How does having a cold affect BBT? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-05-2010, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a cold all last week, and my temps were erratic--not higher than usual as one might expect, they were lower than usual. I didn't have a fever with this cold, and it didn't really affect my sleeping habits. (Although I'm guessing I might have slept with my mouth open due to a stuffed nose.) I had the cold during the EXACT time I was supposed to ovulate of course, so I'm wondering if my cold might have affected the BBT. There are a few other factors--this is my first normal cycle after a miscarriage at 12 weeks. Additionally, this is my first time temping since October and I'm wondering how the winter weather may be affecting my temps.

I didn't get the EWCM either this month, so I'm hoping I didn't have an anovulatory cycle (which is possible I guess after a miscarriage).

Any feedback about the colds would be helpful! Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2010, 10:47 PM

i have a feeling that anything that affects your immune system is going to affect your BBT and your sleep patterns, even if the effect is mild and unpredictable.

i would suggest that wait it out a few days and see how your temps smooth out one the other side of the cold. if they are still erratic or low, maybe you havent o'd if they smooth out high near other months post o temp you might not know exactly what day you o'd but you will have a pretty good idea that you did.

hope that helps things a tad.

feel better soon.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Old 02-10-2010, 06:46 PM

Dear Malayamommy
How did your cold turn out? Did your temps rise again? I have the same issue right now. I had a cold at the same time of ovulation and did not get my egg whites, just like you experienced. I was shocked that a cold could affect that! I got thin egg whites, but not my usual. Very disappointed. Now I have another cold (sore thorat, dry cough, malaise) and my temps are way down.

I was just curious if your temps came back up if you are over your cold?

Me: 31 y/o, DH: 32 y/o - Happily Married for 3 1/2 years. Preggo w/ #1, EDD: 10/27/10. Momma to Oliver (pup)
Old 03-30-2010, 06:18 PM

This is my first month charting and I had a cold. I don't know for sure if these temps are erratic for me (norm) but they sure are all over the place. It is very frustrating when you are waiting to see how your temps will look when you have to sleep with your mouth open from a stuffy nose. My lowest temps were when I had a stuffy nose in the morning. Anyway, I just wanted to give my input.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:34 PM

how it can affect BBT depends on your cold and how you temp...

if its a head cold and you are all stuffy but temp orally... it could be lower because you are mouth breathing when you sleep.

if you have a bit of a fever it could raise your temp (well obviously)

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.

User Tag List