HCG 14 at 11 DPO - should I be concerned? - cautiously positive update on post 11 - another cautiously positive update in post 15! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 09-22-2009, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mamas:

Little background..

I've had two chemical pregnancies in my last two cycles. I just found out that I'm pregnant again (had a BFP at 11 DPO and took a blood test the same day). The RE's nurse called me back today and told me that my HCG was "low" at 14 but my progesterone was "normal" at 18. She mentioned that the OB dept considers an HCG of 100 "normal" at this stage in my cycle. She also says that I'll be 4 weeks tomorrow, when my chart indicates that I'll be 13 DPO, so not quite 4 weeks.

Anyhow, given that I've had two early m/c's in a row, I'm understandably concerned. I'm also feeling that I've been unnecessarily scared by the nurse, given all that I've read about HCG levels in pregnancy. I have to take another blood test tomorrow. Today, I took a few more HPTs, all positive, all of brands with varying sensitivities: one Clearblue Digital, one AccuClear (Inverness), and one FRER.

Would you be worried if you were me?

TIA!

Tabitha ~ devoted wife to my best friend Stephen ribbonyellow.gif and gentle Christian mom to six DSs: notes.gif E - 2/09/00REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifA - 3/05/03superhero.gifA- 6/05/06 guitar.gif H- 2/07/08 jog.gif J - 11/14/10 bouncy.gif T - 8/23/12 + stork-suprise.gif due 9/20/14!  brokenheart.gif DD Janae 10/19/09 angel2.gif
#2 of 15 Old 09-22-2009, 09:05 PM

Tabitha,

I have the exact same scenario that ended in a miscarriage in March...I sure hope you have a different outcome...I am praying for you and your wee one
#3 of 15 Old 09-22-2009, 09:09 PM

14 is a good number at 11dpo! They are probably going by 4 weeks along or something and not how many days past ovulation you are. If you think about it, you probably implanted at 9/10dpo and the odds are good for not having a loss on those days. I'd be more concerned if your progesterone was low - but it looks great! Congrats mama, and I hope things work out well.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#4 of 15 Old 09-22-2009, 09:54 PM

Is your doctor basing your levels on O date or LMP because if you O any day other than cd14... and they base your levels on LMP they will be incorrect... which Im assuming you Oed on cd15 since your doctor thinks you will be 4 weeks tomorrow but you will only be 13dpo.

When you deal with Oing any day other than cd14 it is best to fudge your lmp to be whatever date would make your O on cd14... for example if I were to O on cd16 (totally normal for me) the LMP I would give my doctor would actually be my cd3 date... acting as though that were my CD1 but since I O 2 days past when is normal, I would add 2 days to CD1 to correct it.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#5 of 15 Old 09-22-2009, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice and good thoughts. You are right, Mae, I should've fudged my dates a bit, especially considering my last cycle was a M/C cycle. And Kalamos, I appreciate the congrats and am praying for a sticky baby. I think you are correct about my progesterone being OK and the implantation date being around day 9/10.

Tabitha ~ devoted wife to my best friend Stephen ribbonyellow.gif and gentle Christian mom to six DSs: notes.gif E - 2/09/00REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifA - 3/05/03superhero.gifA- 6/05/06 guitar.gif H- 2/07/08 jog.gif J - 11/14/10 bouncy.gif T - 8/23/12 + stork-suprise.gif due 9/20/14!  brokenheart.gif DD Janae 10/19/09 angel2.gif
#6 of 15 Old 09-23-2009, 09:33 AM

My hcg was only 15, and I thought (think) I was 9-10 dpo, but I'm still not 100% sure. My numbers were on the rise just as they should be and I'm 8 weeks today. This was the only pregnancy i've had with such low hcg, but it's going well. my nurse also responded with, that's really low, and I responded with I O'd late, she said Oh, ok. I think that they are programed to be the nay sayer so to speak, and we have to be our own optimist mama, and MDC of course!!!

BTW I've also had several miscarriages in the past, chemical and otherwise which is why I had such early betas. It sounds good so far mama.

