Clomid Questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-08-2010, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This mo. was the first time I took clomid in preparation for IUI. I got the flu and pneumonia and I think a sinus infection and never got a positive on my OPK tests. I usually do ovulate though in other months before starting clomid. I am guessing that I either did not ovulate b/c I was sick or the test just did not catch the LH at the right time ( I was doing test daily at around 11 am as recommend by my fertility dr.).

Can some women who ovulate regulary just not ovulate with Clomid? I am on day 20 of cycle and my guess is maybe I ovulated on the 13 or 14 of my cycle based on other signs, but I did not take my temp. most days this mo. b/c of being sick, sleeping with dd b/c she was sick, etc.

I know I need to call the dr. but need to talk to my allergist 1st b/c I think I still have a sinus infection. She was afraid to give me meds b/c she said Clomid is dangerous, can kill me, has lots of drug interactions, etc. which I know not to be true which drives me nuts.

I am really dissapointed in not being able to do the IUI this month and wonder if I should just wait a couple mo. to make sure my system is all good but hate to wait too long b/c I am 39 and don't want to continue with TTC for more than a few more months b/c of my age.
#2 of 7 Old 03-08-2010, 06:56 PM

No help on the clomid front, sorry, but some women will miss their LH surge if you're only testing once per day. I got cheapie test strips and tested at 10 or 11am, 5pm, and 9pm, and I would often catch a surge on just one or two of those tests, only to have it be gone by the next test. So maybe take OPKs more often next cycle?

DD March 2007...happily nursing, EC graduated, family-bed-sharing family... expecting another in early November!
#3 of 7 Old 03-08-2010, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I will try that. I did test 3 times on the day I was having increased libido and more white stretchy cervical mucus, but test kept being negative Will call the nurse/dr. tomorrow or Wed. to see what they say after I find out what allergist says about my sinuses.
#4 of 7 Old 03-09-2010, 12:36 AM

I do IUI's with clomid and OPK's too, but not all women can detect their surge with them. Have you used and had success detecting your surge with OPK's on un-medicated cycles in the past? My fertility doc said to use them between 10am and 2pm, only once, but my last cycle I ended up using two tests the day I surged, and I'm pretty sure I would have missed it otherwise (BTW, it worked, I'm pregnant ). Being ill can mess with your ovulation too, so if it were me I'd want to touch base with the nurse or the doc at your clinic and see what they have to say. Some women need ultrasound monitoring to ensure they catch the egg.

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#5 of 7 Old 03-09-2010, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couponmama View Post
This mo. was the first time I took clomid in preparation for IUI. I got the flu and pneumonia and I think a sinus infection and never got a positive on my OPK tests. I usually do ovulate though in other months before starting clomid. I am guessing that I either did not ovulate b/c I was sick or the test just did not catch the LH at the right time ( I was doing test daily at around 11 am as recommend by my fertility dr.).
can i ask why they decided to put you on Clomid even though you O on your own?

yeah most folks i hear say to do the tests a bit later in the day 12-2pm or to test twice a day

Quote:
Can some women who ovulate regulary just not ovulate with Clomid? I am on day 20 of cycle and my guess is maybe I ovulated on the 13 or 14 of my cycle based on other signs, but I did not take my temp. most days this mo. b/c of being sick, sleeping with dd b/c she was sick, etc.
being sick is a reallly normal way to put Ovulation off, i would almost be shocked if you o'd on schedule with all that sick in you. are they monitoring you in any other way? it's risky to give you clomid and not monitor you, most ladies will get an ultrasound around CD12 or a few days before you would normally O.. are you planning on doing IUI just based on OPK's? they simple dont work for some ladies, myself included. and for others they give many many days of positives, so timing an IUI would be nearly impossible
Quote:
I know I need to call the dr. but need to talk to my allergist 1st b/c I think I still have a sinus infection. She was afraid to give me meds b/c she said Clomid is dangerous, can kill me, has lots of drug interactions, etc. which I know not to be true which drives me nuts.
well clomid can certainly had drug interactions, so you might ask her about that and look it up, but year she sounded like a fear monger. Many doctors treat clomid like it is a Tic Tac and it does have real and common issues. So there is of course a balance. Clomid can also be a great treatment.
Quote:
I am really dissapointed in not being able to do the IUI this month and wonder if I should just wait a couple mo. to make sure my system is all good but hate to wait too long b/c I am 39 and don't want to continue with TTC for more than a few more months b/c of my age.
i really hear you on this one, hang in there

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#6 of 7 Old 03-10-2010, 04:44 AM

A few months ago I got the stomach flu and 2 weeks later got it again. Needless to say my O date was 12 days late that month. Keep testing you will probablly still O just late.
#7 of 7 Old 03-10-2010, 10:35 AM

1st, it's possible that the clomid is delaying your O a bit, I O'd on day 20 with it some cycles.

2nd, it's possible that being sick has just caused your O delay, and you haven't O'd yet.

3rd, it's unlikely that the clomid has caused you NOT to O, and more likely caused from you being sick, and you probably will still O.

4th, take the OPK's 2 x a day and not just once at 11.

5th, clomid can have some drug interactions, but your allergist is way over reacting. I would ask the pharmacists for OTC recommendations for allergy meds or sinus meds that are good with clomid.

HTH's

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page