Mothering Forum banner

Patience is running thin

477 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  lifeguard 
#1 ·
My husband and I have been TTC for about a year now. In July I found out I had Pollycystic Ovary Syndrome. My doctor started me on metformin--a diabetic medicine used to treat this. In October she started me on clomid. Just this month, she upped my dose of clomid. I guess my question is this:

Has anyone else been on clomid, and how long did it take for you to get pregnant since starting it?

I guess my patience is just running thin these days. It feels I'm so obsessed with TTC my mind doesn't want to think about anything else. We want a child so bad, but are having a hard time getting pregnant...it makes me almost want to give up.

Any advice???

#3 ·
I have PCOS and clomid worked for me the first try with my first. I was on it for 6 months ttc my third and I had to stop because it was giving me migrains but not making me O. I went to injectables and after several cycles became pregnant with my third. I thought the injectables were much easier to handle. Unfortunatly a lot of fertility treatment is trial & error to see what will work for you. Good luck!

#4 ·
I'm sorry it's taking so long. The TTC rollercoaster is hard enough without the stress of PCOS. I have it too. You should read up on Clomid. My RE refuses to prescribe it to her PCOS patients for two reasons, 1) she says it thins the uterine lining resulting in increased chance of miscarriage and 2) studies have shown that it often doesn't work well with women suffering from PCOS. Instead, she prescribes Femara, which THICKENS the uterine lining, and does not have as high an incidence of multiples. It is dangerous to take it during pregnancy- resulting in birth defects, but since you only take it CD3-7 it's wayyyy out of your system by the time you O.

You may want to talk to your doc about that, or find a more pro-active RE. I find that the ones that use one course of treatment for 6 months just do it because they don't feel like being pro-active or suggesting alternative courses of treatment, or they just don't keep up with the research. In addition to MDC I'm an active member of soulcysters.com. They have A LOT of info on PCOS, and treatments etc. I guess I would start there for answers. They even have specific threads for women with PCOS on Clomid. Great site for more specific PCOS type stuff. Good luck mama- hope you get that BFP really really soon!!!

#5 ·
I have pcos as well. For ds I took 1000mg of metformin for 7 months, then upped it to 1500mg for the next 5 months. During that time I also lost 70lbs (through diet & exercise, the metformin did nothing for my weight). After a year on metformin I was just starting to see my cycles becoming more normal & conceived our first cycle on clomid (50mg).

Have you made any lifestyle changes to help your body deal with the pcos symptoms? I strongly feel the exercise & diet changes I made were VERY instrumental in us finally conceiving ds.

#6 ·
Thanks ladies for your support and advice.

Lifeguard...I am currently taking 1000mg of metformin daily, and the clomid was just recently upped from 4 pills to 5. As far as lifestyle changes. I was and still am dieting and exercising. I have been on Weight Watchers for about 1 1/2 years. Weight is coming off, but it's VERY slow.

I'm crossing my fingers that something will happen soon. Sometimes it's the waiting that's the hardest. I'm one of those crazy people who wants immediate results. I guess I really need to learn patience.

#7 ·
Weight loss does tend to be painfully slow with pcos. I never had much luck with weight watchers myself. I have found that I do need to keep to a pretty low carb diet to lose weight. I try to focus on veggies & proteins.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.