Check this web site www.betabase.info

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

#7 of 15 Old 09-23-2009, 10:15 AM

I think what number it is at initially isn't what is a good indicator, it's how much it doubles with the second and possibly third blood draws. If you O'd late and/or implanted late, I'm sure 14 is fine. Why they would say anything to worry you at all baffles me.
Congrats, and praying for a sticky baby for you!

Jenn (36), wife to DH for 13 years, DD1(13) , DD2(10) and DS(4)

#8 of 15 Old 09-23-2009, 11:20 AM

i think 14 is just fine for 11dpo! some women dont even get a positive on the tests with the sensitivity of 25 untill 14dpo the earliest. so if you double in 48 hours- you will be at around 45 or so at 14dpo which is quite normal!

"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes." -Harold B. Lee
#9 of 15 Old 09-23-2009, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again, everyone. Lots of reassuring advice here, and the betabase site was very helpful. I realized that I gave the nurse the wrong date for LMP - it was Aug. 28, not Aug. 26, and I looked at my chart again - looks like I'm 12 or 13 dpo today, but not entirely sure. I'm going to the lab for another HCG in a few hours - will update when I have news.

You are always so helpful, mamas. Hopefully I will have good news to share soon!

#10 of 15 Old 09-23-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul-O View Post
Thanks again, everyone. Lots of reassuring advice here, and the betabase site was very helpful. I realized that I gave the nurse the wrong date for LMP - it was Aug. 28, not Aug. 26, and I looked at my chart again - looks like I'm 12 or 13 dpo today, but not entirely sure. I'm going to the lab for another HCG in a few hours - will update when I have news.

You are always so helpful, mamas. Hopefully I will have good news to share soon!
When I got PG with DS 2, my HCG came back at 34 or 32, I dont' remember which but I was barely 4 weeks. He is now going to be 3 this December! So try not to worry. I look forward to hearing great news from you!! God bless!

Amie 34, DH Jason 34, DS Jacob 5 , DS Joseph 3
#11 of 15 Old 09-24-2009, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Update:

HCG was 34 at what I believe is 12 or 13 DPO, so definitely doubled within 48 hours, but not super high at this point. The RE's nurse was a little more positive about my prognosis than she was on Tuesday, but wants another HCG on Monday to make sure that I'm still going in the right direction. If that test is good enough to determine that my pregnancy is progressing, then I will probably start progesterone to keep the pregnancy viable.

Thanks everyone for your support and good information. I'll keep you posted.

#12 of 15 Old 09-24-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Update:

HCG was 34 at what I believe is 12 or 13 DPO, so definitely doubled within 48 hours, but not super high at this point. The RE's nurse was a little more positive about my prognosis than she was on Tuesday, but wants another HCG on Monday to make sure that I'm still going in the right direction. If that test is good enough to determine that my pregnancy is progressing, then I will probably start progesterone to keep the pregnancy viable.

34 at 13 dpo is a great number, considering a FRER will give a positive at 13dpo only 89% of the time... and its sensitivity is 25.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#13 of 15 Old 09-24-2009, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
34 at 13 dpo is a great number, considering a FRER will give a positive at 13dpo only 89% of the time... and its sensitivity is 25.
Indeed - good point! I am questioning why the RE's office is so insistent that I should be at 100 around 14-15 dpo. Perhaps they are used to higher initial HCG readings with patients who are having fertility treatments (don't know if this is the case - just a supposition on my part because I'm not having fertility treatments)? I never paid attention to HCG prior to having the two chemical pregnancies, and now I feel obsessive about it. I guess the losses have really spooked me .

Anyhow, thanks again for the reassurance.

#14 of 15 Old 09-24-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Update:

That's more than doubled. Sounds great and like I said, I got my first beta at close to 4 weeks and it was 32 or 34 and my son is perfect so hang in there and stay positive!!

Amie 34, DH Jason 34, DS Jacob 5 , DS Joseph 3
#15 of 15 Old 09-28-2009, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Today's HCG at 17-18 DPO (not entirely sure) was 268, so according to betabase, my doubling time was about 39 hours and I'm definitely still in the game. I have another HCG draw on Friday, then if things are still going well, I'll have an ultrasound scheduled for possibly next week. I've been on Endometrium 200 mg/day suppositories since Saturday, which I think is helping.

Thanks again for the positivity - I think it worked!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page