Avoid WONDFO brand pregnancy tests! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 01-03-2010, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I purchased a big bunch of Wondfo tests off the internet. I highly discourage anyone from purchasing this brand. My BFF is 8 weeks pregnant and peed on one for me so that I could know where to look for an early positive. Her positive test took at least a minute to come up and it was faint and didn't make a complete line. I did a search for what Wondfo's looked like on the internet when positive and didn't come up with anything. They stink for getting confirmation of a pregnancy!

Happy New Year Y'all!
Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

#2 of 29 Old 01-03-2010, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenne View Post
I purchased a big bunch of Wondfo tests off the internet. I highly discourage anyone from purchasing this brand. My BFF is 8 weeks pregnant and peed on one for me so that I could know where to look for an early positive. Her positive test took at least a minute to come up and it was faint and didn't make a complete line. I did a search for what Wondfo's looked like on the internet when positive and didn't come up with anything. They stink for getting confirmation of a pregnancy!

Happy New Year Y'all!
Jenne
thats what ive been using occasionally...i had a friend do the same thing and they worked just fine. they have a nice dark test & control line with her pee (shes 19wks) and nice stark white with mine (well its not "nice" to see a BFN but you kwim). do u want me to post pics? i did it last week but still have them.

nicole, wife & very blessed mom of 2 fun boys '03 & '05 & sweet girl '10. 2ndtri.gifDue 1-6-13 hbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#3 of 29 Old 01-03-2010, 02:12 AM

They work fine for me I got visible lines from 14DPO, and then at 6 weeks pg the test line was darker than the control.

Mum to Quinn, Aug 14th 2010
#4 of 29 Old 01-03-2010, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Huh. We also noticed that my tests are not all the same size. Maybe I have a "fake" batch of Wondfo's? Were y'all consistently the same size? I'm glad they worked for y'all! Error tests and unreliable tests really just turn TTC from fun and games into a bad situation.

Jenne

02/11/2011   

#5 of 29 Old 01-03-2010, 11:14 AM

I got my Wondfos from eBay and was pleased with them. Of course, when they were negative I thought they sucked and followed up with a FRER, which must have broken because it was negative, too.

Then the next month... on 10dpo... I saw the faintest of lines on a Wondfo and followed it up with a working FRER.

Maybe you did get a bad batch? I'm sorry they are not working out for you. That is beyond frustrating!

Catholic homeschooling mom of two daughters and four sons... baby Mark born on 8/27/10. Kidney Disease Awareness
#6 of 29 Old 01-03-2010, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, it's not that they aren't working for me...it was that they didn't work WELL for my BFF who is 9 weeks. I wish I had though to take pictures...

Jenne

02/11/2011   

#7 of 29 Old 01-03-2010, 03:58 PM

Has she had her hcg beta recently? Do other test work well for her at this point? There is certainly always bad batches, sorry for humming of your fun and games, no one deserves that!

Quote:
followed up with a FRER, which must have broken because it was negative, too.
ok that the best opinon about a negative test ever! Hehehehehehe

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#8 of 29 Old 01-03-2010, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Her first beta was something like 1,678...and the other tests she has been using (daily!) turn almost immediately positive. The complaint was mostly about the poor quality of the line. To the extent that she took a second test just to make sure because it made her nervous.

It's okay, I just didn't want someone who was trying to get a positive for the first time to be put off or not see a true positive because of the test quality...

Jenne

02/11/2011   

#9 of 29 Old 01-03-2010, 11:23 PM

I had some Wondfos with DD, the OPKs work great but the others do take a little bit to get a good line. I wouldn't call them insanely sensitive though. I stopped taking them at 31dpo or so (~7w) but they had good lines if left to sit for the full 10 minutes. Mine were all the same size and I got them off of ebay too - maybe you got a bad batch?

