you're using the vaginal delivery method, you will see effects in the uterine lining, and the progesterone levels at the source- but it MIGHT NOT show as much of an increase in the blood levels... just as warning. that doesnt mean it's not working, it just gets absorbed instead of being free in the blood.

also, if you have generally low progesterone, or an LPD that causes your progesterone to drop off AFTER 7DPO but before a pregnancy is fully implanted, that could still have something to do with a m/c, but might not show on your 7dpo blood work. (although the 7dpo BW is the typical protocol.) an, progesterone wont hurt you, if you take it properly, and stop it after your MW tells you to if you dont get a BFP. it will mean that your LP could lengthen, substantially.... i just got AF at 18DPO after many many BFNs. BUT, at least i knew my progesterone was up.

i'd say ask the MW for more info, and ask her to do some blood work BEFORE you're pg too.

Good luck with everything... that's a lot of what i know and have learned about the progesterone thing condensed (yup- condensed!) I hope progesterone helps you to keep your next little bean without having to wean your DD!

ETA: i wonder if low progesterone and high clotting factor commonly occur together? I was also prescribed low dose aspirin for after AF is over until the start of the next AF.. or indefinitely if we have a BFP. (after reading moondiapers post, it got me thinking...)I didnt know that the hormones made a difference in the amount o clotting factor or platelets that you have....

The babymoon isn't over! Our long awaited A born 7/18/10, making us laugh and smile every day.
#9 of 9 Old 09-19-2009, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My OB didn't test me or anything, but prescribed it because of recurrent early miscarriage. It was prometrium capsules 100mg 3Xs a day. I was to start taking it as soon as FF confirmed O. Then if I didn't get a pos HPT by 3 days after my expected luetal phase or if I started my period, I was to stop taking it. When I was doing this I was also on clomid. It worked, and I stopped taking it at 12 weeks pregnant when the placenta takes over progesterone production.......however, I have a clotting disorder so I was also on baby aspirin and then started heparin then lovenox injections as soon as I got a post HPT. Playing around with your hormones can be dangerous if you have an undiagnosed problem, because it can make your blood clot.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page