Read this before buying a Blue Dye HPT (or if it's too late and you peed on one and see a line) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 03-18-2010, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
spend the extra money and get yourself a pink dye test.
I've seen 3 posts already in the last 3 days from people that have peed, seen a line (some past the time limit, some not) and it has turned out to be negative.
I have no doubt that, if pregnant, a line would also show if enough HCG, but they are not accurate and are notorious for FALSE POSITIVES!
Feel free to post your testimonials about Blue Dye tests, those that have been unfortunate "victims".
I don't know how these companies can even stay in business.
And maybe we could get a moderator to sticky this as it comes up SO often and many women's feelings could have been spared.

Jenn (36), wife to DH for 13 years, DD1(13) , DD2(10) and DS(4)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 35 Old 03-18-2010, 12:46 AM

Hello, my name is Jenne, and my (D)h bought me blue dye tests when I asked for FRERs. No, I didn't divorce him immediately. In all other ways he is a wonderful man. At 5dpo I, just for the sake of using the test, POAS. It was positive. Dark blue line, thick line. I knew it couldn't be real. I knew it was a lie. But still, the hope! I took the second one. Also positive. But guess what? FRER, negative. $Store, negative. Guess what? I wasn't pregnant...

I still love DH.
I won't pee on another blue dye tests though...

Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

#3 of 35 Old 03-18-2010, 12:51 AM

PM the mod and ask her to sticky it. This needs to be where women will see it.

You can also do a google search for "false positives with blue dye tests" and find blogs and other threads on other forums all about them, complete with pics of many false bfp's.
Seriously we see one every week or two and three in the last three days, that's just sad

Krista; blessed mother to four earthly beings and three non-physical. Basking in my beautiful rainbow. 

#4 of 35 Old 03-18-2010, 12:52 AM

Do blue dye tests ever have false negatives? A friend took one this weekend, and it was negative. Is there still a chance she is PG? I told her that I had heard that blue dye tests were unreliable, but I didn't know the specifics.

jeneca mommy to kamille, 6 lexi, 4
#3 due 2/28/12

#5 of 35 Old 03-18-2010, 12:54 AM

Any test can be negative when you are pregnant if it's too early and you don't have enough HCG. A positive test means you are pregnant (if it's PINK lol) but a negative test doesn't mean you aren't pregnant.

Krista; blessed mother to four earthly beings and three non-physical. Basking in my beautiful rainbow. 

#6 of 35 Old 03-18-2010, 12:55 AM

I just posted this on another thread but yep happened to me.

Last January (well two January's ago i guess) i had 3 ...YEP THREE positives on blue dye tests and a neg on a pink and then my period right on time. The lines weren't even faint...but they were very skinny.

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#7 of 35 Old 03-18-2010, 01:36 AM

I had a couple false positives on equate blue dye tests a few months ago. Skinny line but it came up within three minutes and was definitely blue, not gray or white. Just to be sure I also took some pink dye tests (internet cheapies and a FRER) and sure enough...stark white. I had the skinny blue lines on three equates (it was a 3-pack, I actually meant to buy a pink dye test and grabbed the wrong package) and never got a hint of one on a pink dye. Period came. Definitely not pregnant, and never was.

Blue dye tests are evil, and there are cheaper pink dye tests anyway. Dollar Tree tests work fine, and I got a 25-pack of pink dye internet cheapies on Amazon for $6. Have never gotten an evap on an internet cheapie. (I have on Dollar Tree but not until the day after when it was obviously an evap and I should never have grabbed it back out of the trash anyway, lol)

Full-time RVing wifey, TTC #1 and working towards living debt-free!
#8 of 35 Old 03-20-2010, 05:34 AM

putting in my support for this to be a sticky so that we can save ladies here from the wasted money and totally heartache/ulcer of the false and confusing results!

