Progesterone 7dpo is 10.4? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-19-2009, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can I get/be pregnant with a number like that? Last month I ovulated and only had a 4. So this is better - but still seems on the low side right? If I am pregnant - will I need to supplement?

Oh and Im also quite pissed to find out that the baby I lost last year - I spotted for a week before we lost him - and you know what!? Thye never ONCE in all those blood works checked my progesterone. WTF???

Loving Mother to our adoption miracle, Riana :, and our angel baby, Xavier. Trying for baby. Wife to my Hero! BLOG LINK IN PROFILE
#2 of 13 Old 11-19-2009, 08:42 PM

7dpo its very possible to not have implanted yet. So you wouldnt see any difference.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#3 of 13 Old 11-19-2009, 08:45 PM

how frustrating that they NEVER checked for that.

from this site:

Quote:
Hormone: Progesterone (P4)
Time to Test: 7 dpo
Normal Values: > 15 ng/m
What Value Means: A progesterone test is done to confirm ovulation. When a follicle releases its egg, it becomes what is called a corpus luteum and produces progesterone. A level over 5 probably indicates some form of ovulation, but most doctors want to see a level over 10 on a natural cycle, and a level over 15 on a medicated cycle. There is no mid-luteal level that predicts pregnancy. Some say the test may be more accurate if done first thing in the morning after fasting.
so yeah, it sounds like it's not predictive of pregnancy, so someone with a 10.4 might be pregnant and someone else might not be. and yeah, you might not even have implanted yet, so who knows?

it sounds like you definitely ovulated a normal-sized egg this time, if a level over 5 means ovulation and you got a 4 last time! i know it says they look for over 15 in a medicated cycle, but if 10 will do it for a natural cycle then i say you can definitely get/be pregnant with that!

fuzmalesling.giffemalesling2.GIF mama to my spunky little girl, m, born 12/10/07 blahblah.gif, and my sweet little guy, k, born 10/27/10 babyf.gif
nocirc.gif familybed2.gif cd.gif homebirth.jpg nak.gif
#4 of 13 Old 11-19-2009, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies - I so just wanted to cry when she said that number. I should be thankful to have released a normal sized egg for once!

Mae - so the number will go up after implantation then? So if I get a positive test soon - then should I go back in for numbers again to make sure that it did indeed rise?
Im so worried and have all of a sudden lost confidence in this office treating me if they didn't bother to check that whole time my progesterone levels when I spotted for a week with a living baby before passing him!

Loving Mother to our adoption miracle, Riana :, and our angel baby, Xavier. Trying for baby. Wife to my Hero! BLOG LINK IN PROFILE
#5 of 13 Old 11-19-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_Mother View Post
Mae - so the number will go up after implantation then? So if I get a positive test soon - then should I go back in for numbers again to make sure that it did indeed rise?
not mae, obviously, but from this link again (this site is pretty informative btw!):

Quote:
Progesterone in Pregnancy
When: Mid-Luteal Phase
Normal Values: 5+ ng/ml
What Level Means: As mentioned above, a level of 5 indicates some kind of ovulatory activity, though most doctors want to see a level over 10 on unmedicated cycles, and over 15 with medications. There is no mid-luteal level that predicts pregnancy.

When: First Trimester
Normal Values: 10-90 ng/ml
What Level Means: Average is about 20 at 4 weeks LMP, and 40 at 14 weeks LMP. It is important to note that while a higher progesterone level corresponds with higher pregnancy success rates, one cannot fully predict outcome based on progesterone levels. Progesterone supplementation is unlikely to help if started after a positive pregnancy test.
so yeah, it sounds like if you could have a normal pregnancy with a level of 10 in the first trimester, and it's not REALLY predictive anyway, that value won't necessarily be as useful. you know it's not too low to sustain a pregnancy, and if it was then they'd have you starting the progesterone NOW. but it sounds like the level you're at now, at a mere 7 dpo, is reasonable for getting and staying pregnant. even if it seems on the low side, it is not abnormally so, especially if 20 is average for 14 dpo. if 20 is average, obviously some values are going to be lower and some higher, so based on that i don't think 10 at 7 dpo counts you out by any means.