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#10 of 29 Old 08-17-2010, 10:26 AM

I just have to agree that I don't have a problem in getting a line with the wondfo test, what I have a problem is with the line not getting dark enough when I have had a very dark lines with others test. I'm 8 weeks as of today an the lines look faint compared to other test. That is just my two cents.
#11 of 29 Old 08-17-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPBLESSED View Post
I just have to agree that I don't have a problem in getting a line with the wondfo test, what I have a problem is with the line not getting dark enough when I have had a very dark lines with others test. I'm 8 weeks as of today an the lines look faint compared to other test. That is just my two cents.
Exactly--got a BFP at 9DPO but was totally freaking out because the lines weren't getting any darker. Took an Answer and the line was nice and dark. Took another Wondfo last night at 13 DPO and it was finally significantly darker--but there seems to be a lot of inconsistency within a batch.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#12 of 29 Old 08-17-2010, 11:40 AM

my wondfos from amazon picked up my bfp with a beta that day of 12. that's pretty darn good. are you sure they are really wondfos? i would call the company you bought them from and tell them you got a bad batch!

Every good and perfect gift is from above.
#13 of 29 Old 03-17-2012, 06:52 AM

Hello. I'm not a user of Wondfo but I just want to clarify that just like any other brand Wondfo is using ICT (ImmunoChromatographic Test) principle. Since the color band was so faint, it means that the HCG titer level of your BFF is low  since she was only 8 weeks pregnant. The color intensity of the band depends on the titer level of HCG. If you try to test the HCG level of your BFF after few months later, I'm pretty sure the result will be significantly dark color in the band. I hope I have helped you on this concern.

#14 of 29 Old 03-17-2012, 08:06 AM

There are a numerous factors for the faint line in the band. 1. Handling. Each product has a required storage temperature that has to be maintained up from the factory down to the user. 2. Factory Defect. There is no such thing as perfect product. 3. Batch Defect. 4. Expiry Date. Avoid using expired or nearly expiring product. It would do no good. 5. Wrong procedure. If the user or the technician fails to follow proper procedure, an absolute false or erroneous result is to be yielded. It is important to read the instruction before performing the test.

#15 of 29 Old 03-17-2012, 08:27 AM

I have heard some people give rave reviews for them, but I would NEVER buy Wondfo products again.  I bought a ton of their OPKs once, and used them for 3-4 cycles.  The control lines barely even showed up, let alone another line, yet I would get CLEAR POSITIVES on the Clearblue Easy Digital OPKs.  The whole package were a bunch of duds. FWIW I bought them on Amazon.  Not sure if you'd have better luck with some on eBay, but I personally wouldn't purchase them again.

-
#16 of 29 Old 03-17-2012, 08:52 AM

after a certain time in pregnancy the HcG lowers significantly. I personally don't use cheapie because I always get evaps or false positives after the time limit.

Mama to DD(4) energy.gif&  DS baby.gif

#17 of 29 Old 04-06-2012, 04:07 AM

Okay, very important to read this...

I was 7 weeks pregnant and using them to test my HCG. (I was out of the country and couldn't do the regular blood tests or ultrasound.) they started getting lighter than weeks 5 and 6 and I freaked out. turns out these tests can't handle that much HCG - by then I was likely at 25k-50k. It's called a hook effect. You can google it. Not many people are aware of it.

Interestingly, I learned to dilute my urine - put about 1/4 inch in a cup, then watered it down, dumped out half, watered it down again until it looked like pure water and it came out VERY DARK. It seems to only be able to read so much HCG before it's overloaded. At 10 weeks, I could dilute it 50-100x and still get a dark line!

Wondfos are fantastic. I've used them for years. sadly, they seem to be disappearing off the market but I've been using other brands that are $.20 each or so from the internet and they work just as well.

Hope that clears up why the 8 weeks were coming out light. And HCG peaks at about 10-12 weeks and then starts to drop but even after that, you will likely have to dilute it a lot to get an accurate DARK positive.

I've heard where women 4-6 months along were getting negatives from too much HCG.

lovestolearn likes this.
#18 of 29 Old 06-02-2012, 07:35 PM

My friend took used one since I had some and it turned up positive. We didn't even know she was pregnant! Shes 5 weeks today. We even confirmed with a first response and a new choice test.

