Giving Up Caffeine While TTC? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 07-01-2010, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Ladies,

We are planning to start actively ttc #3 in October and I am wondering if I need to start cutting back on caffeine now. I currently drink 2-3 cups of coffee per day. I gave up caffeine completely with my last two pregnancies after I found out I was pregnant, but I am older now (34) and fully aware that it may not be as easy for me to get pregnant as it was before in my early twenties.

I know that too much caffeine during the 1st trimester increases the chances of miscarriage, but does it affect your chances of conceiving as well?

Any experiences or thoughts you have to share on this subject would be much appreciated. Thanks!
#2 of 17 Old 07-01-2010, 01:37 PM

personally I dont worry about it and havent had a problem

from what ive read if you want to optimize it... just drink 1 cup per day.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#3 of 17 Old 07-01-2010, 01:46 PM

I try to keep it under 5 servings a day, the recommendation for pregant women. Then again, I haven't been able to stay pregnant, so you might want to do something different than me. LOL

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#4 of 17 Old 07-01-2010, 01:52 PM

I got pregnant with DS at 36 first try drinking 4-5 cups a day. However I quit coffee 6 months and one pregnancy ago and haven't been able to get a baby to stick. Maybe the caffiene was holding it all togerher.

Me jammin.gif DH  REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 06/06 superhero.gif ...MC 2/9 11/9 5/10
#5 of 17 Old 07-01-2010, 01:54 PM

I have never worried about it. However, at this point, the only caffeine I have is from green tea and I tend to drink it once or twice a day.

In the past I drank 2 cups of coffee and coke about once a day - including while pregnant

That all said, it can't hurt to give it up (unless it means you are super exhausted).

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#6 of 17 Old 07-01-2010, 02:04 PM

there have been some medical studies that suggest increased caffiene intake (I think it was more than 2 8oz cups per day) correlates with lower rates of pregnancy. There were similar findings for low-moderate alcohol use.

That said, the last time I got pregnant I was bartending and drinking a LOT of red bull to make it through my shifts, and we conceived him without even trying. I quit caffeine prior to ttc this time because withdrawls are really a b!tch for me and I didn't want them on top of morning sickness.

Cami, wife to a guy and mom to some kids. Expecting someone new in Februrary!â¢â¢â¢â¢5â¢â¢â¢â¢10â¢â¢â¢â¢15â¢â¢â¢â¢20â¢â¢â¢25â¢â¢â¢â¢30â¢â¢â¢â¢35â¢â¢â¢â¢40
#7 of 17 Old 07-01-2010, 02:24 PM

I would say that if you intend to not drink coffee/caffeine while pregnant, it would probably be easier if you could quit before you get pregnant. I found out last week that I was pregnant and I LOVE coffee and needed the caffeine. I quit cold turkey and those first couple of days were so hard because not only was I tired from the pregnancy, the caffeine withdrawals were kicking my butt too! I would have rather only had to deal with those things one at a time.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#8 of 17 Old 07-01-2010, 05:43 PM

I have quit now while TTC for the same reason, I don't want to deal with the headaches and cranky once I'm actually pregnant. Amazingly, I have a ton of energy and actually wake up in the morning not groggy. I got up this morning an hour early and worked out. I have never done that in my life.

treehugger.giftrekkie.gif married to Mikestillheart.gif Mama to my furry babies cat.gifjust gave birth to our first babyf.gif DS.

#9 of 17 Old 07-01-2010, 10:11 PM

"Caffeine increases estrogen levels. A study from Fertility and Sterility shows that drinking just two cups of coffee a day boosts levels of estradiol, a natural estrogen. Women who drink 4-5 cups of coffee a day produce 70% more estrogen in the follicular phase of the menstrual cycle, when the body is trying to produce a viable follicle for ovulation."*

If you do not normally have problems with your fertility caffeine may not be that big of a deal, but if you have any hormonal issues it may be best to avoid it.

*http://natural-fertility-info.com/

Herbalist, CD Mother of 2 boys, age 11 and 9
#10 of 17 Old 07-02-2010, 03:22 PM

Like someone else said, I cut out caffeine when I started TTC only because I didn't want to go through withdrawl while pg. Actually, I don't miss it! I do allow myself to have the occasional coke or something though. I drink herbal tea now instead.

