Progesterone test - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-02-2010, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi

Can you tell me what you know about Progesterone test? I had a test yesterday at 8 dpo and they called in with my results today.

It was a 22. Is this good? What does this mean other than I can support a pregnancy?

Thanks!

2nd try was a charm! BFP EDD 10/17/10 Beta @ 12 dpo - 92 Beta @ 15 dpo - 902 - It's a GIRL - Olivia Grace 10/18/10 6lb 12 oz
#2 of 9 Old 02-02-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
Hi

Can you tell me what you know about Progesterone test? I had a test yesterday at 8 dpo and they called in with my results today.

It was a 22. Is this good? What does this mean other than I can support a pregnancy?

Thanks!
yes thats very good. Ideally they want it above 15. Ultimately over 10. So 22 is a very nice number.

Beyond that... it doesn't mean anything.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#3 of 9 Old 02-02-2010, 03:09 PM

That's a great number! Here is a page that shows what "ideal" hormone levels should be throughout a woman's cycle. http://www.fertilityplus.org/faq/hormonelevels.html

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
#4 of 9 Old 02-02-2010, 04:34 PM

I think that's very good. My doc's office seemed to think high numbers may sometimes indicate early pregnancy (but don't rely totally on that...) When do you test?

#1 stork-boy.gif born after IVF.

#5 of 9 Old 02-02-2010, 05:47 PM

I have a Progesterone test question too. Mine was 11.7 on Friday and 10 on Monday (4wks along). What does that indicate? terrible news? I'm trying to get a prescription called in. I'm already doing prog cream and wild yam. What else can I do? Still waiting to see if HCG doubled. There was a delay in Hcg test and I'm on the edge of my seat. Any tips ideas? Anyone see their prog drop then go back up??

nicole, wife & very blessed mom of 2 fun boys '03 & '05 & sweet girl '10. 2ndtri.gifDue 1-6-13 hbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#6 of 9 Old 02-02-2010, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurine View Post
I think that's very good. My doc's office seemed to think high numbers may sometimes indicate early pregnancy (but don't rely totally on that...) When do you test?
I'm trying to hold out to 11 DPO which is Thursday. I hope it's an early pregnancy sign. My chart is a mess!

2nd try was a charm! BFP EDD 10/17/10 Beta @ 12 dpo - 92 Beta @ 15 dpo - 902 - It's a GIRL - Olivia Grace 10/18/10 6lb 12 oz
#7 of 9 Old 02-02-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyNicoleTX View Post
I have a Progesterone test question too. Mine was 11.7 on Friday and 10 on Monday (4wks along). What does that indicate? terrible news? I'm trying to get a prescription called in. I'm already doing prog cream and wild yam. What else can I do? Still waiting to see if HCG doubled. There was a delay in Hcg test and I'm on the edge of my seat. Any tips ideas? Anyone see their prog drop then go back up??
thats not really a prog drop

see, your progesterone is not a set level per day... it goes up and down throughout the day. You could have been tested at a low both times, at a low one and a high the other, at a high both times... somewhere in between... theres really no way of knowing.

however, what can be done for levels like that in pregnancy is to do progesterone suppositories. Unlike the cream, it goes right to where it needs to be and does not risk being lost on the way or over saturating your body fat thus causing it to no longer work.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#8 of 9 Old 02-02-2010, 06:03 PM
LZP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
Hi

Thanks!
that number sounds great. I'd wait to hear from the HCP who ran the blood work and see what she/he says about it. Were they looking for something specific like LPD? looks like you dont have it at 8DPO, but mine would always plummet a few days later, and the RE never caught that (because he didnt think charting was "accurate" to indicate anything.... RIGHT.)

anywho... I hope it's a good sign for you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyNicoleTX View Post
ugh. I had this experience. it's nerve wracking, but so far, we have a good outcome! Good luck. maybe this will make you feel better? My progesterone was 38.1 at 13DPO (one day after +hpt). and by 20DPO it had plummeted to 9.7. I freaked out. I was using prescription suppositories already (due to previous loss that I think was caused by inadequate progesterone) so I added natural progesterone cream. I dont know about wild yam, I heard to be careful of that, so my choice was to avoid it...so I can't say anything about that part.
My progesterone steadily, but slowly increased after the 9.7 reading to 12, then 15, then 30 something, then 44. I dont know what it is now, bc we havent checked since I got further along. but I'm still using NPC, and might use it till the end of pregnancy. according to what I've read, anything not needed will be excreted.

also, progesterone is released in spurts during the day. so a measurement can be off by as much as 20% or something like that, since it could be hours since the last release, and just before the next. I seem to test lower inthe morning than in the afternoon. wish I had picked up on that sooner... now I know to schedule blood work for the afternoon!

*this is not medical advice!

The babymoon isn't over! Our long awaited A born 7/18/10, making us laugh and smile every day.
#9 of 9 Old 02-02-2010, 07:08 PM

Thank u. All good info that's giving me some hope! Once I know the HCG levels tomorrow I'll feel like I can stop holding my breath a bit.

nicole, wife & very blessed mom of 2 fun boys '03 & '05 & sweet girl '10. 2ndtri.gifDue 1-6-13 hbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page