How does poor sleep and getting up or talking before temping affect your bbt? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-28-2010, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
My bbt tends to be lower than expected if my sleep has been disrupted or I've talked or moved around for a few minutes before taking my temp. (I never get up or have full conversation but tossing and turning, nursing and whispering sometimes happen). Is that what you find too?

My temp took a nosedive below the coverline today, 5 dpo. I'm trying to tell myself that it's because of the reasons above but of course I'm worried about it. I've been known to have 6 day LPs. I'm nursing so can't worry about it too much but I had really gotten my hopes up this month.

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 01-28-2010, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Because Basal Body Temp refers to waking temp, you need to have just woken up and done nothing else.

If you know you talked, moved around, got poor sleep, etc. then you can note it on your chart. Maybe that will give you piece of mind?

Not TTC, but not-not TTC...if that makes any sense!
for guidance while fostering dogs!
#3 of 12 Old 01-28-2010, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Same for me....and mouth breathing. I've got a cold now so I can't help it. Uggghh...

Kris: "auntie" to W (7yrs)  and Z (5yrs)

→Waiting to start my own little family←
#4 of 12 Old 01-28-2010, 02:22 PM

Have you ladies thought about temping vaginally?

#5 of 12 Old 01-28-2010, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hi Ladies-

I just wanted to put this out there:

I know that most people say that if you have inconsistent sleep with frequent waking, etc. BBT may not be that clear...I chart anyway.

I have a 2.75 year old who wakes up 2x a night - (I am making generalizations here, it changes all the time...) The first time I get up and go into her bed, the next time she comes into our bed. She tosses and turns, so I don't sleep well with her... (but she's a mighty fine snuggler ) I end up rolling her, etc., occasionally talking, before I can get to my thermometer. I take my temp whenever it is we are waking up, which can vary as much as 2 hours.

Regardless, and taking my temp orally, I get a clear ovulation pattern !

So, even if you have kooky nights, you might have a fine pattern...

I AM lucky, however, as my cycles are very predictable, and one or 2 funny temps don't generally throw me off...

Mama to Little Beedust.gif born April 2007 -

Expecting a new little one in Mid-October, after 3 1/2 years TTC

#6 of 12 Old 01-28-2010, 03:11 PM

PP is so right. It's the overall pattern that matters the most!

#7 of 12 Old 01-28-2010, 03:14 PM

my waking temps were anywhere from 7am to 11am (depending on if it was a school day and how long my kids were up the night before)

there was a definite difference between the two... but not enough to throw my chart off.

I second tamping vaginally as well! SO much more reliable when you are mouth breathing, talking, getting a drink, etc. You do not have all of those variables working against your temp when you do it vaginally. But you must start at cd1 because it IS a higher temp (for most women) when you temp vaginally and that will throw your chart off if you start mid-cycle.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#8 of 12 Old 01-28-2010, 03:28 PM

I forgot to mention you need to wait to temp vaginally until a new cycle. But, you don't necessarily need to start on CD 1. I don't like temping vaginally during AF, so I don't start temping until CD 4 or 5, once I know she has left the building completely. But, I don't temp orally during that time, just not at all. The main point here is that you shouldn't have oral temps and vaginal temps on the same chart, it will be all screwy.

#9 of 12 Old 01-28-2010, 03:50 PM

Not to worry you, but I find that my temps go up when I've not had three hours of sleep (not down).

#1 stork-boy.gif born after IVF.

#10 of 12 Old 01-28-2010, 03:59 PM

My temps go up, as well, if I've talked or moved around or gotten up because I left the thermometer on another table....etc. I wonder why yours would go down instead of up when you do those things! Interesting!!!

Tara, mama to Addison (4/07) and brokenheart.gif 03/20/10, brokenheart.gif05/27/10, and our newest addition and  rainbow1284.gifbabygirl.gif Emerson Rae (4/27/11) uc.jpg, married to John

#11 of 12 Old 01-28-2010, 04:19 PM

Huh...come to think of it, mine go up too.

#12 of 12 Old 01-28-2010, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Thanks everyone!

This is my first month temping post partum, though 4th month charting all other signs. I expected my temps to be all over the place because of inconsistent waking times and having a cuddly toddler in bed. My situation is similar to yours, Jenger. But my temps are incredibly stable, check it out: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1de026
(There were more clear dots pre-ovulation due to varying temp time but I took them out because I liked the look of the nice solid dots - I know, crazy! - the temps were so stable anyway and it didn't affect my coverline.)

I'm thrilled that my chart so clearly shows ovulation and that temping even with a nursing toddler in bed is definitely worth it.

For some reason I feel weird about temping vaginally. I used to feel that way about checking my cervix too and I got over that though... If my charts stay this easy to read, I'll just stick to oral.

I'll try to forget about that 5dpo blight and go back to obsessing over some other meaningless detail in my life.

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page