Difference between normal spotting in early pregnancy and early miscarriage - UPDATED - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-02-2009, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I'm posting for my sister who is about 6 1/2 weeks pregnant (possibly). She has bright red bleeding for 2 days, no clotting or cramping, just bleeding. Then it stopped for a day and she is having light bleeding again today. Still no cramping or clotting. She's in a different country, so getting an ultrasound will take a few days, and she's scheduled to fly out of the country for Christmas vacation before she can get in. So.....obviously time will tell, but can anyone share their experiences with either early spotting/subchorionic hemorrhage or early miscarriage. Anyone want to take a guess?

Andrea...wife, SAHM to 3.5 yo DS and 1 yo DD.

#2 of 9 Old 12-03-2009, 12:05 AM

My miscarriage started out as spotting, light pink. Then it progressed to red bleeding for a couple of days. It turned into clots and cramping after that. It is really hard to say for sure but most likely, I would think it is an early miscarriage, though lots of women say that they had bleeding and bore healthy babies.

I wish her the best and hope it is nothing to be concerned about.
#3 of 9 Old 12-03-2009, 12:29 AM

It could go either way. Something like 30% of pregnant people who go on to have successful pregnancies and give birth to babies report bleeding in the first trimester.

Really, the only way to tell is ultrasound...the difference between an early miscarriage and other bleeding is that in the former, the baby is gone and not in the latter.

It could also be vanishing twin, where one twin is miscarried and the other is not. Time will tell, and I hope it works out the way she hopes.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#4 of 9 Old 12-03-2009, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtMPapa View Post
Really, the only way to tell is ultrasound...the difference between an early miscarriage and other bleeding is that in the former, the baby is gone and not in the latter.
Yeah...that's what we were thinking. I just wasn't sure how often miscarriages have neither cramping nor clotting.

She wasn't trying, and wanted her kids spaced a little further apart (they would be 25 months), but is fine if she's pregnant too.

#5 of 9 Old 12-03-2009, 02:14 PM

Bright red blood is a concern...I had bright red spotting with DS#1 and my Dr was concerned...his office didn't do U/S everyday but he was worried enough to have me go to an OB he worked with. I had an U/S that didn't help much diagnostically speaking (I'm against transvaginal U/S's in early pregnancy but didn't know better back then) and ordered to rest and abstain from sex. I followed orders and everything was fine.

Also, she doesn't have to have al U/S. A blood test will show if her hCG levels are on par with where they should be and whether or not they're doubling like they should.

Best wishes for your sister. And you hang in there Auntie!

Super crunchy Mama to DS1, DS2, DD and wanting a bunch more!  We homeschool, bed share, homebirth and baby wear. We're attached, we only cloth diaper and we don't vax. There's a lot more to us than that, but it won't all fit. 

#6 of 9 Old 12-03-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellamia View Post
Bright red blood is a concern...I had bright red spotting with DS#1 and my Dr was concerned...his office didn't do U/S everyday but he was worried enough to have me go to an OB he worked with. I had an U/S that didn't help much diagnostically speaking (I'm against transvaginal U/S's in early pregnancy but didn't know better back then) and ordered to rest and abstain from sex. I followed orders and everything was fine.

Could someone get her baby aspirin? It's supposed to help blood clotting and can possibly help in very early stages of M/C.

Best wishes for your sister.
It doesnt help to clot blood, it helps to thin it to prevent clotting. And it doesn't help in early stages of M/C it helps prevent M/C by women with clotting disorders.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#7 of 9 Old 12-14-2009, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

In case anyone is curious, she's pregnant. She has a subchorionic hematoma. I predicted this from a few thousand miles away and her DOCTOR was talking about a D&C with her! I'm horrified!! Obviously she was smart enough to wait it out. I'm posting this in case it's helpful to anyone else. She bled so much in about 20 minutes that she bled through an enormous pad, her clothes, and onto the chair she was sitting on. SCH can cause a LOT of bleeding. Doesn't automatically mean a miscarriage!

#8 of 9 Old 12-14-2009, 06:25 PM

I was curious. I am really glad to hear that it was SCH, not that is a good thing to have but better than a MC. Thanks for the update.
#9 of 9 Old 12-15-2009, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellamia View Post
(I'm against transvaginal U/S's in early pregnancy but didn't know better back then)
on a side note, can i ask why your against these?

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page