#19 of 29 Old 06-06-2012, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

30 weeks along with my Wofondo pregnancy. If you TTC for a long time and are going to be peeing on LOTS of tests, it's definitely good to have the internet cheapies!

Most people get a faint line with the ICs and do their true "confirmation" with a digital or FRER.

Here's my wofondo BFP

ecstatic about BFP #2 after another round of Clomid,
TWINS!
EDD 2/15/2015
thrilled to welcome #1 after 17 months of ttc, 1 round of Clomid

DS LG  08/03/12
#20 of 29 Old 06-08-2012, 02:49 PM

To the peeps saying they're not coming in clear at 8-9 weeks + your HCG levels actually drop right around this time as other pregnancy hormones take over.  Just as an FYI.  I got a super faint line yesterday, followed it up with 2 other FR HPTs and they were faint too, but def there. Going to test again tomorrow (the day before my expected cycle to start .... yes yes I"m THAT impatient! lol) and hope for a darker line.  Best of luck all!  And don't forget to enjoy the moment during the TTC phase! 

#21 of 29 Old 03-05-2013, 01:45 PM

I have 8 kids, my youngest is 6 months old. I have always used Wondfo, as I have found them to be the most sensitive test and most accurate. 

NuzzleNudge likes this.
#22 of 29 Old 03-18-2013, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Just wanted to chime in with my Wondfo experiences. During my last clinical pregnancy, I used Wondfos and got a light but definitely visible line at 12dpo -- had a beta the next day and my HCG was 17, so it picked it up at a very low level. I actually also tested at 8dpo and 10dpo and had super light lines on those days as well but wrote them off. I continued testing until my HCG was at about 12,000 and it continued to get darker. I noticed it didn't get as dark as the control line until my HCG was in the hundreds, though.

Since that pregnancy, I've had Wondfos pick up several chemical pregnancies, too. They do seem very sensitive.

But! Here's something weird. An RE told me that he suspected some of my "chemical pregnancies" were actually LH surges being picked up by the HPTs. I honestly thought the man had no idea what he was talking about... I'd heard about OPKs picking up HCG, but not HPTs picking up LH. So I decided to test his theory... the next time I knew I was having an LH surge, I tested with a Wondfo HPT. Sure enough, I got a light positive, on 3 separate tests. I tested again after my LH surge was over, and the HPTs were negative.

So there you go. Wondfos are great at picking up low levels of HCG... and also high levels of LH!

NuzzleNudge likes this.

treehugger.gif Mama to 1 lovely DD,  angel1.gif 1/12 @ 8 weeks (ectopic), angel1.gif 1/14 @ 7 weeks, many chemical pregnancies, TTC DH'S #1, my #2
#23 of 29 Old 10-01-2013, 08:36 AM

I have kept getting faint positive over a period of one year, think i'm maybe preg but period comes and all imaging (including ultrasound, ct scan and mri and blood tests are negative...so a few months ago i started testing using the wondfo brand HCG test strips along with the LH surge it totally occured with the LH surge and HCG was negative again as soon as the LH surge was over. Very interesting, I think so one needs to research this.  But if you think about it it kinda can make sense.  LH has 80% the same chemical makeup as HCG.  I think most of us are aware that there are alot of HCG varients and many that aren't even know of yet (explains why some women never test positive on blood or urine despite being pregnant there is pretty new research on this out in march 2013 and proves that even blood hcg can be false negative due to these varients)...so why is it not possible that some women may also produce some LH varients which may make it similar enough in chemical structure to bind to the HCG test strips?  I haven't tried it with other brands due to cost but definately had false positive with the other brands over that prior year of testing....

#24 of 29 Old 10-01-2013, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenne View Post

Happy New Year Y'all!
Jenne

Actually, this is why they are "early" pregnancy tests. There's a phenomenon where very high levels of hCG will cause tests to turn negative. It doesn't mean the test is defective. I know this is a really old thread but (for the sake of passing on information) if she were to dilute her urine with water, I'm sure it would have come up nice and dark. Its called the "hook effect".