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#9 of 35 Old 03-20-2010, 08:55 AM

Just this week (probably 6 or 7 dpo) I got 2 very faint lines, skinny lines on CBE test. I know now they weren't bfps because I'm just now getting faint lines FRER ... and it says in the instructions "must be the same width/thickness as control line" which of course, I didn't read at first.
#10 of 35 Old 03-20-2010, 02:17 PM

Blue Dye is evil! Avoid the Blue Dye!

Autumn (1990) Blake (1993) Zoe (2001) Dmitrios (2002) and William (April 2009) born still @ 39 wks - my 4ever
#11 of 35 Old 03-20-2010, 03:42 PM

Blue Dye tests should be illegal. I've gotten MANY false positives on them...come to think of it I've never gotten a negative on one. Seriously. If they get wet, they turn positive. Stick with pink dye, it's the only way to know for sure. And pink dye doesn't have to cost more. This time around, I used Dollar Tree tests to confirm a bfp and then just for fun went out and bought a different pink brand...but Dollar Tree tests work great!

Mama to DD (10/8/08) and expecting someone new in November!
#12 of 35 Old 03-20-2010, 04:11 PM

Hi folks!
We have had quite a few PMs about making this thread a sticky. Since MDC doesn't sticky member started threads, it has instead been added to the sticky at the top of the forum that contains links and resources. Thanks so much for thinking of your fellow ttc-ers!!

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#13 of 35 Old 03-21-2010, 02:38 AM

cool. and if i hadn't read this thread i wouldnt have probably ever noticed ode to my chart got stickied too- yay! may they live long in stickied thread land, long after we are all OUT OF HERE!

Every good and perfect gift is from above.
#14 of 35 Old 03-21-2010, 03:02 PM

There should be a list in the OP w/ the brand names that use blue dye

Tina - mama to DD1 10.75yrs, DD2 6yrs, DD3 2.5 yrs & baby due in June 2015 and wifey to DH.
#15 of 35 Old 03-21-2010, 10:26 PM

I agree, the blue dye tests have given me much confusion and heartache. Last year I had several blue line tests come up pos. I am going to try to post a pic.
I called the company help line and was told that "breastfeeding" can give a false positive! It is incompetant and misleading to tell someone such BS! I ended up having a blood test that was negative. I had not had a ppaf by then and still haven't, so it wasn't a chemical, just a stupid test. It really is a design fault that they should fix.
Here's the link: http://yfrog.com/5tclearblue001j
Hope it works

Wife partners.gif and mama of five grouphug.gif,  Alfie angel2.gif 12/10  and Louie angel2.gif 6/11, CPangel1.gif5/12, CP angel1.gif3/14
#16 of 35 Old 03-21-2010, 10:30 PM

Wow, this is awful. So sorry to all who have been given false hope. I've never used a blue dye test, just by chance, but now I'll stay far away from them!

Heather, Mama to DS(10) DD(7.5),DD(6)
#17 of 35 Old 04-10-2010, 01:47 PM

Bumping this as there may be ANOTHER one... hoping for her sake it's not, but a dark blue line at 8dpo but no pink test to back it up... Definitely sounds like it.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#18 of 35 Old 04-10-2010, 03:59 PM

Yep it's happened to me. Last year- in Thailand though, obviously different manufacturer of tests but on more than one blue one I had a nice thick but faint line and was SO excited. Drat.

One ecological breastfeeding nak.gif om.gif, married to an awesome dh_malesling.GIFintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif treehugger.giffamilybed2.gifecbaby2.gifhomeschool.gifhomebirth.jpgwhale.gif Our family is definitelymaybe complete! hale

#19 of 35 Old 04-10-2010, 05:45 PM

I POAS at 8 dpo and there was immediately a dark blue line.
I didnt bother to check with another test, as i have always heard there cant be a false positive. So dp and I have spent the last week SHOCKED and trying to adjust to this unsettling news (our baby just turned 1 yo, and although some mamas can do it fine, i have always felt i can only handle 1 BABY at a time and we didnt plan to ttc for another couple years). I have felt SO BAD for my baby this week; I am actually happy to discover that i had a false positive, but it would have been better if dp and i hadn't had to be in crisis mode this last week!

