how does breastfeeding affect TTC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-12-2009, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
rcr

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have read in this forum things like "DS has been nursing non-stop lately, so I doubt that I can conceive this month." Does that mean that if you BF a lot, the chances of conceiving are lower? Is this only true at a certain time (when O'ing, or LP)?. Please help me understand! Should I try to cut back on nursing at some point in the month? btw - DS only nurses about 7-8 times a day now (perhaps a few more on the weekends). He is almost 2.

Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2009, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How are your cycles, are they regular? do you know for a FACT that you are Oing?

the thing about BFing is it can cause you to stop Oing (your body is giving its nutrition through milk and is not ready to handle another life... its your bodies choice, because it knows better than you do what you can handle) and still get AF so unless O is being confirmed each cycle you could still potentially be anovulatory (if you are Temping there will be no question on this)

the only other thing than that is it can deplete your body of several very necessary nutrients such as the B vitamins... so if pregnancy is achieved there is the possibility of negative effects on the pregnancy (but a good prenatal takes care of this problem)

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:48 PM

I got pregnant twice while BF, when my dd was 16 months and last month she was 31 months and I am still BF. I had a m/c the first one though. My first pregnancy while BF dd was nursing about 12 times a day/night at the time.

Corinne, mommy to Angelina 3-06-07 and Miabella 6-4-10

Old 10-13-2009, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
rcr

Mae, yes, I think that I am O'ing. I have only been charting for 2 months, and last month I had two out-of-town trips, so my cycle was a little wacky (I am hoping that was the reason). My LP was only 8 days last month. But it has been pretty consistently about 28 days in the last year or so.

My chart is here: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/224f32

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:41 AM

I was ovulating while BF, but was not able to get pregnant. My hormones, in fact, still had not recovered 6 months after we weaned. Now, whether this is just a problem by body would have had anyway, or if my hormones would have eventually worked themselves out months and months later we'll never know. I started take some meds after I ovulated to help boost my hormones, and got pregnant that way.

Mommy to two super cute kids.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:02 PM

a 2 year old nursing 7-8 times a day? Mine is 14 months and only nurses half that. Maybe you could try dropping a couple of those feedings and see how that goes. Lots of ladies swear by night weaning increasing fertility?

Jenn (36), wife to DH for 13 years, DD1(13) , DD2(10) and DS(4)

Old 10-13-2009, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
rcr

Thanks. I am going to try night-weaning.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcr View Post
Mae, yes, I think that I am O'ing. I have only been charting for 2 months, and last month I had two out-of-town trips, so my cycle was a little wacky (I am hoping that was the reason). My LP was only 8 days last month. But it has been pretty consistently about 28 days in the last year or so.

My chart is here: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/224f32
Dont really agree with the O date on there... pretty sure your LP was about 12 days actually.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HulaJenn View Post
a 2 year old nursing 7-8 times a day? Mine is 14 months and only nurses half that.
Really? At 14 months my DD was probably nursing 20+ times a day. Now, at 27 months, she still nursing 10 or more times a day. I don't think 7-8 sounds that out of the realm of normalcy.

Quote:
Thanks. I am going to try night-weaning.

I just want to say that there's probably not a whole lot of reason to nightwean if you are already ovulating pretty regularly. Your timing could be off a bit or it may just not be that right month.

I've been pregnant four times while nursing my DD. And she nurses a lot. Unfortunately, I keep miscarrying. But that's unrelated to the nursing, since I have a history of RPL anyway.

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

Old 10-13-2009, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
rcr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
Dont really agree with the O date on there... pretty sure your LP was about 12 days actually.
Really! I am new to charting, but I was kinda thinking the same thing. Thanks for looking at my chart. This sounds really positive!

Old 10-13-2009, 10:43 PM

I read somewhere that you are more likely to get pregnant with twins while you are breastfeeding than while you are not. Is there any truth to this? I can't remember where I read it. It could be one of those myths.

