Did You Know??? Antihistamines can prevent fertility!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-26-2004, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been reading some of your posts about fertility and remember that it was just a year ago that I had been trying futilely to get pregnant. After 6 months of trying, and simultaneously taking prescription antihistamines, I finally got pregnant when I stopped taking them.

My ob knew we were trying to get pregnant. My first born was conceived by just wishing it. So, we couldn't figure out why we couldn't get pregnant easily the second time.

In the meantime, I had debilitating sinus problems. I would literally ask my husband to come home from work b/c I couldn't "mother" in such pain. So, I kept taking the antihistamines.

About 6 months into this, I also toyed with the idea of going organic with our food. I was a big milk drinker and that was the first thing I switched. Within 2 days!!! I was completely sinus-free. So, I dropped the antihistamines. My peak fertility period was the next week and Voila! I was pregnant.

When I asked my ob about this, he confirmed that yes, just like antihistamines dry up the fluids in your head, they dry up ALL your bodily fluids. Basically, the sperm can't travel.

How about that? I guess it's a little known secret that antihistamines can indeed prevent fertility. Maybe this will help some of you mommas.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 02-27-2004, 02:38 AM

very true!
#3 of 15 Old 02-27-2004, 03:30 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
What were you taking?

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#4 of 15 Old 02-27-2004, 03:36 AM

I took zyrtec and found that I had ABSOLUTELY NO CM WHATSOEVER for about 4 months!

Now, I just drink lots of water and take Guafenessin tablets (that is the decongestant in robotussin) when I feel allergic and it keeps me from getting stuffy.
#5 of 15 Old 02-27-2004, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

I was taking Claritin. I had been on something stronger (Zyrtec maybe, my memory is a fog) but when my ob learned I was trying to get pregnant, he told me to get off Zyrtec, or whatever it was. I think he said it wasn't safe. Anyway, I switched to Claritin, but when I went organic, my sinus problems went away. Something to do with a lowered immune system due to all the antibiotics in the regular milk.

#6 of 15 Old 02-27-2004, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Claritin messed my cycles up but good. When I took it my cycle was 54 days long - and sure enough, when I looked at the PDR online - one of the less common side effects is "menstrual changes" :

Always read the fine print!!!!

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#7 of 15 Old 02-27-2004, 05:51 PM
Banned

Yup, Claritin screwed me, big time . I, too, got pg the month i stopped it. I am currently on nothing and doing fine, but praying fervently that i concieve before peak pollen season.
#8 of 15 Old 02-27-2004, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm. How interesting. Claritin affected you all, too.

I wonder if that means it would work as a birth control, too? Don't let the kiddos know.

#9 of 15 Old 02-27-2004, 11:26 PM

:LOL
#10 of 15 Old 03-19-2004, 02:22 PM

I had never heard that about antihistamines! Thank you for the information
I want to start trying to conceive within a few months, and I'm on zyrtec. Should I stop taking it right away to help my fertility (and avoid any birth defects)? Or can I wait until I'm ready to conceive? My allergies are terrible this time of year (and claritin doesn't help me), so I was hoping I could stay on zyrtec for a couple more months and then start trying to conceive. Is this safe?
#11 of 15 Old 03-19-2004, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I would say to stop taking them, but feel free to check this out with a professional first. I was on Zyrtec and my ob/gyn told me that it wasn't safe and that I should switch to Claritin. I made the switch, but apparently, it was still too strong for me to get pregnant. I spent 6 months trying to get pregnant unsuccessfully. My allergies were debilitating, too. Only when I went off Claritin was I able to get pregnant. (I think I mentioned this happened at the same time as my accidental discovery that my allergies went away without dairy or while only consuming organic dairy.) Good luck! Let me know if you have more questions. Feel free to PM me.

#12 of 15 Old 03-19-2004, 02:40 PM

Is it possible for you to see a Naturopath? I used to have bad allergies, and many years ago worked with a Naturopath for that - well, for everything (yeast overgrowth, eczema, frequent colds) - such is the holistic approach of naturopathic medicine. The allergies went away, and have not come back since (even though I no longer follow the strict plan that was initially needed to kick-start the immune boost, etc). The process took longer than a few months, mind you...but working with someone may have some immediate effects, as far as the allergies go. If you plan to get off the zyrtec anyway, it could help.
#13 of 15 Old 03-20-2004, 10:24 PM

Thanks for the ideas everyone I think I'll stop taking Zyrtec soon and see how I do. I've been switching to a lot of organic products, so maybe that'll work! If I have a problem, though, I'll definitely look into a Naturopath. I hadn't even thought of that, but that's a great suggestion. Thank you!
#14 of 15 Old 03-23-2004, 05:00 PM

What if hubby is taking these medications? Will it affect him(sperm)?

Paula
#15 of 15 Old 03-23-2004, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Hey. As far as I know, the husband isn't affected, as long as he is producing sperm. :LOL The antihistamines dry up your fluids so his sperm can't travel in the woman b/c, the fluid that carries it has been dried up. So, basically his sperm doesn't go anywhere. I would assume that as long as he's producing it, then you're okay. I'm no doc, though!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page