Conceiving Twins? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-12-2004, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
EBM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there a way to facilitate the release of more than one egg?
#2 of 12 Old 02-12-2004, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Short of fertility drugs that cause you to mature more than one egg at a time....not that I know of.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#3 of 12 Old 02-15-2004, 09:16 PM

#4 of 12 Old 02-18-2004, 10:54 PM

Why in the world would you want to conceive twins?

Please, don't get me wrong. I am over the moon about my twins.

But...

a twin pregnancy often involves a very complicated, uncomfortable, and often risky pregnancy... premature delivery with days or weeks (or months) in the NICU... permanent developmental disabilities for those born super premature or with twin pregnancy complications such as IUGR or TTTS... absolutely heart-wrenchingly difficult and stressful newborn (and infant... and baby) stage that has you constantly questioning your ability to "cut it" as an AP mama... and let's not even talk about the cost of diapers!!!

Having twins is not twice as much work as having a singleton... it is FOUR times as much work as a singleton. I am pointing all this out, trying to be brutally honest. Now, I am absolutely the happy, proud mother of my healthy, adorable boy and girl, and almost never talk negatively about having twins because I think it's almost a form of self-loathing and it's not healthy. BUT...

it drives me bananas when women fantasize about having twins when they don't know what in the world that means. If you've truly done your research and want twins, then I wish you all the blessings in the world. Some good books to start with: When You're Expecting Twins, Triplets, or Quads by Barbara Luke - this books is fabulous. And Mothering Multiples by Karen Gromada - terrific for how to mother twins, including breastfeeding and overcoming developmental delays and/or prematurity when nursing.

[edited to add book names]
#5 of 12 Old 02-18-2004, 11:01 PM

Have lots of children first, grand multiparas are more likely to have twins.
Get old. Older mothers are more likely to conceive twins.
Find a partner who has identical twins in his family

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#6 of 12 Old 02-18-2004, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Find a partner who has identical twins in his family
This will not change a woman's chance of conceiving twins. Identical twins do not run in families. Identical twinning occurs as an accident (albeit happy one for some!) of nature. It never runs in families.

Furthermore, just for the record... a woman's chance of conceiving fraternal twins has nothing to do with a history of twins on her dp's side of the family. Think about it... how would your partner's genes have ANY way of impacting how many eggs YOU release at ovulation??!!

And another myth is that the tendency to have twins skips a generation. Take it from me... I have twins and my next closest relative who had twins was my great-grandmother!! The "twin gene" is only the propensity to ovulate more than one egg at a time.
#7 of 12 Old 02-18-2004, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TwinMommy
Identical twinning occurs as an accident (albeit happy one for some!) of nature. It never runs in families.
Well, my genetics texts state that it does, but it looks like population studies of actual humans show that it doesn't. I would think that it could, if there were a defect in early patterning genes. But I can't argue with population studies. Very interesting.

#8 of 12 Old 02-19-2004, 12:30 AM

I haven't really done any research on this topic, though I know 2 families that are chock full of multiple births (without fertility drugs of any kind) I had a friend, some time ago who had identical twins with his wife. HIS mother also had twins (he was one of the pair) and he had twin cousins as well.

The second family seemed to have a propensity for multiple births on the woman's side, as she had triplets (on her first try, by accident, immediately after being married) and her sister later had twins. Her grandmother also had twins before them. (all the children mentioned in this family were of the fraternal variety)

Just my 2 cents on the subject... It's a heck of a coincidence if it doesn't have genetic roots.
#9 of 12 Old 02-19-2004, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gristastic
Just my 2 cents on the subject... It's a heck of a coincidence if it doesn't have genetic roots.
Fraternal twinning can be passed down, just not (apparently) identical twinning.
I hate to say it, but triplets would probably kill me. I'm sure I'd find a way, but YIKES!
I went to school with three triplet sisters. A set of identical twins and a fraternal sister. What are the chances of having both fraternal AND identical twins? And their mother had another child, younger. That takes guts, I tell you!

#10 of 12 Old 02-19-2004, 02:44 AM

eat lots and lots of yams. There is a culture (S. Amer I think) that eats tons of yams and they have a very high rate of multis

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#11 of 12 Old 02-19-2004, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Apricot
Fraternal twinning can be passed down, just not (apparently) identical twinning.
I hate to say it, but triplets would probably kill me. I'm sure I'd find a way, but YIKES!
I went to school with three triplet sisters. A set of identical twins and a fraternal sister. What are the chances of having both fraternal AND identical twins? And their mother had another child, younger. That takes guts, I tell you!
I wonder if the fraternal sister felt left out? Just something I'll think about when I think at all...
#12 of 12 Old 02-19-2004, 04:20 AM

Nah. Everyone thought they were identical. I can't say for sure, I don't think their personal loyalties went along the identical / fraternal split.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page