Slow rise in BBT after ovulation. Bad? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 03-18-2010, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this.
I've been charting/temping for years and always had a nice jump up after O.
I had a MC in early Feb and my first cycle had a slow rise, totally caught me by surprise until 3 DPO when FF gave me crosshairs.
This month, I had a few + OPKS and some subtle O signs, but my temp hasn't risen. Now I'm getting totally - OPKs.
I'm hoping I did O, because BD timing was ok, and I doubt we'll be BDing again this cycle.

Is a slow rise indicative of some sort of hormonal issue? I've never had low progesterone, and I'm not sure if you can see my Feb chart but once my temps finally did rise, they were nice and high.

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1bc90f

I might add, I am nursing a 20 month old but I don't think enough anymore to impact my cycle that much. AND I do have one leg in the glue factory, as I am 38 years old. Thanks for any input...

Michelle, Mama to ~ F (10/06) ~ S (7/08) ~ H (2/11) ~ B (11/12)
Expecting a surprise (5/15)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 03-18-2010, 04:22 PM

I wouldn't worry about your feb. chart, your body was definitely not in its usual state... and this month I would say, unfortunately, it looks possible that you didn't O yet... but also possible that you did... but in either case, I wouldn't worry just yet... as your body may still be freaking out over the miscarriage.

Take a deep breath... I know it can be very hard.

Slow rises are just plain normal for some people and usually don't actually indicate anything being wrong in most cases.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#3 of 15 Old 03-18-2010, 04:25 PM

hello michelle,

i have wondered myself if slow rise is related to progesterone. i searched 'slow rise' on ff, and it seems to have average pregnancy results (36%) so i dont think it hurts your chances, and from what i saw, just an avg number of women on those charts were on progesterone. there are some fugly charts when you search things like fallback rise or slow rise, which i've had both, and still a lot of them are pregnancy charts.

some of it may also have a little to do with the timing of the o, at least a slight delay. for example, if you take your temp in the am and you just happen to be o'ing at that moment, you will have 24 hours for your temp to go up, so the next day you might see a good rise. if you o just a couple hours before, you might see a tiny rise. and they do say there is some leeway in how quickly that temp goes up, so if you combine just the right timing and a normally slower response, it could look really slow and be perfectly average. all right, i just confused myself, but i think i make sense, sort of?

Every good and perfect gift is from above.
#4 of 15 Old 03-18-2010, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post

Slow rises are just plain normal for some people and usually don't actually indicate anything being wrong in most cases.
Thanks for your answer. I just assume that my body is totally falling apart and that a slow rise means I have to add another 11 vitamins to my regimen.

#5 of 15 Old 03-18-2010, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Karma, no I understand what you mean. You only temp once a day and that isn't always the best snapshot of what's going on that day. Chances are I didn't O - although I had a few signs I did, all except the rise in temp. It would be kind of early for me to O but I've seen stranger things happen. And please tell me not to keep taking my temp during the day to look for a temp rise....

#6 of 15 Old 03-18-2010, 04:34 PM

don't keep taking your temp during the day to look for a temp rise, silly. :nana

#7 of 15 Old 03-18-2010, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmab View Post
don't keep taking your temp during the day to look for a temp rise, silly. :nana
Hahaha you're telling that to the numbskull who tests at 4 DPO...

#8 of 15 Old 03-18-2010, 04:50 PM

well, listen, talk about numbskulls. it's 2 pm, i have been out most of the day doing errands and also attended a board meeting for an organization i am on the board of directors for, and i just realized, my shirt is on inside out. oh lordy.

#9 of 15 Old 03-18-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
well, listen, talk about numbskulls. it's 2 pm, i have been out most of the day doing errands and also attended a board meeting for an organization i am on the board of directors for, and i just realized, my shirt is on inside out. oh lordy.

early pregnancy brain!

I put mine on backwards earlier. Figured it out fast though because its a fancy shirt with a cute peekaboo tanktop underneath so the fact that it came up to my neck and did NOT fit over my boobs was a huge sign.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#10 of 15 Old 03-18-2010, 05:10 PM

early EARLY pregnancy brain, cuz i probably wont o until tomorrow. but i'll take that as a sign!

#11 of 15 Old 03-18-2010, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

HAHAHAHA...... awesome. I usually at any given time am walking around with one breast hanging outside of my nursing bra. Granted my shirt is on over it but still, one lump near my armpit, the other flapjack swinging at my waist. No wonder I can't get my DH to BD... I'm a freakshow.

#12 of 15 Old 03-18-2010, 05:57 PM

I too have been wondering the same thing! Like you, normally after O, I see a HUGE jump in temp that very next day...and if not, at the very least it's midway (still a good half a degree jump) and then even more the next day. I've never had any question with O because my temp was SOO CLEAR!

Until this cycle! Now grated, this is only my second PP AF, due to nursing. I'm now done nursing though, about 3 weeks ago.

Anyway, I was doing some reading and found this very interesting:
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/HelpC..._patterns.html

It talks about the different ovulation patterns...one of which is called slow rise another called sloping rise. Doesn't seem to be a problem...just one/two way of showing ovulation! Not what either of us are used to....but still seems to be actual ovulation.

Eventually it was clear that I did indeed O because my temps got to their normal LP temps...but it wasn't until 3/4 DPO.

I'm 12DPO...so I'll let you know if a slow rise can result in a pregnancy!

So....maybe in a few more days with a few more temps, you'll see if that's the case for you! Maybe you didn't O yet...but maybe you're having one of these slow or sloped rises!

Me (30), DH (31), DS (3.5 yrs - 5/07), DD (1.5 yr - 2/09) via VBAC!!! DS (newborn - 11/10) via natural VBAC! 2 angel babies - 06/06 & 04/08
#13 of 15 Old 03-18-2010, 06:03 PM

Oh sorry...i think you probably already knew what I posted...here I am TTC for the 5th time and I just found that out...so I was excited to share! Hahaha!

But, after having such destinct charts for so long...I never knew!

Me (30), DH (31), DS (3.5 yrs - 5/07), DD (1.5 yr - 2/09) via VBAC!!! DS (newborn - 11/10) via natural VBAC! 2 angel babies - 06/06 & 04/08
#14 of 15 Old 03-18-2010, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks MNHall! Good info. I'm glad I'm normal... sort of. We'll see what tomorrow brings. My temp might tank out, it's been slightly inching its way up, but I think I can I know to work a thermometer at this point. Speaking of which, I haven't temped in 3 hours!

Oh and to you!

#15 of 15 Old 03-18-2010, 09:22 PM

I also usually have a huge temp jump after O. The first time I saw a slow rise was when I got pregnant. My rise was literally .1-.2 per day for about 5 days.

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page