do you get a tightness in the ovary/foreign object in the ovary feeling if pregnant? when taking progesterone? never? every cycle? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-20-2010, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Hi,
in the past, whenever i have been pregnant in the tww, i have had a distinctive tightness in the ovary/foreign object in the ovary feeling. I have never had this feeling otherwise.
That is, until the last two cycles, where i had this feeling, but got a bfn. I have taken 200mg of progesterone in these cycles though.

Ive read that other women, but not all, also experience this feeling when pregnant in the tww.

Others have said they feel it every cycle, and its nothing unusual.

It could be implantation, it could be a luteal cyst, it could be an ovarian cyst. (are they the same thing?) Im not sure what that feels like.

So my question is, would this feeling be a byproduct of progesterone?
Or did i have a chemical pregnancy (very unlikely since i got bfn, and never went past 15dpo) Could it be an ovarian cyst?

I really hope this is a byproduct of progesterone, though i cant figure out how.

Does anyone know, or care to guess?

In my case, if it is, then thats a good thing. If not, then maybe i had 2 chemical pregnancies,....that means bad eggs. Better to have missed an egg that might be ok(which i think i did in both cases), than to not have missed them, but to have mostly bad eggs.

Grateful for any input... I would especially like to hear frpom those who do get this feeling when pregnant, and also from those that have seen it to be a byproduct of progesterone...and anyone who has had ovarian cyst, is that what they feel like?
Maya
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2010, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i feel that almost every cycle- most likely the corpus luteum- also called luteal cyst and follicular cyst and ovarian cyst (it's one type of.) but it could entirely be true that for you it is r/t pregnancy, because once the baby implants, it sends the message (via hcg) to the cyst that yep, there's a baby, start pumping out the progesterone. sometimes they grow- they can or can not, it just depends on whether the hole the follicle pops out of seals or not. and it's ok either way. i had one get very large in one of my pregs, it actually burst, but it was ok.

Every good and perfect gift is from above.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Ouch! I hope that didnt hurt!
You say that the cyst sends a message to make more progesterone, i wonder if already having progesterone in the system could heighten the sensation of the cyst...doesnt sound logical, but i guess im wondering why i had this feeling in the last two months...also a chemical pregnancy would show up on a test presumably....
Old 05-20-2010, 05:25 PM

oh yeah it hurt. i literally saw stars. then a few hours later i started bleeding this watery, bloody, clotty stuff- thought for sure i was losing the baby (9 wks) but it was just the contents of the cyst, and the baby is now 13 years old. he was fine.

actually, no, it's the baby that sends the message to the cyst that it needs to keep pumping out progesterone (otherwise, the cyst withers and your progesterone drops, and af shows up from the withdrawal.) i dont know how taking progesterone would affect the cyst. generally, whenever you add exogenous hormones, it's called a negative feedback loop- it actually slows your own body's production of the hormone. that's how bcp's work, and why men who take steroids have side effects like testicular shrinkage. i do not know how it works in this case. however, even if you were on a steady dose of progesterone, it is plausible, i think, that the hcg could still tell your cyst to go ahead and ramp up production. even if you need progesterone because your corpus lutuei are wimpy and dont do a good enough job to support your luteal phase, that doesnt mean they arent doing anything, just not enough. in any case, when i feel what you are describing, it's my cysts. of course, keep an eye on it. if you ever get severe pain, that's not normal, call your doc.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmab View Post
in any case, when i feel what you are describing, it's my cysts. of course, keep an eye on it. if you ever get severe pain, that's not normal, call your doc.
I agree, this sounds exactly like when I have cysts.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
Old 05-20-2010, 05:48 PM

when not pregnant I would get twinges, like O pain, right where my ovary would be... several days before AF was due

with this pregnancy I had pinching at 5/6dpo... not like O pain at all, a bit further down and a whole different feeling altogether.

I figured I was just constipated and it was something to do with that (until after I got the bfp and looked back at my posts lol)

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for your replies.
.....no pain, so im not worried. just a tight feeling. still doesnt sound particularly like a progesterone symptom, but i'll think about it more.

Also, would a chemical pregnancy necessarily show up on a test? Could it be an implantation that is unsuccessful due to other factors (thin endometrium for eg). It seems this might not show up on a test, because not enough hcg is produced.

Also, i think its a coincidence in my case that i would get this feeling only when there is a possibility of pregnancy, and at no other time in my entire lifetime. So it begs an explanation.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contactmaya View Post
Also, i think its a coincidence in my case that i would get this feeling only when there is a possibility of pregnancy, and at no other time in my entire lifetime. So it begs an explanation.
Or... you know... you actually get it other times but since you arent wondering if you are pregnant or not, you overlook it. We ALL get symptoms when TTC that seem so out of the ordinary for us but are probably something we actually went through every cycle but totally overlooked.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:36 PM

agree. and you just cant torture yourself about is it a chemical or not- you will drive yourself crazy. i try not to read to much into the unknown, cuz, it's unknown, so what's the purpose, really, other than to make me bonkers.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

yeah, i agree with that.
In any case, new information... i have just had the weakest period i have ever had. Thats a thin endometrium if ever i saw one, or maybe i didnt ovulate, and that whole ovulation pain was just for fun.

So you can guess what my next post is going to be about ;-)

User Tag List