When you have EWCM - is it all day or in patches/gushes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-22-2010, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Hey there - Just wondering what is "normal" and looking for a little BD timing advice. I have lots of days of EWCM leading up to ovulation. About ten days, I know this is great and I'm really lucky. However, I only have it for about 2 hours in the afternoon. I am fairly dry most of the day, then I get a "gush" of textbook perfect EWCM around 4 pm and can detect plenty of it for about two hours then it dries up again. I check internally. I am like this from about cd12-cd22, the day I ovulate. Even the day before and the day of ovulation I am like this.

Is this typical or do you usually have EWCM all day on the days that you've got it?

And about BDing with this CM pattern - we usually DTD around 9 or 10 pm or occasionally in the afternoon on weekends when DS is napping. It is virtually impossible to do it between 4 and 6 or 7 pm when I have EWCM present. So I am fairly dry when we BD. It's not uncomfortable but I wonder if this makes it impossible for the swimmers to reach my cervix and onwards. Or is there actually plenty of EWCM in my cervix or othewise hiding where I just can't detect it? Should we try harder to BD during the "wet hours"?

Feel free to tell me that it is ridiculous to worry about this. I'm a micromanager and a perfectionist, can you tell?

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2010, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is this just what is visible coming out? Cuz likely that EWCM that "gushes" is jsut part of what is hanging out by the cervix...you just don't see it. If you check internally you may find it all day long? I have a gush usually when it is watery CM and not the EWCM. Otherwise it is usually just a "snotty" sensation when I wipe.

Jenn (36), wife to DH for 13 years, DD1(13) , DD2(10) and DS(4)

Old 01-22-2010, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

I check internally several times a day. Almost dry most of the time but VERY abundant (I think you could measure it in teaspoons!) in the late afternoon. I don't where it all goes because only a trace comes out on my undies.

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:40 PM

I worry about the same thing, too. I get EWCM in the mornings (usually after a BM) and nothing much the rest of the day. For that reason, and because I am a micro-manager as well as you, I bought preseed to use. I don't use it every time, but if I know it's a really good BD day, I'll use it.

#1 stork-boy.gif born after IVF.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:43 PM

first of all, remember preseed is NOTHING but a lubricant. You only need it if you would otherwise use other lubricants. It does nothing for EWCM... when they say it acts like it, they only mean it is as safe for sperm as EWCM is, while other lubricants may or may not be quite as safe.

secondly, all women will find more EWCM after they have a BM... its from the bearing down pushing it out of you. If you have it then, you always have it its just not leaking out of you. It doesnt have to leak out to be helpful, its much more useful when it stays up around and inside the cervix and uterus. It does not matter so much what is at the exit to the vagina as long as there is EWCM up inside of you (even if you cant find it yourself, it can be there!)

If you want to increase your EWCM I have one HUGE tip that will help

drink. more. water.

lots and lots and lots of water. it helps tremendously.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
first of all, remember preseed is NOTHING but a lubricant. You only need it if you would otherwise use other lubricants. It does nothing for EWCM... when they say it acts like it, they only mean it is as safe for sperm as EWCM is, while other lubricants may or may not be quite as safe.

secondly, all women will find more EWCM after they have a BM... its from the bearing down pushing it out of you. If you have it then, you always have it its just not leaking out of you. It doesnt have to leak out to be helpful, its much more useful when it stays up around and inside the cervix and uterus. It does not matter so much what is at the exit to the vagina as long as there is EWCM up inside of you (even if you cant find it yourself, it can be there!)

If you want to increase your EWCM I have one HUGE tip that will help

drink. more. water.

lots and lots and lots of water. it helps tremendously.
Interesting about the water! So when one first notices EWCM, start drinking and continue? Like how much are we talking?

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
Old 01-23-2010, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusmomma View Post
Interesting about the water! So when one first notices EWCM, start drinking and continue? Like how much are we talking?
you should be drinking water all through your cycle... its the best thing you can do for your body!

the amount I was told was take your weight in pounds, halve that number... and drink that many ounces or more of water per day. Someone my size... nearly a gallon of water. And Im quite large. And a gallon really is not THAT much if you work slowly at it throughout the day.

it doesnt HAVE to all be water, but if you are going to drink things other than water, stay away from caffeine (coffee, black tea) carbonation (any sort of soda) or large amounts of sugar (kool-aid, some juices but not all)

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

It's so true about water! I drink tons usually but I'm really fussy about it - I only like our tap water at home. When we travel, I don't drink nearly as much and I feel the difference. Haven't noticed the effect on CM but it makes sense!

Okay now to get back to my EWCM "schedule," , I do check internally and I am observing it around my cervix. If there is none around the outside of my cervix, does that also mean there's none up inside?

I guess there's no real way to know this stuff exactly and we're all different but I'm really obsessing about it this month.

I have also noticed that I have EWCM up until 2 days before I ovulate. It becomes watery and far less abundant the day before ovulation. It's still watery the day of ovulation and gone by the end of the day. I used to think that I was miscalculating my ovulation date but now after several cycles all exactly the same and using OPKs and temping, I know I'm not. I thought we were supposed to have EWCM right up till ovulation and that watery CM wasn't quite as fertile as EWCM... confused.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
I have heard a lot of anecdotal evidence that women with scant EWCM have conceived using preseed. I think a lot of women use it for conception, not just lubricant. Of course, I can't prove anything. However, I have also heard that people will use raw eggwhites to help them conceive (yeah, I'd rather not go there). So while I see your point, I think it can certainly be helpful in encouraging sperm to live longer in the vaginal canal and give them more of a chance of swimming where they need to go! Oh, and remember, there are two kinds of preseed. Lubricant for the external part of your vagina, and lubricant for internal (which you apply with a plunger). The external kind certainly does nothing more than lubricate, and won't help EWCM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessieBird View Post
I thought we were supposed to have EWCM right up till ovulation and that watery CM wasn't quite as fertile as EWCM... confused.
I think it can be totally normal to go to "watery" after EWCM, and then ovulate. While it's not quite as fertile, it still is (and some women only get watery). And those little swimmers can live in the stuff for up to five days!

#1 stork-boy.gif born after IVF.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurine View Post
I think it can be totally normal to go to "watery" after EWCM, and then ovulate. While it's not quite as fertile, it still is (and some women only get watery). And those little swimmers can live in the stuff for up to five days!
I get EWCM, and then it turns watery before O, and was also initially concerned about this. I read somewhere that watery CM is actually easier for sperm to swim in than EW, so I think the jury's still out on which one is "better." It doesn't matter - both are normal and fine.

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. ~Dylan Thomas

<3 LBM <3 AHM <3

User Tag List