Tell me your vitex story - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-16-2010, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm trying to TTC #2 while still nursing #1 5-7 times a day. My follicular phase is super long (33 days last time) and my luteal phase is shortish (10-11 days)
I'm going to start taking Vitex this cycle, and I was wondering how this herb had affected other people's cycles? Would you mind sharing your experience?
(x posted on the pregnancy board... I guess i have a better chance on getting some positive stories there?)
#2 of 8 Old 03-16-2010, 05:25 AM

from Nursing Mamas...
No BFP to show for it yet, but my experience with Vitex so far has been really good.

For history, I've always had long, irregular cycles. I used the CBEFM pre-dd (didn't temp, but fairly certain I was O'ing when it said- my CM always matched up and, well, I ended up pg :P) For the 7 cycles pre-DD, I O'd around CD20-25. (I used to have a super long 18-20 day LP, too... *grumbles to current LPD* )

I have endometriosis. I had surgical removal of a lot of endo this past Oct. Started taking Vitex on the recommend of my mw and herblaist to help decrease endo symptoms, and only later found out about its ttc value.

Since I started taking Vitex, I've had 3 cycles. 1st was 50 days anov. But, then, something amazing happened- the 2nd was 21 days and I O'd on CD12. This has never happened to me before in my life. Honest. The 3rd, the one I'm currently on, I O'd so early that we missed BD'ing prior. Chart confusion aside, it looks like I probably O'd on CD9. I'm on CD19 now and spotting like AF is coming.

My endo/PMS symptoms have been incredibly decreased.

Disclaimer, tho, I do wonder how much of the change in my cycle is actually due to the removal of my endo and the positive effects of nursing on my endo, so what I'm attributing to Vitex might not be Vitex... buuut, I've certainly been happy with it and I've never heard that removing endo can make O date earlier, and I HAVE heard that about Vitex.

I still have a pretty bad LPD, tho. (I guess my LP *could* be shorter, but not much ) My nursling is young and a constant nurser, so there may just be no helping it.

i will say that I had to play around with dosing a lot to find a dose that doesn't give me headaches. Other than that, no neg side effects.

Ok, that ended up being a novel. Hope you find the advice you are looking for. Do you have a local herbalist you could talk to?

reading.gifdiaper.gif ♥ baby.gif baby.gif ♥
but a lesson must be lived in order to be learned.
and the clarity to see and stop this now
that is what i've earned (a.d.)
#3 of 8 Old 03-16-2010, 08:58 AM

I took Fertilaid when TTC DS (basically Vitex plus a prenatal, but I didn't get that at the time!). I had a long, anovulatory cycle and around CD 30 I'd say, I started it. 2 weeks later got AF and 2 weeks later Ov'd and that was that for DS! I'm taking it again now since I'm nursing and on my 2nd PP cycle. Hoping it will get my LP sorted out but that remains to be seen.

GL!

Kate ~~ Mama to my adorable boy A (7/09) bikenew.gifand funny girl G (4/11) diaper.gif

Cautiously expecting #3 in November!

****5*joy.gif**10****15****20****25****30****35****40

We are a happy treehugger.gifwinner.jpg asl.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif family!

#4 of 8 Old 03-16-2010, 09:19 AM

My ppaf's were nightmares. 40 some odd day cycles with af bleeding lasting sometimes for two weeks!

I turned to vitex in desperation. Immediately the bleeding stopped. and within a couple cycles I had a 28-29 day cycle with midcycle O and 4 day AF!

I took NOTHING else so I give vitex all the credit. I do advise people with fairly normal cycles to stay away from it because it usually messes them up.

I followed the recommended dose in the bottle. Planetary herbals makes the best in IMHO. Hope it can help you.

Dee: Mommy to a 2 y/o boy, expecting a in July and married to my .
#5 of 8 Old 03-16-2010, 11:24 AM

For me Vitex was not good. I have a 10 day LP. It made me have super bad PMS and an annovulatory cycle. It seems as if it made my progesterone lower in my other cycles out of 3.
#6 of 8 Old 03-16-2010, 11:47 AM

I was TTC#2 while nursing too and my LP was 8-9 days long. I took vitex and I guess it made my LP longer because I got pregnant right away. Good luck!
#7 of 8 Old 03-16-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyaW View Post
For me Vitex was not good. I have a 10 day LP. It made me have super bad PMS and an annovulatory cycle. It seems as if it made my progesterone lower in my other cycles out of 3.
Nope, it wasn't good for me either. I took it and I O'd 12 days later than normal and my lp was messed up...it took my normally 32 - 35 day cycles and turned it into a 46 day cycle! Vitex is definitely not for everyone

trekkie.gifStudent Mama to:  C reading.gif  (9yrs old), R blahblah.gif (5yrs old), F  hammer.gif (3yrs old) and TTC baby.gif #4 since April 2009

#8 of 8 Old 03-17-2010, 05:11 PM

I too take FertilAid and I find it to be very helpful. It takes an average of three months for the effects to kick in. My LP has gone from 10 days to averaging 15 and my overall temps have increased. I did have one long anovulatory cycle during the second month but I think it was because my cycle was working itself out.

Best of Luck!

afro.jpg TTA #1 through the Foster Care system

10/12 - Orientation

10/12 - Accepted into Foster Family Agency

02/13 - Finished the paperchase
03/13 - Homestudy completed
03/13 - Matching phase

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page