Progesterone Cream question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-03-2010, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mamas, what do you think it means if you are using natural progesterone cream to lengthen your LP, but you get your period around 7-8 dpo while still using the cream? I thougt that I would not start bleeding until I stopped using the cream (after waiting long enough to make sure I wasn't pg). Am I not using enough? I was using a good amount of it every morning. Or maybe it means the progesterone is not my issue? Any ideas? TIA!

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

#2 of 5 Old 01-03-2010, 04:02 PM

could be progesterone is not your issue (which is why you REALLY should be tested before using it)

could also be that your body is not soaking up the cream properly which is the other reason I suggest getting tested because then your doctor can put you on a suppository or gel which is MUCH more reliable.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#3 of 5 Old 01-03-2010, 04:46 PM

I used progesterone cream for several months on the advice of my Naturopath. Your period still comes...you don't have to stop using it in order to get your period. Theoretically it could lengthen your LP, but as Maeryn mentioned, that's why it's a good idea to get tested.

Andrea...wife, SAHM to 3.5 yo DS and 1 yo DD.

#4 of 5 Old 01-03-2010, 06:13 PM

Natural progesterone cream has helped a lot of women conceive. But quality AND quantity count! A lot of NPCs don't have enough progesterone per dose to be effective. I read up on it and there should be 30mgs of progesterone per gram. I did a lot of research and finally decided to go with ProgesterAll Natural Balancing Cream. I do a little less than 1/4 tsp, morning and night. it's also important to switch the area of the body you apply it each time (I'll put it on my chest in the AM and on my inner arm in the PM. So check for those things...how much USP progesterone is in each gram (or if they tell you per dose that's even easier)...use it morning and night and switch the area it's being applied to.

Also, because you're tandem nursing, you probably have a LOT of prolactin so your progesterone need may be higher than what a cream can give you... IF it's an option for you to have your levels tested, I would do it. It'd be very helpful to know!

TTC while nursing is such a unique and difficult thing. I'm in that boat and I know how frustrating it can be!

Good luck to you and please keep me posted!

Super crunchy Mama to DS1, DS2, DD and wanting a bunch more!  We homeschool, bed share, homebirth and baby wear. We're attached, we only cloth diaper and we don't vax. There's a lot more to us than that, but it won't all fit. 

#5 of 5 Old 01-04-2010, 07:17 PM

As the other ladies suggested it really is best to know for sure if you are Progesterone defficient. Have your doctor test you.

Transdermal application (through the skin) has been found to be one of the most effective ways to use natural progesterone. It is absorbed through the skin into the underlying fat which helps to slowly allow progesterone into the blood. This way of application helps the progesterone to be “time released” into the blood stream. To closely mimic the body’s progesterone cycle, it is best to use progesterone cream twice a day.

Natural progesterone cream is easily and quickly absorbed into the body through the skin (within seconds). So you can apply it essentially anywhere as long as you rotate locations of application.

The best areas for application are places that have capillary blood flow such as:
-Face
-Neck
-Upper Chest
-Breasts
-Inner arms
-Palms of hands and feet

When it comes to dosage, more is not better. Too much progesterone can cause hormonal imbalances, just like too little progesterone can. Dr. John Lee recommends a dosage of 15-30mg during the two weeks before your period.

Dr. Lee recommends that progesterone use begin directly after ovulation, which is usually day 12 in our cycles (twelve days after menstruation), and ending usage once menstruation begins. Once you become pregnant, stay on the progesterone.

This is a piece from an article which you can read at this link: http://natural-fertility-info.com/pr...ertility-guide

This article in titled "Progesterone Fertility Guide" and may help you understand progesterone supplementation better.

All the Best,

Dalene

Herbalist, CD Mother of 2 boys, age 11 and 9

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page