Question about vitex and soy isoflavones - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-02-2010, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi!

I have been trying to conceive for a while now and this was my second cycle on vitex. I am not really sure if it has done anything for me and am wanting to try adding in the soy isoflavone thing. I plan on taking it for cycle days 2-6 or 3-7 (can't really determine which is better) but I would like to also continue to take the vitex. I know that you cannot/should not take vitex and clomid together due to their counteractive effects, but can I start it after I am done with the soy isoflavones, like on day 8? Does anyone have any experience or advice about this? I cannot find any information that talks about taking the two of them at different times during the month.

Thanks so much!!
#2 of 9 Old 01-02-2010, 10:11 AM

I was taking vitex for about 10 months and I just stopped this last cycle and started on soy isoflavins. I contemplated continuing with the vitex but thought I would give myself a break.

I did tons of research and have discovered that you can take soy CD 1-5 , 3-7 or 5-9 but you must NOT take vitex on the 5 days of your cycle that you choose to take the SI.

You may resume the vitex on all the other days of your cycle that you are not taking the soy.

Dee: Mommy to a 2 y/o boy, expecting a in July and married to my .
#3 of 9 Old 01-02-2010, 11:54 AM

Ive personally seen a lot of conflicting info on soy isoflavones and personally would not take them at all... especially for the risk of functioning cysts and having seen several women develop them after taking the soy.

Vitex, however, I have noticed can take a few months to work... so my advice is to give it a bit more time.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#4 of 9 Old 01-13-2010, 11:48 PM
shy

how are you taking the vitex? whole berry, berry powder, or some other form?

do you take it every day or only during certain days / phases of the cycle?

mama to (age 6), 12/09 9/09 4/10 for someday.
#5 of 9 Old 01-15-2010, 02:21 PM
shy

still mulling over whether I shoudl start vitex. I think maca and royal jelly may be enough and I dont want to go overboard. So much conflicting info on vitex. I wish I could figure out whether it was what I need ...

anyway ... anyone have an answer on what form to take the vitex? whole berry, berry powder, or some other form?
thanks!

#6 of 9 Old 01-15-2010, 02:57 PM

Shy I took vitex for about a year in pill form with great results (Planetary Formulas brand which has a mix of plant and berry) I just followed the dosage on the bottle.

I wouldn't recommend it if you have a somewhat regular cycle or are ovulating on your own.

I turned to vitex as a last resort when prescription meds did not help me regulate my 45 day cycles with three week long heavy bleeding. It made the bleeding stop immediately-I mean in a couple hours time. The regulation of my cycle did not happen til about three cycles but each cycle was an improvement from the last. It does take time to get into your system.

This being said, if you are not having signs of major hormone imbalance like I was then you may have more gentle and favorable results with the maca. Good luck!

Dee: Mommy to a 2 y/o boy, expecting a in July and married to my .
#7 of 9 Old 01-15-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
Ive personally seen a lot of conflicting info on soy isoflavones and personally would not take them at all... especially for the risk of functioning cysts and having seen several women develop them after taking the soy.

Vitex, however, I have noticed can take a few months to work... so my advice is to give it a bit more time.
Agreed. I took soy and it delayed O by over a week and it really whacked out all my signs. Usually my temp rise, opk's and cm match up, but not on soy. I'd wait out on this one.

trekkie.gifStudent Mama to:  C reading.gif  (9yrs old), R blahblah.gif (5yrs old), F  hammer.gif (3yrs old) and TTC baby.gif #4 since April 2009

#8 of 9 Old 01-15-2010, 04:07 PM

Another vote for caution when it comes to soy isoflavones...for the same reasons listed above.

I took vitex in capsules with babes 1&2, and they took months to regulate me (about 3-4). Give it another month or two.
#9 of 9 Old 01-15-2010, 10:52 PM
shy

Quote:
I wouldn't recommend it if you have a somewhat regular cycle or are ovulating on your own.
I only just started charting but I don't doubt that I am ovulating. Concerned that my cycles are short and vary from 23-26 days. I am suspecting low progesterone. Since the "progesterone test is unreliable" according to my doctor and according to Maeryn, I am just trying to do what I can for hormonal balance. I have just started royal jelly, am taking extra B complex until I can get to the store to buy some B6, and am planning to take maca. I am also reading the Infertility Cure to see what recommendations I get from there. The vitex just seems like it can do more than just help bring about balance.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page