What happened to my BFP?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 03-14-2010, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, one week after spotting, and no AF showing, and feeling pretty bloated, I did a POAS this afternoon. I could not use first morning urine because we only returned from a trip this afternoon. Anyway....it was a EPT and it turned up BFP! !!! I did three tests, and all of them were BFPs, although really, really faint. The first one is nice and clear, just a thin blue line, the second and third are fainter but definitely there.

Then I tested again with a FRER late in the day and got a BFN. HUH?? Am I NOT pregnant? Or do you think that it is because the HcG levels are highest early in the day and drop towards evening, in early pregnancy?

What if the BFPs were wrong? Now I'm all worried that maybe I'm actually NOT pregnant, and I'm so confused. Well, tomorrow morning at the crack of dawn I'll test again.

Does anyone think EPT is more sensitive than FRER? And does anyone think I just am totally mental?? I must be. Based on my previous pregnancies, I take a long time to get a BFP, it takes forever for my HcG to rise. I'm just hoping against hope that the first tests were right, and not just teasing me.

Has anyone else tested and got a BFP early in the day and a BFN later on?

Edited to add: I'm not saying a word to anyone including DH until I know what's going on.
#2 of 17 Old 03-14-2010, 10:33 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
it could be that your pee was more diluted wih the FRER, or that the FRER has a different sensitivity than the others. I've also seen ladies that have FRERs show up later for them than others. I don't really get it, but I say test again tomorrow. I hope you get your big clear fat positive!

Our little miracles are here!!joy.gif
energy.gif DD Born 7/15/11 biggrinbounce.gif DS Born 4/3/13
love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Auntie to Nell, Greta, Maggie, and Elsa!

Remembering our 3 losses

#3 of 17 Old 03-14-2010, 10:41 PM

My problem with EPT is they are blue dye and have been known to give false positives (even convincing ones... even multiple ones)

That isn't to say yours were... just I think you are smart not to tell anyone until its confirmed by a better test.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#4 of 17 Old 03-14-2010, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

So EPT is not reliable? Who knew? Well, I'm glad I went out and bought some FRER this afternoon then. I'll use one tomorrow (and Tuesday and Wednesday and Thursday...) morning.

Thanks ladies.
#5 of 17 Old 03-15-2010, 12:02 AM

Aww I hate those blue dye tests, they should be banned Lots of women get false positives on them and it's widely known in the TTC community that they are totally unreliable. I am so sorry that you didn't know.
That said, if you usually take a while to show up positive and you had spotting with no AF you might still get a BFP on a real test soon I hope you do! Keep us updated and good luck.

Krista; blessed mother to four earthly beings and three non-physical. Basking in my beautiful rainbow. 

#6 of 17 Old 03-15-2010, 09:10 AM

Everybody said what I was going to say but I hope to hear a happy update!!
#7 of 17 Old 03-15-2010, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Well, no more EPTs! This morning I did a FRER and got a BFN. No surprise there. Well, I guess I should be happy that at least hormonally, something is going on. Usually it takes me 21 months to have cycles again. Maybe we can have a last babe that is really close in age to his big brother. That would be fun!

I'll test again in two days. But I'm not feeling very hopeful. Thanks for clueing me in on those $^%^#& EPTs.
#8 of 17 Old 03-15-2010, 02:10 PM

ARG...I hate it for anyone that has ever had a false positive...or been teased by a test! (((((((hugs))))))))

Sending you some baby dust!

Me (30), DH (31), DS (3.5 yrs - 5/07), DD (1.5 yr - 2/09) via VBAC!!! DS (newborn - 11/10) via natural VBAC! 2 angel babies - 06/06 & 04/08
#9 of 17 Old 03-15-2010, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the baby dust! I guess we'll need it.

THREE positives, .

And then a BFN. I just can't stand it. Time to go to the beach.
#10 of 17 Old 03-15-2010, 05:17 PM

How many DPO are you? Maybe the baby dust can be a really quick shipment for NOW!!

Me (30), DH (31), DS (3.5 yrs - 5/07), DD (1.5 yr - 2/09) via VBAC!!! DS (newborn - 11/10) via natural VBAC! 2 angel babies - 06/06 & 04/08
#11 of 17 Old 03-15-2010, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

I think I'm about a million DPO at this point.....seriously, I don't know when I ovulated, but I spotted on the 6th.
#12 of 17 Old 03-15-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyler View Post
I think I'm about a million DPO at this point.....seriously, I don't know when I ovulated, but I spotted on the 6th.
When was your last AF?

for you mama.

Michelle, Mama to ~ F (10/06) ~ S (7/08) ~ H (2/11) ~ B (11/12)
Expecting a surprise (5/15)
#13 of 17 Old 03-15-2010, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
bfn's stink. I hope it turns into a positive in the next days!

Our little miracles are here!!joy.gif
energy.gif DD Born 7/15/11 biggrinbounce.gif DS Born 4/3/13
love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Auntie to Nell, Greta, Maggie, and Elsa!

Remembering our 3 losses

#14 of 17 Old 03-15-2010, 07:41 PM

I got + on dollar store tests WAY early on (6 or 7 DPO) and negative FRER until about 8 or 9 DPO.

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
#15 of 17 Old 03-15-2010, 11:18 PM

I've never gotten a positive on a FRER...and always use blue dye tests and they've always been accurate (I have 4 kids) so there is hope.
#16 of 17 Old 03-16-2010, 08:34 PM

Crashing to add, that even now at 22 weeks pregnant with twins I still get a super faint line on FRERs ... super thick awesome pretty lines on dollar store tests...

And yes I realize how pathetic I am to still be peeing on sticks at this point.. but they are just sitting there.

Loving Dh, Mama x 4, Surrogate mother to 5. A born 2003, M and R girl/girl twins 2006, S and C boy/girl twins born 2010. Processing/healing.
#17 of 17 Old 03-17-2010, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mama2toomany----ROFLMAO about your comment---"they are just sitting there." !!! Thanks for making me smile, hon!

Update: Just more BFNs for me. I'm almost for sure not preggo. Better luck next time!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page