really, what's going to matter more once you get that BFP than your progesterone level is your HCG level.

and yeah, it says that once you're already pregnant progesterone isn't likely to help, so maybe that is why they didn't test for it? if you were low on progesterone and they wanted to supplement, they would start it immediately after O. if this cycle doesn't work out - and i hope it does! - you can talk about trying that next cycle.

fuzmalesling.giffemalesling2.GIF mama to my spunky little girl, m, born 12/10/07 blahblah.gif, and my sweet little guy, k, born 10/27/10 babyf.gif
#6 of 13 Old 11-19-2009, 09:59 PM

also, from here:

Quote:
What are normal progesterone levels?
Sometimes doctors will check a woman's progesterone level during pregnancy. Most doctors like to see a minimum level of 10 ng/ml during the first few weeks of pregnancy.

#7 of 13 Old 11-19-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Can I get/be pregnant with a number like that? Last month I ovulated and only had a 4. So this is better - but still seems on the low side right? If I am pregnant - will I need to supplement?

Oh and Im also quite pissed to find out that the baby I lost last year - I spotted for a week before we lost him - and you know what!? Thye never ONCE in all those blood works checked my progesterone. WTF???
An RE likes to see 10 or more on 7dpo, so you are right in line with that. Also, once you started spotting with baby last year, checking your progestrone and adding more wouldn't have made a difference at that point. You would have had to be on it the whole time for it to help in any way at all. I'm sorry mama!!

I do hope this is it for you!!!!

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

#8 of 13 Old 11-19-2009, 10:42 PM

My RE says anything over 10 is good. So I think you're fine with that number. I once had my number be over 40 and that cycle didnt result in a pregnancy. So I think it just depends...

Good luck!

After trying for over 10yrs our bundle of joy was born on 8/5/10 4lbs 7oz ~Brayden Kelley Ray~Such a miracle~Stole our Hearts~ Gods timing isnt our timing, but His timing is perfect~~
#9 of 13 Old 11-19-2009, 11:13 PM

Dont feel I need to add anything YYYM handled that perfectly

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#10 of 13 Old 11-19-2009, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies for calming me a little. It's so silly but as "DONT MEDICATE ME!" as I am - since progesterone doesn't HURT the baby I am totaly okay with them giving it to me if for no other reason than to shut me up. Ya know.
BTW - Im super emotional right now because yesterday was one year since I lost Xavier....and I totally forgot till tonight. I suck.......

#11 of 13 Old 11-20-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
Dont feel I need to add anything YYYM handled that perfectly
awww yeah. (yay, an excuse to use this smiley!)

Quote:
BTW - Im super emotional right now because yesterday was one year since I lost Xavier....and I totally forgot till tonight. I suck.......
not realizing that it was the anniversary doesn't make you suck at all, and neither does feeling emotional about it now that you did realize it. you've been through a lot, and you so don't need to beat yourself up for it. simply remembering or forgetting the anniversary doesn't change how you felt about the loss.

!!!

#12 of 13 Old 11-20-2009, 12:27 AM

I try to forget mine. February 17th, 2 months to the day after I found out I was pregnant... and 6 months to the day before I was due. August 17th is also hard as that was my due date. And December 17th as thats the date I found out I was pregnant. Really, 17 is a bad number for me..

(If you do the math, that was 14 weeks into the pregnancy, but I found out I was going to miscarry at 13 weeks, Feb 11th... so that is why I count the pregnancy 13 weeks though the miscarriage physically happened at 14)

#13 of 13 Old 11-20-2009, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah - I just feel guilty about not remembering. Gosh...**sigh**

Lets hope my overly emotional-ness, my starvation, my nausea, my headaches, my dizziness, are all pregnancy signs and not some stupid special PMS thing...
Though honestly last time anyway, I didn't get nausea until later on in my pregnancy and alll....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page