My BBT dropped yesterday, but still no AF. What does it mean? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-03-2009, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,

I'm new here and have a question I hope you can help me with. My husband and I started trying to get pregnant last month. I've been using a NFP chart to determine my fertile days, etc. For the last three months (since I started taking Vitex and drinking red clover tea to boost my fertility), my cycle has been 26 days and AF always arrived the day my BBT dropped below 98.0. I'm on day 30 of my cycle now. My BBT dropped yesterday, but no AF. I've been mildly crampy for several days and assumed, disappointedly, that I was simply premenstrual. Usually my breasts are sore from the time I ovulate until AF. They aren't sore at all this time, though. And, as I said, still no AF. I don't know what to think.

My understanding is that once you're pregnant, your BBT stays high and does not drop.

Any ideas?
#2 of 6 Old 11-03-2009, 05:18 PM

Did you O this month? What's your usual luteal phase (number of days from O date until AF arrives)? How much did your temp drop? Have you taken a pregnancy test?
#3 of 6 Old 11-03-2009, 05:28 PM

Your temp can dip if you are pg. So of course my first question is...have you tested yet?

#1 stork-boy.gif born after IVF.

#4 of 6 Old 11-03-2009, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't taken a pregnancy test yet because I thought the mild cramping was premenstrual and meant AF was coming. According to my NFP charts, ovulation usually occurs on day 16 and AF arrives 11 days later when my temp drops below 98.0 (26-day cycle). This is day 30. According to my chart, I ovulated on day 16. My temp on days 23-28 was 98.4 every day. Yesterday it dropped to 97.7 and today it was 97.8. I'm still fairly constantly mildly crampy, but no AF.
#5 of 6 Old 11-03-2009, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
That doesn't sound like a huge drop to me. How low was your BBT before you ovulated?

Also keep in mind that other factors can affect your BBT. A colder room can make for a slightly lower temp in the morning. Having a stuffy nose, and breathing through your mouth overnight, can make your temp lower in the morning (if you take your temp orally.) Thermometers can even malfunction.

I just thought of something else. Taking your temperature at a different time of day can also affect the reading. With the end of Daylight Savings Time, you might be effectively taking your temperature an hour later than you used to. That alone can explain everything (ie: your temperature didn't REALLY drop and you're probably pg.)

Even if you are pg, it's still very early and an HPT might give you a false negative. If you POAS (pee on a stick) and it's negative, and your period still doesn't come, dont' despair- just POAS again in about a week.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#6 of 6 Old 11-03-2009, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

The day before I ovulated my temp was 97.4 (every month I charted). Usually from day 1 until I ovulate, my temp varies between 97.3 and 97.7.

I guess if AF doesn't arrive by friday, I'll try a HPT. Is there one particular brand that is more accurate than the others?

And, if I am pg, is the mild cramping normal? It's roughly the same intensity as the cramping I get when I'm pms-ing and sometimes when I ovulate.

This is all new to me, so I really appreciate all of your advice and comments.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page