Lori ~ wife to DH 5 yrs ~ DS born naturally 11.20.10!
Old 10-13-2009, 10:55 PM

I think part of that is the things the mother goes through to increase her fertility so she can even get pregnant while breastfeeding.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklingGemini View Post

I just want to say that there's probably not a whole lot of reason to nightwean if you are already ovulating pretty regularly. Your timing could be off a bit or it may just not be that right month.

I'm in a similar boat, TTC #2 and nursing DD (19 mo) about 8-12 times a day (a lot through the night). Haven't gotten my period back, though. Been thinking about night weaning (for exhaustion reasons) for a while now, but too chicken to try it.

Should night weaning bring back O? A little confused here.

loving mommy to DD (3/08), brokenheart.gif our little strawberry (7/10). brokenheart.gif little seedling (10/10). brokenheart.gif little pear (4/11). Praying for a Rainbow - due Nov!

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***rainbow1284.gif**

Old 10-14-2009, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
rcr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootGirl View Post
I read somewhere that you are more likely to get pregnant with twins while you are breastfeeding than while you are not. Is there any truth to this? I can't remember where I read it. It could be one of those myths.
I read that you are more likely to have twins if you catch the forst PP egg - but I had not read about twins being more common throughout BFing (I hope that is true though!)

Old 10-14-2009, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
rcr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post

the only other thing than that is it can deplete your body of several very necessary nutrients such as the B vitamins... so if pregnancy is achieved there is the possibility of negative effects on the pregnancy (but a good prenatal takes care of this problem)
Mae - what are those nutrients? I am taking a prenatal, but nothing else.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Mae - what are those nutrients? I am taking a prenatal, but nothing else.
a prenatal will pretty much cover anything your body is going to give to a little one, through breastmilk or through pregnancy. I would, if possible, speak with your doctor (or midwife or nutritionist) to see if the AMOUNT you are taking is correct for someone TTC, as my doctor had me keep taking prenatals (at a pregnant amount) during breastfeeding to prevent depletion of nutrients... and Im not sure if it would be beneficial, in your case, to double the amount... but a doctor/midwife/nutritionist/someone who does this for a living may know.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:36 PM

Hi everyone,

i'm also constantly wondering how nursing is impacting our TTC chances. i'm not temping, but using a CBEFM and have had four months in a row with 'peak' readings. this is enough to confirm ovulation, right?

i've heard conflicting information about wether or not BFing can hinder implantation. anyone know anything about that?

also, my average LP is 11-12 days which i'm not sure is long enough. i have been taking a B complex on top of my prenatals but not sure it's helping....or if it even needs help really.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:48 PM

I feel like this may be the only question I answer here, lol!, please don't roll your eyes at me for answering again.

Anyway...

Yes, breastfeeding usually raises prolactin levels, which usually hinders implantation rates. This means, your egg and sperm will meet, they will create an embryo, and when the embryo tries to implant into the uterine wall, it won't be able to and it will miscarry. This isn't something that can be cured without:
1. nursing less
2. stopping nursing
3. even those didn't fix it for me, I had to take meds to lower my level.

Now, this will NOT be the case for everyone. There are some lucky people who are able to get pg while nursing, wish I was one of them. But, I'm writing about what the majority of bodies will do.

OP, sorry I can't answer your question about O-ing, i'm infertile and an irregular o-er. But, in answer to your question about cutting back, yes, it can help lower your prolactin level and increase your chance of achieving a pregnancy.

Once again, Chesapeake me!
Old 10-14-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganlisbeth View Post
Hi everyone,

i'm also constantly wondering how nursing is impacting our TTC chances. i'm not temping, but using a CBEFM and have had four months in a row with 'peak' readings. this is enough to confirm ovulation, right?

i've heard conflicting information about wether or not BFing can hinder implantation. anyone know anything about that?

also, my average LP is 11-12 days which i'm not sure is long enough. i have been taking a B complex on top of my prenatals but not sure it's helping....or if it even needs help really.
BFing does not have any effect on fertility outside of stopping ovulation. If you are getting peak readings there is an extremely good chance you ARE ovulating... but not sure.

