trying to get pregnant while BF - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-01-2010, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been trying to get pregnant for the past 3 months (my son is 13 months old on May 3rd), without success (my first pregnancy I got pregnant on the first try). I am still nursing my son at night (before bed and night wakings) and occasionally in the morning and everyone keeps telling me that's why I can't get pregnant and I need to stop. I still find the bonding experience wonderful and I want to continue to provide my current child with the best nutrition and immune function possible. I'm tired of the pressure to stop breastfeeding based on his age. Has anyone else had this issue? What did you do to finally become pregnant, short of quitting breastfeeding?

Thanks!
#2 of 4 Old 05-01-2010, 04:17 AM

Well, I have gotten pregnant twice while nursing - my DD nurses a LOT more than your son does though. So far no sticky babies though. Usually nursing causes your luteal phase to be too short to sustain a pregnancy, but it really depends on the woman. My first m/c was due to short LP, my second was most likely chromosomal so it didn't have anything to do with nursing. It can take up to 6 months for the normal healthy couple to get pregnant, so 3 months isn't that long. Keep trying, I wouldn't worry too much. Also, there is a TTC while nursing thread on here, come and join us!

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#3 of 4 Old 05-01-2010, 09:50 AM

I have done it twice! There are mamas who get pregnant while nursing all the time. If you don't want to stop nursing then don't...you won't get a do over you know? You really lucked out getting that eggy the first time with your DS...the chance for a perfectly healthy couple each month is only 20-30% anyway...three months TTC is right within the norm! Try not to stress, chart your cycle and enjoy yourself! I know, I know easier to say than to do!

And welcome!

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#4 of 4 Old 05-01-2010, 11:16 AM

I had a m/c because of short LP (probably because of nursing). I finally got pregnant when DS was 20 months old using vitex and B6 to increase LP length. Be aware though that getting pregnant will decrease your milk supply DRAMATICALLY (at least it did for me) and now at 18 weeks pregnant, we are down to nursing only twice a day and I just realized that my milk is all gone

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page