NuzzleNudge likes this.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#25 of 29 Old 10-01-2013, 08:54 AM

When I was about 8 weeks pregnant with my son (who is now 5 years old) I switched doctors and they had me take another pregnancy test as a formality (this was after I had an ultrasound the week before at another office and two BFP's.) Well, the pregnancy test at 8 weeks turned out negative! The worst part is that this new doctor came in and told me that I had lost my baby!! They had me sign some release form and I was in tears with disbelief. I begged them to do an ultrasound to see what had happened. Reluctantly, she agreed to "check it out" and with a look of shock she said, "Huh, I don't know what happened, but there is a baby in there." That day was such an emotional roller-coaster, you can't imagine. So I guess the moral of the story is that none of these test are error proof...

surf.gif31 year-old mom with an endlessly active five-year-old boy jog.gif (6/3/08)  waterbirth.jpg  delayedvax.gif

Expecting a baby girlbabyf.gif with my husband and amazing step-dad to DS, June 2014.  stork-girl.gif 

#26 of 29 Old 10-01-2013, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote: http://www.pregnancylab.net/2011/05/false-negative-pregnancy-tests.html

4) Finally, the other reason for false negatives was only

recently described and is referred to as the "variant hook effect." This is much more common than the hook effect. As pregnancy progresses, there are actually different variant forms of hCG that begin to appear in the urine. After about 5 weeks of pregnancy (i.e. 3 weeks after the expected period) concentrations of hCG beta core fragment are higher than all other forms of hCG. This is perfectly normal. Unfortunately, the concentration of hCG beta core fragment can saturate one of the antibodies used in the assay in certain pregnancy kits, and the other antibody doesn't recognize the beta core fragment. As a result, no sandwich forms and the test is read as a negative. The farther in pregnancy a woman is, the more likely that this false negative will occur. Similar to the hook effect, the variant hook effect can be confirmed if testing shows a positive result after diluting the sample.

This is a more clinical version of the explanation.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#27 of 29 Old 11-02-2013, 11:32 AM

Location: Basking In the Chaos of 4 Small Children Who Call Me Mom

Here is my Pic Of all the Positives I got with Wondfo tests with my last pregnancy.

4 days away from my period I got the boldest, darkest 2nd line i have ever seen!!! I had a ton of tests at the time and so I played around with testing....I even used breast milk! (Yes the hormone is secreted in Breast milk. Faint positive still!) I dipped them in the toilet after I peed (Really diluted urine) Peed Directly on the stick (Forceful stream) They were all extremely positive.

As with any tests it is possible to get a bad batch, or use them incorrectly, (Too much humidity in the room, not dipping long enough, or too long...) Urine that is too dilute or drinking a lot of water can disrupt results.

Check out Countdown to pregnancy.com to see Pregnancy tests by brand, by result, by DPO. Upload and get votes on whether your test looks + or - I LOVE that site.

Click

Brittanyfly-by-nursing2.gif Wife to Cedricblowkiss.gif (heartbeat.gif4-9-05heartbeat.gif) Mommy to: Gideon Edmundsuperhero.gifG.E.M.(2-1-07)stillheart.gif

Miscarried Isabelle Aurora2ndtri.gif I.A.M. (12-12-08) Lorelei Ariahwool.gifL.A.M.(1-14-10)stillheart.gif  Youtube.com/user/murillomania

Tabitha Ivy Esperanza babyf.gifT.I.E.M.(7-17-11) My First h20homebirth.gif  stillheart.gifPhineas Alexander Lyric babyboy.gifP.A.L.M.(3-30-13) rainbow1284.gifuc.jpg

#28 of 29 Old 11-03-2013, 01:13 PM

You probably just got a bad batch. I sometimes get that with wondfo OPK's. 

#29 of 29 Old 11-17-2013, 02:59 AM

I had used Wondfro last year and thats how I found out I was pregnant. But I have heard of women getting bad batches. Maybe you should try a different brand to ease your mind. After Wondfro.....I followed up with a digital First Response which gave me another positive.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page