11/12 days is fine for an LP

and trying for 4 months with no success is normal, even in a healthy non-BFing mama... its all a roll of the die, you just rolled not-pregnant 4 times now lol

Prolactin levels are not a problem with the majority of breastfeeding mamas, so that should not be a worry. The women it is a problem for are the women who would have a problem with it not-breastfeeding.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
rcr

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinches View Post
and when the embryo tries to implant into the uterine wall, it won't be able to and it will miscarry.
Why won't it implant?

Old 10-14-2009, 05:10 PM

thanks so much, ladies.

it can all be so confusing.

Mae, i know that 4 cycles isn't a lot...i'm just antsy because it took us two years to get a , and i'm of "advanced maternal age" (i'll be 37 at the end of the month).

i also just really want another baby, and really don't want to wean.

i had my day 3 bloodwork done today so we can have a baseline, but otherwise we're DIY until the new year when we will be referred back to the RE.

also? i'm considering taking fertilaid this cycle. i read up on all of the herbs on kellymom and it seems to be okay. http://www.fertilaid.com/formula.asp anyone have any opinions on taking it while nursing? it's basically just vitamins, vitex, red clover, siberian ginseng (i know panax ginseng is a no-no while nursing), and ginko biloba (this is the iffy one, but likely okay?).

i'm new to MDC, but you ladies rock.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
rcr

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganlisbeth View Post
and i'm of "advanced maternal age" (i'll be 37 at the end of the month).

i also just really want another baby, and really don't want to wean.
Me too: I don't want to wean, I really really want another baby, I am approaching 36, and now is the perfect time to have a baby for me (if I conceive soon, I will have the baby as I go up for tenure, so it won't interfere with work).

Curious about the fertilaid. I have never heard of it.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
I have read in this forum things like "DS has been nursing non-stop lately, so I doubt that I can conceive this month." Does that mean that if you BF a lot, the chances of conceiving are lower? Is this only true at a certain time (when O'ing, or LP)?. Please help me understand! Should I try to cut back on nursing at some point in the month? btw - DS only nurses about 7-8 times a day now (perhaps a few more on the weekends). He is almost 2.
i've gotten pregnant 4 times while pregnant the 2nd time i was breastfeeding an 8 month old on demand including several times a night, i don't think his breastfeeding should affect you getting pregnant although it can for some, have you used ovulation tests.

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

Old 10-15-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Why won't it implant?
She says it better than me

http://www.seanet.com/~rla/repro/Prolactin.html

Prolactin
Prolactin is a hormone which is highly elevated during pregnancy. It does not cause you to make milk throughout the pregnancy in part because other hormones are also highly elevated, and they work in opposition to prolactin. (This is related to why estrogen based birth control negatively affects milk supply.) Prolactin is produced by the pituitary, not the ovaries, so even women who have had complete hysterectomies (and men) can produce milk. Prolactin is inhibited by dopamine (or something plus dopamine), so people treated for depression often experience lactation.

Prolactin production goes up in response to nipple stimulation (up to 10-20 times in response to suckling). It is higher at night, like oxytocin, another pituitary hormone, but with a different patten: it begins to rise in the evening and peaks in the early morning. This is yet another reason for sleeping with or near your baby.

Prolactin is very protective against the effects of stress.

Prolactin prevents the release of luteinizing hormone from the pituitary gland. Luteinizing hormone causes an egg to be released (ovulation) and the luteal phase to begin. If prolactin levels drop and stay low (a long interval between breastfeeding), an egg can slip out. But even if ovulation occurs, and the resulting egg is fertilized, regular, high levels of prolactin from frequent, intensive breastfeeding will make successful implantation less likely (about 30% reduction in fertility associated with breastfeeding, even after menstruation has returned), by further interfering with estrogen and progesterone, leading to a short luteal phase (less than the ten days necessary for successful implantation).

Prolactin is really effective at preventing pregnancy. High prolactin levels from other causes (such as a tumor in the pituitary gland, and a long list of other things including emotional or physical stress, exercise or a lot of protein) accounts for a significant number of women who have irregular ovulation and go see a fertility specialist in an effort to get pregnant.

Once again, Chesapeake me!

User Tag List