Anyway, after hearing about this issue this morning, I used a dollar tree test and there is no sign of a 2nd line.

So YES the blue dye tests should not be sold and they absolutely can make you think you are pg when you are not!

Mama to 3 boys 

#20 of 35 Old 04-10-2010, 07:23 PM

Good to know, I am glad this information is out here!
#21 of 35 Old 04-11-2010, 04:50 PM

I had a different problem with a blue dye test.
I had a positive - confirmed by numerous pink dye strip tests - but when I looked at the test a few weeks later it had "turned" negative.
My FRER from 2007 with my son is still positive.
I'm sad because I bought the blue dye test to have a "real" one to save instead of just the strip tests.
I've miscarried and my only memento of this pregnancy is that test which is now negative.
I know this must sound so weird to people

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#22 of 35 Old 04-12-2010, 02:49 AM
myk

thanks for this, you just saved me $20. the blue tests were on sale this week, but i'll spend the extra cash on something better.

January 2011
#23 of 35 Old 04-12-2010, 05:24 PM

Too bad someone can't turn this into a sticky so it's always at the top of the page.

Blue dye tests are evil!!!

Tracy
#24 of 35 Old 04-12-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BathrobeGoddess View Post
Hi folks!
We have had quite a few PMs about making this thread a sticky. Since MDC doesn't sticky member started threads, it has instead been added to the sticky at the top of the forum that contains links and resources. Thanks so much for thinking of your fellow ttc-ers!!
Just pointed out that this has been addressed. I really don't want to have to lock this thread so please keep comments on topic to talking about blue dye tests. Thanks!

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#25 of 35 Old 04-12-2010, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan73 View Post
I've miscarried and my only memento of this pregnancy is that test which is now negative.
I know this must sound so weird to people
Not to me. I can't believe a company would produce a product capable of such heartbreak. I hope this thread warns a lot of women away from those tests.

Our little miracles are here!!joy.gif
energy.gif DD Born 7/15/11 biggrinbounce.gif DS Born 4/3/13
love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Auntie to Nell, Greta, Maggie, and Elsa!

Remembering our 3 losses

#26 of 35 Old 04-12-2010, 09:27 PM

I bought Rite Aid brand tests, even knowing that blue dye was not so good, because they were really cheap!

And then I got an immediate thin blue line on all. three. tests.

These things are no good.

Mother to R- 2/09, & C- 5/11

#27 of 35 Old 04-14-2010, 06:09 PM

bumping this thread up so it is back on the front page.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#28 of 35 Old 04-14-2010, 08:35 PM

Thanks for the warning, i'll make sure to only buy pink or digital, although i don't actually remember ever seeing a blue line one i don't think.

eta i have seen blue, it was a blue die test that gave me my early bfp with cadet.

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

#29 of 35 Old 05-08-2010, 06:45 PM

I got a false positive on a blue +/- test. AF was late last month and we are TTC. Bought a 3-pack of blue tests on sale. It looked to be a very very light BFP...but something seemed "off" about it, it was very thin and waaay off to the left*. I just didn't feel right about it. All other tests (FRERs) gave me BFNs. AF showed up a few days later. I called the CB hotline to complain about a false positive and what do you know, no answer. On a hotline no less! I will never use CB tests again.

*false positive CB
(it was exactly as described here: http://www.peeonastick.com/issues.html)
#30 of 35 Old 09-29-2010, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Just to make sure I understand which tests not to buy, is Clear Blue Easy a blue dye test?

What about Clear Blue Digital? I have some of those, are they ok?

Me (32), married to DH (35)

3 years of TTC #1, M/C @ 6wks in May 2013 angel1.gif
Mom to Liliana born May 8 2014 bfinfant.gif
mdcblog5.gif www.babythehardway.com

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page