#1 stork-boy.gif born after IVF.

#11 of 17 Old 07-02-2010, 11:06 PM
TTC

Hi I'm a new member and this is my first post. I used to drink several cups of coffee a day for years up until last week because I've been reading it makes it harder to conceive as it restricts blood flow to the follicles. Needless to say I am suffering major withdrawl symptoms and it's not fun but am hoping to get through it.
#12 of 17 Old 07-03-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
I have never worried about it. However, at this point, the only caffeine I have is from green tea and I tend to drink it once or twice a day.

In the past I drank 2 cups of coffee and coke about once a day - including while pregnant

That all said, it can't hurt to give it up (unless it means you are super exhausted).

To the Original Thread - I am trying to reduce my caffeine intake. I usually only have one cup of coffee a day but I tend to get in a lot of tea. I do want to keep it under the number. I'm very new ttc#1 next month so I would almost want to give it up completely but I'm not sure we have to.

I did want to comment on green tea though - as much as I love it - and have drank 5+ cups a day for the metabolic effects, I have read that too much can decrease folic acid!

I'm not sure of everything, but just going to keep the green tea to a few times per week for now and perhaps cut it all out and drink safe herbals.

Heather (33) married to DH (28) since 2/10. #1 due 5/11
#13 of 17 Old 07-04-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justimaginelove View Post
"Caffeine increases estrogen levels. A study from Fertility and Sterility shows that drinking just two cups of coffee a day boosts levels of estradiol, a natural estrogen. Women who drink 4-5 cups of coffee a day produce 70% more estrogen in the follicular phase of the menstrual cycle, when the body is trying to produce a viable follicle for ovulation."*

If you do not normally have problems with your fertility caffeine may not be that big of a deal, but if you have any hormonal issues it may be best to avoid it.

*http://natural-fertility-info.com/
#14 of 17 Old 07-04-2010, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
If you still want to drink more than one cup a day, cut your regular coffee grinds with about 2/3 swiss water decaf. That way you still get less caffiene but it still tastes like normal coffee. 2/3 decaf was as high as I could go without affecting the flavor. Also because you only have 1/3 the caffeine, you can have a few more cups if you feel like it.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#15 of 17 Old 07-05-2010, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've struggled with this topic, as it's now been over two years of TTC and I want to feel like I can LIVE while ttc. I've quit coffee several times and it didn't make a lick of difference for me, and at some point I got angry and frustrated and went back on. Same with alcohol. And exercise (should I during the TWW...should I not? Is exercising/not exercising the REASON we're not preg?)

Now, however, we're undergoing expensive fertility treatments, so I'm feeling like at least for now I should play by the book. I'm drinking much more decaf coffee and much less real coffee (a cup or less a day), and I'm not drinking alcohol during my tww. I also have started doing yoga, my mission being to do it daily but realistically every other day. The only times I got pregnant (m/c) were while I was regularly exercising...hm....you'd think that would motivate me more. I'm just so damn SICK of this journey. I think there's no "answer" to what you should do during TTC, and it could drive you crazy. You just have to do what feels right to your body, AND your sanity.

Our little miracles are here!!joy.gif
energy.gif DD Born 7/15/11 biggrinbounce.gif DS Born 4/3/13
love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Auntie to Nell, Greta, Maggie, and Elsa!

Remembering our 3 losses

#16 of 17 Old 07-05-2010, 02:56 PM

I have been TTC for quite awhile, almost five years, in fact (with a few breaks). I've quit caffeine many times, but it is hard. I don't drink coffee or tea, my caffeine of choice is soda.

I think, ideally, if you can quit completely, you should. Right now, I'm just trying to keep it to a reasonable amount.

43 w/Emphysema - TTC from 2005 - 2013. 2 miscarriages in 2008. Good things do not come to those who wait.

#17 of 17 Old 07-06-2010, 02:31 AM

It is a very good idea. Caffeine cuts your chances of fertility and conception. I gave up caffeine, alcohol, smoking, sugar and upped intake of water and vegetables while TTC. It sucked, and I was very exhausted but a little bundle of joy is worth it!!!

*baby dust**

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page