vitex, B6 and pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-04-2010, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had short LP probably because of breasfeeding (8-9 days) so I started taking B6 and vitex and got pregnant right away. I am now 5 weeks pregnant and I still take them. I don't know when to stop. I know some people believe that you should stop vitex when you are pregnant but I also heard it can help prevent m/c in the first trimester. Since I just had a m/c, I'm scared to stop taking it but at the same time, I don't want to hurt the baby.
What should I do ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 02-05-2010, 03:45 AM

Sorry to hear of your m/c, and blessing and congrats on your new pg.

Do you have a pg caregiver that might give you advice?

Here's what I'm doing/planning to do.
First, on the B6- I don't know how much you are taking, but, from what I understand, that's a pretty safe one in pg (even helps m/s). So, you're probably fine on that one.

On the Vitex- tho I'm not pg (yet), I worried about the same thing. I got lots of differing opinions from MW's and herbalists before I started it. What I've decided to do, should I become pg, is take it thru the 1st tri and slowly wean myself off.

I agree w/ you, that you don't want to stop abruptly.

reading.gifdiaper.gif ♥ baby.gif baby.gif ♥
but a lesson must be lived in order to be learned.
and the clarity to see and stop this now
that is what i've earned (a.d.)
#3 of 5 Old 02-05-2010, 10:50 AM

Have you had your progesterone levels checked? I think that's the reason why they say not to stop taking the Vitex if you become pregnant, because your prog levels could drop. I wonder if they are high enough for you as to not be a concern...

I'm on B6 and Vitex now. If I become pregnant, I'll consider starting up using Crinone again, but not sure.

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
#4 of 5 Old 02-05-2010, 01:14 PM

I would just keep taking the B6. It's good for your growing baby and you.

As I understand it, Vitex does not become dangerous for the pregnancy or your baby until the second trimester around the 5th month. Weaning slowly was definitely the key. I had low progestrone (I now know that it was due to thyroide issues) and around the start of the second trimester is when the placenta takes over production of the progestrone for the pregnancy.

I got pregnant with #1 while taking Vitex. I felt that if I had stopped taking it right after I found out that I was pregnant I would likely have miscarried due to quickly falling progesterone.
After I found out that I was pregnant I continued taking the same amount, which was 40 drops 4 times a day until I was about 9 weeks pregnant. At that point I started to slowly wean myself off of it so that I would be completely off by the 13th week of pregnancy.
So, if I started at 40 drops 4 times a day the first week I started to wean I went down to 30 drops 4 times a day. Then the next week 20 drops 4 times. Then 10 drops 4 times. After that I think that I went to 10 drops 2 times a day and then off of it completely.

Weaning slowly was definitely the key. I had low progestrone

This is what worked for me. Good Luck to you!

Jenn (30) wife to DH (42) and Mama to DS (2). Looking forward to our with #2 due Nov. 2 2010.
#5 of 5 Old 02-05-2010, 05:15 PM

There is no reason to discontinue the B6. It is suppose to be helpful for first trimester ickies. Also, my chiropractor said to take Vitex through the first trimester so as not to mess up hormones. My midwife said this also and said to taper off after 1st trimester.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page