Can breastfeeding prevent implantation? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-05-2010, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone,
I’ve lurked on MDC for a while now, but this is my first time writing in. We’re ttc #2 but have had 3 unsuccessful cycles so far. Naturally I’m second-guessing everything I’m doing right now trying to figure out if that’s why we’re unsuccessful. I’m sure my question has been asked and answered many times, but I haven’t been able to find the answer myself. I thought you ladies would have some thoughts. If this isn’t the appropriate place to ask, please let me know where would be.

Before DD was born, I never thought I’d nurse, but I promised dp I’d at least try for 3 months. Now at 25 months, dd is still nursing. I love it and dd loves it. We’re down to 3-5 times a day (morning wake-up, before nap, before bed, and maybe 1-2 more times during the day if she needs comforting). AF returned 15 months pp and has been very regular (28-29 days) for at least 7 months now. Antral follicle count is fine (>15). Ultrasounds have shown that I get a mature follicle, uterine lining is fine, and my luteal phase is long enough (14 days). I’m sure I’m O’ing (prog. is normal, temp rises).

I know 3 months isn’t a long time trying, but dd set the bar high (conceived the first try). Like with dd, we’re doing IUI, same frozen donor sperm, using OPKs and monitor. The only real difference now is I’m nursing, and I’m 37.

So, I’m left wondering: since I know I’m ovulating, could bf’ing my dd be preventing implantation?

TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 04-05-2010, 03:55 PM

Usually if breastfeeding is going to effect fertility it will be by suppressing ovulation or by inhibiting implantation because of a shorter Leutal Phase.

Since you have a long Leutal Phase and have said your lining is fine, it's unlikely that it's actually preventing implantation.

But for some reason, some women just don't conceive very well when nursing. Have you had your prolactin levels checked, just to see how high they are? Often times there is no real answer other than perhaps mother nature knows what our bodies are capable of handling. It's possible your body just isn't wanting/able, for whatever reason, to handle another pregnancy while still nursing.

More than likely though it's like you said, that you were just one of the fortunate ones the first time to get pregnant so easily and this time it's just going to take a little longer.

I've gotten pregnant a total of 6 times while breastfeeding. Out of those pregnancies, I've brought home two healthy babies. In one case I know for sure the loss had nothing to do with nursing, but the others, I'm not so sure. Actually, in two of the losses, I'm 99% sure that nursing did play a part due to a short LP.

Anyways, good luck and hopefully you'll see that BFP very soon.
#3 of 4 Old 04-05-2010, 07:44 PM

There is so much about our bodies that are unsure, you know? I have gotten pregnant twice while nursing (and boy does she nurse a lot - she nurses around 10+ times a day and all night still). First baby was lost due to a short LP, second baby was chromosomal, and it took 6 months to get pregnant with the second baby. I did take B6 which suppresses prolactin from ovulation on the cycle I got pregnant with the second loss, and also cut out caffeine totally (I drank a lot of it before). That being said, it's not uncommon to take up to 6 months if you both are healthy - you could take B6 with a compex B vitamin if you want to suppress the prolactin some, it couldn't hurt at this point, you know?

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#4 of 4 Old 04-08-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific Waves View Post

Hi everyone,

I’ve lurked on MDC for a while now, but this is my first time writing in. We’re ttc #2 but have had 3 unsuccessful cycles so far. Naturally I’m second-guessing everything I’m doing right now trying to figure out if that’s why we’re unsuccessful. I’m sure my question has been asked and answered many times, but I haven’t been able to find the answer myself. I thought you ladies would have some thoughts. If this isn’t the appropriate place to ask, please let me know where would be.

Before DD was born, I never thought I’d nurse, but I promised dp I’d at least try for 3 months. Now at 25 months, dd is still nursing. I love it and dd loves it. We’re down to 3-5 times a day (morning wake-up, before nap, before bed, and maybe 1-2 more times during the day if she needs comforting). AF returned 15 months pp and has been very regular (28-29 days) for at least 7 months now. Antral follicle count is fine (>15). Ultrasounds have shown that I get a mature follicle, uterine lining is fine, and my luteal phase is long enough (14 days). I’m sure I’m O’ing (prog. is normal, temp

I know 3 months isn’t a long time trying, but dd set the bar high (conceived the first try). Like with dd, we’re doing IUI, same frozen donor sperm, using OPKs and monitor. The only real difference now is I’m nursing, and I’m 37.

So, I’m left wondering: since I know I’m ovulating, could bf’ing my dd be preventing implantation?

TIA.

Hi, I know this is a very old post but I have searched the internet for info on bf and implantation and found nothing. Pacific Waves I am in the position you were in 2010 except doing FET not iui. Our first IVF cycle resulted in my daughter now 16 months and feeding a lot still. Did you ever find out if bf was preventing implantation?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page